PhotoBanter.com

-   Photographing Nature (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   looking for recommendations for an underwater digital (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=79614)

warren montgomery April 11th 07 02:45 PM

looking for recommendations for an underwater digital

I'm looking for a consumer grade underwater digital capable of taking
snorkeling shots. Because we go someplace I canuse it only once ever 2-3
years I'm looking for something that would be usable for other purposes
(like wet weather hiking), not a special purpose setup. I've been looking
at the Olympus 770 SW as about the only one I've seen that seems to fit this
category (i.e. enough capabilities to be worth carrying above the water,
good resolution, and not priced in the "pros only" category. It's still
pricey (about twice the cost of the Nikon point and shoot film camera I've
been using for this) but there doesn't seem to be anything like it. The
online reviews seem a bit mixed (not as good as a comparably priced
non-waterproof camera).

Anyone here have one or have another suggestion before I go ahead with it?

--
Warren Montgomery )
http://home.att.net/~wamontgomery