Showing results 1 to 25 of 125
Search took 0.27 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Don Stauffer
Forum: Digital Photography October 6th 09, 05:01 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 32
Posted By Don Stauffer
So long, folks

I have been a member of this group for a number of years. But it has
turned into primarily a political discussion group, with only occasional
posts about digital photography. So long folks- FILE-...
Forum: Digital Photography September 30th 09, 02:59 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 0
Posted By Don Stauffer
Why all the noise about noise?

eNo wrote:
Along with rethinking my obsession with sharpness, I am also
reconsidering my outlook on noise. Yes, if I can take steps to avoid
noise that's a good thing, but if I don't completely...
Forum: Digital Photography September 26th 09, 03:13 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 24
Posted By Don Stauffer
Unsharp photography

Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
In article
,
eNo wrote:

Lately I've been wrestling with the question of...
Forum: Digital Photography September 22nd 09, 03:20 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 21
Posted By Don Stauffer
Photo ethics

YDOD wrote:
I have recently gone back to photography after an absence of 15 years or
so. My previous hobby was usually pictures of flowers, leaves and
insects typically with Kodachrome 64. I...
Forum: Digital Photography September 19th 09, 02:27 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 17
Posted By Don Stauffer
Current digital cameras

James Silverton wrote:
Hello All!

I have been away from discussions of the latest digital cameras and I
note that there are a number of attractive appearing models that are
neither DSLRs...
Forum: Digital Photography September 18th 09, 03:42 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 65
Posted By Don Stauffer
New newsgroup.....

David J Taylor wrote:
New newsgroup....

rec.photo.digital.politics

At least, I feel we would benefit for a separate place for all the
political discussions! They are out of place...
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras September 8th 09, 03:02 PM Posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Replies: 61
Posted By Don Stauffer
[SI] Intetesting is up!

Bowser wrote:
All the interesting shots have been posted he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/interesting

Why didn't you submit?

If you know that I didn't submit, you know that not all...
Forum: Digital Photography September 4th 09, 03:20 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 0
Posted By Don Stauffer
More megapixels means more noise? myth or truth

eNo wrote:
I've put together an article discussing how with the increase of
megapixels resolution counter-balances noise. The idea that more
megapixels worsens overall image noise is one that I...
Forum: Digital Photography August 31st 09, 02:53 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 5
Posted By Don Stauffer
Speaking of Closeup Lenses... Wow!

On 2009-08-31 06:35:40 -0700, Allen said:

Troy Piggins wrote:
* Twibil wrote :
Forum: Digital SLR Cameras August 28th 09, 03:12 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 95
Posted By Don Stauffer
Brand Loyalty - Why?

Mr. Curious wrote:
I see all this bickering over different brands of cameras and camera gear.
I've *never* understood this. If some company comes up with an innovative
technology or better ways...
Forum: Digital Photography August 28th 09, 03:12 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Replies: 107
Posted By Don Stauffer
Brand Loyalty - Why?

Mr. Curious wrote:
I see all this bickering over different brands of cameras and camera gear.
I've *never* understood this. If some company comes up with an innovative
technology or better ways...
Forum: Digital Photography August 27th 09, 03:06 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 0
Posted By Don Stauffer
Learning to frame with cropping

eNo wrote:
Cropping guilt nagged me for years until recently, when I realized
that cropping could teach me how to make better framing choices. In
quiet reflection in front of my computer...
Forum: Digital Photography August 27th 09, 03:01 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 0
Posted By Don Stauffer
Cloning and other reality altering acts

whisky-dave wrote:
"Don Stauffer" wrote in message
eNo wrote:
Do you feel guilty when you have to clone things out...
Forum: Digital Photography August 26th 09, 03:11 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 44
Posted By Don Stauffer
Cloning and other reality altering acts

Steve Sanders wrote:
That's the real danger of someone who clones too much. If they never
admitted it in the first place and are eventually found out ... their
career is over. That quick. One...
Forum: Digital Photography August 17th 09, 02:43 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 20
Posted By Don Stauffer
Compact with F0.5 lens

Alfred Molon wrote:
Just curious - would it be technically possible to build a compact
camera with a zoom lens starting at F0.5, or is there some reason from
physics which makes this...
Forum: Digital Photography August 13th 09, 03:53 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 25
Posted By Don Stauffer
What's going on?

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Chris Malcolm says...
In fact most web discussion forums are so badly designed and so
ill-suited to complex discussion...
Forum: Digital Photography August 12th 09, 03:37 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 25
Posted By Don Stauffer
What's going on?

JimJones wrote:
On 12 Aug 2009 11:25:21 GMT, Chris Malcolm wrote:

Newsgroup posting standards were evolved over the years by the people
most expert in resolving...
Forum: Digital Photography August 11th 09, 02:57 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 25
Posted By Don Stauffer
What's going on?

dj_nme wrote:
This NG seems to have gone to sleep in the last month.
Where is everyone?

Unfortunately, Usenet is dying. Some blame it on the spam, which on
many newsgroups far outnumber the...
Forum: Digital Photography August 10th 09, 02:53 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 13
Posted By Don Stauffer
Selecting sizes of images onto !0 X 5 sheet

bm wrote:
In the past I have carried out my own printing but I am now thinking of
selecting one of the professional firms to do this,
In the past I have printed all my photographs on an A4...
Forum: Digital Photography July 20th 09, 02:44 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 43
Posted By Don Stauffer
Diffrection limit for APS-C DSLRs

Alfred Molon wrote:
Just wondering what the smallest aperture is to avoid diffraction issues
is for APS-C DSLRs with

- 10MP and
- 14MP ?

I have read about this 1600/F formula, but...
Forum: Digital Photography July 19th 09, 02:42 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 1
Posted By Don Stauffer
What images sizes would I put in an "electronic press kit"?

Al Dykes wrote:
I may not have handled a "press kit", ever, but I know they exist and
who uses them. I want to prototype an example for a campaign web site
and I know that the local news media...
Forum: Digital Photography July 19th 09, 02:38 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 1
Posted By Don Stauffer
Object image not sharp

stvlai wrote:
Hi

Have a question to ask all those Photographer gurus here in this
forum :

Q1) Product Images not sharp
I shoot a Product Image under Manual Mode with 2 Strobe...
Forum: Digital Photography July 15th 09, 02:54 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 18
Posted By Don Stauffer
The good old days of rpd

I can remember when this was a relatively young newsgroup. By far the
majority of the messages involved arguments about which was better,
digital or film.

The good news is that those arguments...
Forum: Digital Photography July 11th 09, 03:04 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 20
Posted By Don Stauffer
Sony develops back-illuminated CMOS sensor, with twofold sensitivityand low noise

Alfred Molon wrote:
Seems to be old news, but I can't remember having seen this posted he

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/200806/08-069E/index.html

"The newly developed CMOS...
Forum: Digital Photography July 11th 09, 03:01 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Replies: 0
Posted By Don Stauffer
Lens speed: Not always the best choice

RichA wrote:
People buy fast lenses for 2 reasons:
-The want the speed to capture action.
-They want the shallow DOF afforded by such lenses.

For for the first reason, speed is not always...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 125