PhotoBanter.com

-   Digital SLR Cameras (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Canon 200mm f1.8 - why did they stop making it (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=57276)

rugbyphoto February 15th 06 06:34 PM

Canon 200mm f1.8 - why did they stop making it

Seems to be the perfect field side sports lens, why did they stop?

garry

www.rugbyphoto.com

[email protected] February 15th 06 08:21 PM

rugbyphoto wrote:

Seems to be the perfect field side sports lens, why did they stop?

Probably because they weren't selling well. Why ask here when a quick
phone call to Canon will answer the question?

[email protected] February 16th 06 12:43 AM

Canon 200mm f1.8 - why did they stop making it

John A. Stovall wrote:

Canon wanted to be Green and not use leaded glass in their lenses.

An incomplete theory sullied by unrelenting reality: had the demand
for the optic existed, Canon could have simply redesigned it.

BC February 17th 06 12:45 AM

Canon 200mm f1.8 - why did they stop making it

Lead-based flint glasses have all been replaced by titanium-based
glasses with identical optical properties. Even if a re-design were
necessary for the 200/1.8 it would be an almost trivial undertaking.

Brian

Skip M February 17th 06 02:55 AM

Canon 200mm f1.8 - why did they stop making it

wrote in message
ups.com...
John A. Stovall wrote:

Canon wanted to be Green and not use leaded glass in their lenses.

An incomplete theory sullied by unrelenting reality: had the demand
for the optic existed, Canon could have simply redesigned it.

If you don't think there's a demand for that lens, check the prices on ebay!
Sheesh!

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

rugbyphoto February 17th 06 04:07 AM

Canon 200mm f1.8 - why did they stop making it

Because no one I could speak to at Canon Canada appears to even recall
that they had such a lens :)

rugbyphoto February 17th 06 04:09 AM

Canon 200mm f1.8 - why did they stop making it

The ebay prices seem to be pretty much what you would have bought one
for so the demand remains high. I dream of finding the cash for one of
those beauties.

garry

www.rugbyphoto.com

Skip M February 17th 06 05:52 AM

Canon 200mm f1.8 - why did they stop making it

"rugbyphoto" wrote in message
oups.com...
The ebay prices seem to be pretty much what you would have bought one
for so the demand remains high. I dream of finding the cash for one of
those beauties.

garry

www.rugbyphoto.com

Yah, me too. Then, having found the cash, I'd have to find the
justification. Just having the fastest 200mm lens ever made seems sort of
weak, in light of the $4000 hole it would put in our back account.