PhotoBanter.com

-   -   New Toy and Heat wave. (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=132792)

Savageduck[_3_] May 27th 20 02:12 AM

New Toy and Heat wave.

My new Mavic Air 2 drone arrived just before noon today.

So most of my day has been taken up with battery charging, and firmware updates. I managed to get out for a maiden flight around 14:00 hrs with the temperature hovering at 104F (40C). Needless to say the heat drove me to shorten everything, and the one 4K 30fps 4 minute video I shot was OK until the midpoint when there was what looked like a ripple running through the playback. It looked like an imbedded heatwave.

Then I discovered that each of my 3 batteries had to have the battery firmware updated to match the drone system FW.

Now I am waiting for things to cool down so I can get out for a sunset flight a little longer than my first excursion in the heat.

Savageduck

Bill W May 27th 20 02:17 AM

New Toy and Heat wave.

On May 26, 2020, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

My new Mavic Air 2 drone arrived just before noon today.

So most of my day has been taken up with battery charging, and firmware
updates. I managed to get out for a maiden flight around 14:00 hrs with the
temperature hovering at 104F (40C). Needless to say the heat drove me to
shorten everything, and the one 4K 30fps 4 minute video I shot was OK until
the midpoint when there was what looked like a ripple running through the
playback. It looked like an imbedded heatwave.

Then I discovered that each of my 3 batteries had to have the battery
firmware updated to match the drone system FW.

Now I am waiting for things to cool down so I can get out for a sunset flight
a little longer than my first excursion in the heat.

How long does each battery last?

Savageduck[_3_] May 27th 20 02:31 AM

New Toy and Heat wave.

On May 26, 2020, Bill W wrote
(in ternal-september.org):

On May 26, 2020, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

My new Mavic Air 2 drone arrived just before noon today.

So most of my day has been taken up with battery charging, and firmware
updates. I managed to get out for a maiden flight around 14:00 hrs with the
temperature hovering at 104F (40C). Needless to say the heat drove me to
shorten everything, and the one 4K 30fps 4 minute video I shot was OK until
the midpoint when there was what looked like a ripple running through the
playback. It looked like an imbedded heatwave.

Then I discovered that each of my 3 batteries had to have the battery
firmware updated to match the drone system FW.

Now I am waiting for things to cool down so I can get out for a sunset flight
a little longer than my first excursion in the heat.

How long does each battery last?

Rated for 34 minutes, but realistically good for 28-30 minutes. I have 3.

Savageduck

Bill Vanek May 27th 20 03:14 AM

New Toy and Heat wave.

[...]

That’s better than I thought. How much do the batteries cost? How many come
with the drone?

Savageduck[_3_] May 27th 20 03:34 AM

New Toy and Heat wave.

On May 26, 2020, Bill Vanek wrote
(in ternal-september.org):

[...]

They are about $115 each.

The regular Mavic Air 2, which comes with one battery costs $799. However, if you buy their “Fly More” package for $988 you get 2 extra batteries, extra prop sets, a carry bag, a three battery charging bank, a set of 3 ND filters, and some other stuff. All for an extra $189 which is less than the $230 cost of two batteries.

Savageduck

Savageduck[_3_] May 27th 20 06:56 AM

New Toy and Heat wave.

On May 26, 2020, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

My new Mavic Air 2 drone arrived just before noon today.

So most of my day has been taken up with battery charging, and firmware updates. I managed to get out for a maiden flight around 14:00 hrs with the temperature hovering at 104F (40C). Needless to say the heat drove me to shorten everything, and the one 4K 30fps 4 minute video I shot was OK until the midpoint when there was what looked like a ripple running through the playback. It looked like an imbedded heatwave.

Then I discovered that each of my 3 batteries had to have the battery firmware updated to match the drone system FW.

Now I am waiting for things to cool down so I can get out for a sunset flight a little longer than my first excursion in the heat.

Well it finally cooled down a bit and I tried my hand at what amounted to my first drone flying, and more than a 2 minute iPhone video. I have never flown a drone of any type before, and I am not yet fully familiar with the capability, and features of the camera in the Mavic Air 2. Definately not an example of the smoothest cinematography, but a demonstration of the potential of this drone. So with those caveats here is 5+ minutes of a hot, dry part of California.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-8XFHcrH/0/4bc77bdd/1920/i-8XFHcrH-1920.mp4

Savageduck

newshound May 27th 20 12:34 PM

New Toy and Heat wave.

On 27/05/2020 06:56, Savageduck wrote:
[...]

Pretty stable, then! Was there any wind?

David_B[_3_] May 27th 20 01:22 PM

New Toy and Heat wave.

On 27/05/2020 12:34, newshound wrote:
[...]

I thought, for an almost first attempt, that the result is excellent. :-)

I'm sorely tempted to get a drone myself. My main concern is complying
with the laws concerning the operating of such an aircraft.

Savageduck[_3_] May 27th 20 02:46 PM

New Toy and Heat wave.

On May 27, 2020, newshound wrote
(in ):

[...]

The wind was stronger for my earlier attempt in the heat. For the footage in the above link it was about 5 MPH with 12 MPH gusts.

The stability of the MA2 is remarkable even with a ham-handed klutz such as yours truly at the controls. There is a fair amount of automation which helps along with good GPS, and positional software. All I need now is some more practice.

I have my FAA registration ($5), and at this point I am flying under the recreational UAS exclusion, which is fine with me as I can’t see myself doing any commercial work. This is just for fun.

Savageduck

ray carter May 27th 20 04:22 PM

New Toy and Heat wave.

On Tue, 26 May 2020 18:12:08 -0700, Savageduck wrote:

My new Mavic Air 2 drone arrived just before noon today.

So most of my day has been taken up with battery charging, and firmware
updates. I managed to get out for a maiden flight around 14:00 hrs with
the temperature hovering at 104F (40C). Needless to say the heat drove
me to shorten everything, and the one 4K 30fps 4 minute video I shot was
OK until the midpoint when there was what looked like a ripple running
through the playback. It looked like an imbedded heatwave.

Then I discovered that each of my 3 batteries had to have the battery
firmware updated to match the drone system FW.

Now I am waiting for things to cool down so I can get out for a sunset
flight a little longer than my first excursion in the heat.

Only 104? What's the problem.