Showing results 1 to 25 of 125
Search took 0.83 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Paul Rubin
Forum: Digital Photography September 21st 07, 03:17 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 13
Posted By Paul Rubin
ripping webarchives with historic or art photos

Marvin writes:
Many museums will let you photograph the art works. I do it myself
quite often. A photo of the art is subject to copyright; I own the
copyright to a photo...
Forum: Digital Photography August 31st 07, 05:35 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 46
Posted By Paul Rubin
Why B&W?

"default" writes:
"Paul Rubin" wrote in message
Everything looks better in black and white.
The real lyrics we
everything looks...
Forum: Digital Photography August 31st 07, 08:38 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 46
Posted By Paul Rubin
Why B&W?

Bucky writes:
I kind of agree with you that a lot of people feel that making a black
and white photo will automatically increase the "artistic" value of
their photo, and...
Forum: Digital Photography August 31st 07, 07:56 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 46
Posted By Paul Rubin
Why B&W?

"Paul Bartram" p.bartram AT OR NEAR mysoul.com.au writes:
Surfing through picture sharing sites like Flickr, PBase and Smugmug, I
can't help notice that a lot of people post what would...
Forum: Digital Photography August 28th 07, 08:04 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 13
Posted By Paul Rubin
Whatever happened to fast-charge batteries?

mike writes:
Last few weeks I've picked up some AA battery chargers at garage sales.
got a 30 minute one, a 15 minute one and a 8.5 minute one.
Went looking for batteries...
Forum: Digital Photography August 25th 07, 04:33 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 9
Posted By Paul Rubin
18mm or 20mm lens

"Kevin" writes:
'm looking to buy a wide angle or wide angle zoom lens for my Nikon D50. It
needs to be 18mm or 20mm at least and my price range in $200 to $300.

Get the...
Forum: Digital Photography August 17th 07, 09:06 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 16
Posted By Paul Rubin
Printing photos with cheap colour lasers

writes:
Has anyone here printed photos with an entry-level colour laser
printer like the HP 1600, 2600 or their competitors ?

We have a somewhat fancier one where I work but...
Forum: Digital Photography August 11th 07, 12:22 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 9
Posted By Paul Rubin
Digital camera with stereo sound recording

rainandsnow writes:
Is there a digital camera, preferable compact, capable of quality
stereo sound recordings of over an hour??

I made some nice stereo...
Forum: Digital Photography April 4th 07, 04:10 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 23
Posted By Paul Rubin
Nikon D40 for first time dSLR?

"David J. Littleboy" writes:
What f/2.0 or faster Nikon lens will AF with the D40?

The Nikon AF-S VR Nikkor 200mm/2.0 G IF-ED is very popular with D40
users, I've always heard.
Forum: Digital Photography April 3rd 07, 05:45 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 7
Posted By Paul Rubin
VIBRATION REDUCTION worth the cost to upgrade?

"cassia" writes:
I'm looking to buy an 80-200 2.8 nikkor af ed lens; one I can get on a
great discount for about $515 because it was used as a Demo lens, but
is in...
Forum: Digital Photography April 2nd 07, 05:35 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 27
Posted By Paul Rubin
New / Upcoming Cameras (Nikons in particular)

"Rich" writes:
Plus, resolution exceeding that of a Bayer 6 meg colour sensor owing
to a lack of AA filter.

The AA filter should stay on. I can imagine some applications...
Forum: Digital Photography April 1st 07, 11:48 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 27
Posted By Paul Rubin
New / Upcoming Cameras (Nikons in particular)

timeOday writes:
I just don't see when a 2MP sensor would be any better than an 8MP
sensor of the same size. For minimum noise, you could just average
together...
Forum: Digital Photography April 1st 07, 09:38 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 19
Posted By Paul Rubin
A bird with a bad attitude

Ken Lucke writes:
Go with the less expensive batteries you find on eBay - they work
fine, if you don't expect their claims of almost double the mAh
ratings of the Canon...
Forum: Digital Photography April 1st 07, 05:12 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 27
Posted By Paul Rubin
New / Upcoming Cameras (Nikons in particular)

dj_nme writes:
I don't know why 4mp.
If the current D200 sensor is modified by removing the Bayer mask it
would then be a 10.2mp monochrome sensor.

I picked 4MP because...
Forum: Digital Photography March 29th 07, 07:14 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 27
Posted By Paul Rubin
New / Upcoming Cameras (Nikons in particular)

"Manzoorul Hassan" writes:
The D200 was available, but way too out of my budget, when I got my
D50. But both the D80 and the D40 came out since. I now wish I'd
Forum: Digital Photography March 28th 07, 12:47 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 13
Posted By Paul Rubin
Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 D

"David Ruether" writes:
That looks like the original version with no tripod collar?
Yes to both posters - but optically I think they are
identical. In any case, the...
Forum: Digital Photography March 27th 07, 09:23 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 13
Posted By Paul Rubin
Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 D

"David Ruether" writes:
its range. BTW, the excellent sample tried is FS for just
over $500 in mint condition with box, pictured here --
Forum: Digital Photography March 23rd 07, 07:29 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 11
Posted By Paul Rubin
On the fence..Nikon D80 vs. Canon XTI

Stefan Patric writes:
FWIW, I use my 30 year old Nikkor AI lenses on a Nikon D50. No problems.
No auto-focus/auto-exposure -- I rarely use either even when I use AF
lenses...
Forum: Digital Photography March 18th 07, 09:25 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 8
Posted By Paul Rubin
AA filter removal possible?

(Ray Fischer) writes:
Scammers. Anytime people start misrepresenting the effect of AA
filters you know that they're more interested in screwing people out
of $450 than they...
Forum: Digital Photography March 17th 07, 10:23 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 8
Posted By Paul Rubin
AA filter removal possible?

Rita Ä Berkowitz ritaberk2O04 @aol.com writes:
I'm not sure after looking at the pictures from the "hot rod 5D" if this mod
is really worth it. What is that funny looking thing in the bottom...
Forum: Digital Photography March 17th 07, 10:06 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 8
Posted By Paul Rubin
AA filter removal possible?

"acl" writes:
Seems that they can do this:
http://www.maxmax.com/hot_rod_visible.htm

This is fantastic, thanks.
Forum: Digital Photography March 17th 07, 08:54 PM Posted to rec.photo.digital
Replies: 8
Posted By Paul Rubin
AA filter removal possible?

Is it possible to remove the anti-alias filter from a DSLR sensor, as
it's sometimes possible to remove the IR cut filter?

This is for a special technical application, not general...
Forum: Digital Photography March 17th 07, 03:55 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Replies: 277
Posted By Paul Rubin
low light

"acl" writes:
Is there experimental validation for this claim? My experience has
been not so encouraging but I'm probably not using the best possible
Forum: Digital Photography March 17th 07, 03:12 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Replies: 277
Posted By Paul Rubin
low light

"David J. Littleboy" writes:
The point/claim is that pixel binning (or noise reduction plus downsampling)
will result in the same image as the larger pixels would have in lower...
Forum: Digital Photography March 17th 07, 03:11 AM Posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Replies: 277
Posted By Paul Rubin
low light

John Sheehy writes:
Your assistant is me, and I decide to replace the 16 containers with 64
square containers, 4 of which fit in the same space as 1 of yours. I come
back to you...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 125