Showing results 1 to 25 of 125
Search took 0.01 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: John Smith[_5_]
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras January 22nd 09, 09:43 PM Posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 27
Posted By John Smith[_5_]
D3x versus D300 high ISO

What does "cropped (25%) 16x20" mean? How does 25% play into your
statement?

"measekite" wrote in message
On Thu, 22...
Forum: Digital Photography January 22nd 09, 09:43 PM Posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 20
Posted By John Smith[_5_]
D3x versus D300 high ISO

What does "cropped (25%) 16x20" mean? How does 25% play into your
statement?

"measekite" wrote in message
On Thu, 22...
Forum: Digital Photography January 22nd 09, 09:15 PM Posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 20
Posted By John Smith[_5_]
D3x versus D300 high ISO

Exactly!

"Dimitris M" wrote in message
The real potential of D3x is not in 1600 ISO, but in 100 ISO, in studio or
landscape, where the...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras January 22nd 09, 09:15 PM Posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 27
Posted By John Smith[_5_]
D3x versus D300 high ISO

Exactly!

"Dimitris M" wrote in message
The real potential of D3x is not in 1600 ISO, but in 100 ISO, in studio or
landscape, where the...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras January 22nd 09, 07:27 PM Posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 27
Posted By John Smith[_5_]
D3x versus D300 high ISO

Very good point Dave.

The D3x will show ZERO advantage over a D3, D300, and D700 until you get to
perhaps 16x20 prints, or probably 20x30 and above. And there, I imagine the
D3x will be superior...
Forum: Digital Photography January 22nd 09, 07:27 PM Posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 20
Posted By John Smith[_5_]
D3x versus D300 high ISO

Very good point Dave.

The D3x will show ZERO advantage over a D3, D300, and D700 until you get to
perhaps 16x20 prints, or probably 20x30 and above. And there, I imagine the
D3x will be superior...
Forum: Digital Photography January 3rd 09, 11:09 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 79
Posted By John Smith[_5_]
Nikon AF Long Lens under $9,000 !! s

Do you really think the "Canberra Internet crimes squad" (if it really even
does exist) really gives a rats ass about some "Pete D" and "D. Mac" ****ing
at each other about a camera lens? Give me a...
Forum: Digital Photography January 2nd 09, 08:00 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 79
Posted By John Smith[_5_]
Nikon AF Long Lens under $9,000 !! s

Who the **** is this egomaniacal asshole named Navas? This guy has a major
"short dick complex" trying to convince the world he knows what he's talking
about when he clearly doesn't.

I'd be VERY...
Forum: Digital Photography January 2nd 09, 07:55 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 79
Posted By John Smith[_5_]
Nikon AF Long Lens under $9,000 !! s

Well put. The inherent shutter lag in ALL P&S and bridge cameras renders
them useless for fast action sports, and fast moving birds.

I do already HAVE a P&S digicam for exactly what they are...
Forum: Digital Photography January 2nd 09, 05:25 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 79
Posted By John Smith[_5_]
Nikon AF Long Lens under $9,000 !! s

Paul,

I would think one could get the 300 f/4 VR + 1.4x TC for around $1,500
couldn't one?

John
Forum: Digital Photography January 2nd 09, 01:41 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 79
Posted By John Smith[_5_]
Nikon AF Long Lens under $9,000 !! s

Thanks Pete!

"Pete D" wrote in message

"John Smith" wrote in message
Forum: Digital Photography January 2nd 09, 01:40 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 79
Posted By John Smith[_5_]
Nikon AF Long Lens under $9,000 !! s

Thanks Paul, for you kind and reasoned reply - unlike the self-idolizing
hype from this San Francisco egomaniac IT salesman named Navas.

Isn't the world already full enough of these assholes who...
Forum: Digital Photography January 2nd 09, 01:15 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 79
Posted By John Smith[_5_]
Nikon AF Long Lens under $9,000 !! s

Well put, Caesar. I could give a rip about pixel count.

All I wanted was recommendation on a lens...

"Caesar Romano" wrote in message...
Forum: Digital Photography January 1st 09, 11:00 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 79
Posted By John Smith[_5_]
Nikon AF Long Lens under $9,000 !! s

No, he's right. A reply suggesting a P&S really is idiotic...

"John Navas" wrote in message
On Thu, 01 Jan 2009...
Forum: Digital Photography January 1st 09, 10:58 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 79
Posted By John Smith[_5_]
Nikon AF Long Lens under $9,000 !! s

Thank you. Exactly my response...

wrote in message
On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 13:45:09 -0800, in rec.photo.digital John Navas
Forum: Digital Photography January 1st 09, 10:23 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 79
Posted By John Smith[_5_]
Nikon AF Long Lens under $9,000 !! s

Thanks kindly. I've heard good things about the 200-400, but I'm wary of the
teleconverters for both quality and speed reasons.

What's been your experience with both the TC14 and TC20?

Would the...
Forum: Digital Photography January 1st 09, 09:48 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 79
Posted By John Smith[_5_]
Nikon AF Long Lens under $9,000 !! s

I've got a Nikon D3 and occasionally rent a 500mm or 600mm for sports,
surfing, and wildlife photography.

I'd love to buy one of Nikon's latest 400mm, 500mm or 600mm AF lenses but at
$7,500 -...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment September 8th 08, 06:01 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 12
Posted By John Smith[_5_]
Can one measure colour temperature with the Nikon D3?

Oops, my mistake. I misread your post. My apologies.

"Floyd L. Davidson" wrote in message
"John Smith" wrote:
You mean...
Forum: Digital Photography September 8th 08, 06:01 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 12
Posted By John Smith[_5_]
Can one measure colour temperature with the Nikon D3?

Oops, my mistake. I misread your post. My apologies.

"Floyd L. Davidson" wrote in message
"John Smith" wrote:
You mean...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment September 8th 08, 07:06 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 12
Posted By John Smith[_5_]
Can one measure colour temperature with the Nikon D3?

You mean to tell me that my Spot Meter in my D3 is useless when shooting
RAW? I haven't found that to be the case at all...

"Floyd L. Davidson" wrote in message...
Forum: Digital Photography September 8th 08, 07:06 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 12
Posted By John Smith[_5_]
Can one measure colour temperature with the Nikon D3?

You mean to tell me that my Spot Meter in my D3 is useless when shooting
RAW? I haven't found that to be the case at all...

"Floyd L. Davidson" wrote in message...
Forum: Digital Photography August 29th 08, 06:53 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 17
Posted By John Smith[_5_]
Vignette control on Nikon D3

Leica R9, you dumb ****.

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
On 8/28/2008 10:02 PM Steve spake thus:

On...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment August 29th 08, 06:53 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 18
Posted By John Smith[_5_]
Vignette control on Nikon D3

Leica R9, you dumb ****.

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
On 8/28/2008 10:02 PM Steve spake thus:

On...
Forum: 35mm Photo Equipment August 29th 08, 05:24 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 18
Posted By John Smith[_5_]
Vignette control on Nikon D3

**** OFF, David Nazi-zahl!

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
On 8/28/2008 9:59 AM Dave spake thus:
Forum: Digital Photography August 29th 08, 05:24 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm