PhotoBanter.com

-   -   The last days of analog (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=131417)

-hh April 19th 18 04:46 PM

The last days of analog

Worth the watch....

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/landscape-photographer-races-to-finish-decades-of-work

-hh

Carlos E.R. April 19th 18 08:08 PM

The last days of analog

On 2018-04-19 17:46, -hh wrote:
Worth the watch....

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/landscape-photographer-races-to-finish-decades-of-work

Wow.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Eric Stevens April 20th 18 03:40 AM

The last days of analog

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 08:46:57 -0700 (PDT), -hh
wrote:

Worth the watch....

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/landscape-photographer-races-to-finish-decades-of-work

Extraordinary colours. I wish I could do half as well.

Eric Stevens

nospam April 21st 18 01:37 AM

The last days of analog

In article ,
RichA wrote:

Seeing 8x10 images in the flesh is an experience. Will be a while before
digital really matches it and yet it will never look the same.

it's already surpassed it.

Eric Stevens April 21st 18 11:28 AM

The last days of analog

wrote:

Worth the watch....

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/landscape-photographer-races-to-finish-decades-of-work

Extraordinary colours. I wish I could do half as well.

Eric Stevens

Seeing 8x10 images in the flesh is an experience. Will be a while before digital really matches it and yet it will never look the same.

I've never used 8"x 10" but I have used 4"x 5", but never in colour. I
do like using a 'technical' camera with a large image. But the colour
in the above link is extraordinary. And yet I am seeing it via sRGB.
There is a lesson in there somewhere.

Eric Stevens

Eric Stevens April 21st 18 11:29 AM

The last days of analog

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 20:37:15 -0400, nospam

RichA wrote:

Seeing 8x10 images in the flesh is an experience. Will be a while before
digital really matches it and yet it will never look the same.

it's already surpassed it.

It's gone off in a different direction.

Eric Stevens

nospam April 21st 18 11:55 AM

The last days of analog

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Seeing 8x10 images in the flesh is an experience. Will be a while before
digital really matches it and yet it will never look the same.

it's already surpassed it.

It's gone off in a different direction.

that direction being forward. a lot forward.

Carlos E.R. April 21st 18 03:17 PM

The last days of analog

On 2018-04-21 02:37, nospam wrote:
In article ,
RichA wrote:

Seeing 8x10 images in the flesh is an experience. Will be a while before
digital really matches it and yet it will never look the same.

it's already surpassed it.

Care to point a link to a digital camera with a sensor that big, and
that can be "twisted" as his?

--
Cheers, Carlos.

PeterN[_7_] April 21st 18 03:26 PM

The last days of analog

On 4/20/2018 8:37 PM, nospam wrote:
In article ,
RichA wrote:

Seeing 8x10 images in the flesh is an experience. Will be a while before
digital really matches it and yet it will never look the same.

it's already surpassed it.

Expected response.

--
PeterN

Savageduck[_3_] April 21st 18 03:40 PM

The last days of analog

On Apr 21, 2018, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

wrote:

Worth the watch....

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/landscape-photographer-races-to-finish-decades-of-work
Extraordinary colours. I wish I could do half as well.

Seeing 8x10 images in the flesh is an experience. Will be a while before
digital really matches it and yet it will never look the same.

I've never used 8"x 10" but I have used 4"x 5", but never in colour. I
do like using a 'technical' camera with a large image. But the colour
in the above link is extraordinary. And yet I am seeing it via sRGB.
There is a lesson in there somewhere.

While there is the undeniable resolution improvement attained with the 8” x
10” sheets, the unique color is the result of the Ilford Cibachrome paper
he uses. It is the demise of that paper, and when his stockpile is finally
depleted is when he will finally abandon his darkroom. That is the finish he
is racing against.

Savageduck