PhotoBanter.com

-   35mm Photo Equipment (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Video card for photo work (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=107967)

Martin Riddle August 14th 09 12:40 AM

Video card for photo work

I'm looking for a new video card thats good with working with images.
Dual monitor support etc...
I have a GT9400, which doesn't seem to be very good color wise. The
onboard Intel graphics seemed better.
Eventually I will get a spider and do color correction.

But what are you guys using?, out of curiosity. ATI, Nvidia, what mfg?

Cheers

Alan Browne August 14th 09 01:10 AM

Video card for photo work

Martin Riddle wrote:
I'm looking for a new video card thats good with working with images.
Dual monitor support etc...
I have a GT9400, which doesn't seem to be very good color wise. The
onboard Intel graphics seemed better.
Eventually I will get a spider and do color correction.

But what are you guys using?, out of curiosity. ATI, Nvidia, what mfg?

Whatever you get, I suggest that it be OpenCL compatible so that future
apps can use its processing power for various compute-intense processing
tasks not necessarily related to video. (I hope, for example, that such
is used by PS CS5 on the Mac, one sunny day so that some renderings can
be done much quicker).

I have NVidia on one machine and ATI Radeon on the Mac.

No matter what video card you have, if the display is cheap then so will
be the appearance of the image. (eg: Why put a cheap zoom lens in front
of a high end DSLR?).

Further, a digital interface (DVI) will also be more color accurate and
possible "crisper" in appearance on a really good display. (Vice analog).

[email protected] August 14th 09 02:28 AM

Video card for photo work

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 23:40:30 GMT, "Martin Riddle"
wrote:

I'm looking for a new video card thats good with working with images.
Dual monitor support etc...
I have a GT9400, which doesn't seem to be very good color wise. The
onboard Intel graphics seemed better.
Eventually I will get a spider and do color correction.

But what are you guys using?, out of curiosity. ATI, Nvidia, what mfg?

Cheers

I had weird problems with some Nvidia cards, but the 8800 I have now works well.
My other machine uses an ATI 3650 (I think) and it also runs well.

The gamma adjustment comes in very handy, on both cards.

The LCD monitor is very important as well, I think my newer Samsung 24" is the
best I have, my older Samsung is pretty poor... (too old). I also have an ACER
that is quite good, and an 'xplio' that isn't too bad. My LG is kinda pale, no
good for photos. As for the CRT type, my NEC is the best I've seen, but I don't
use it any more. Too big for my desk!

Atheist Chaplain[_3_] August 14th 09 04:20 AM

Video card for photo work

"Martin Riddle" wrote in message
I'm looking for a new video card thats good with working with images. Dual
monitor support etc...
I have a GT9400, which doesn't seem to be very good color wise. The
onboard Intel graphics seemed better.
Eventually I will get a spider and do color correction.

But what are you guys using?, out of curiosity. ATI, Nvidia, what mfg?

Cheers

I use an nVidia GT8500 and a properly "Spidered" monitor (HP w2207 ATM)
regardless of what video card you have it all gets back to your monitor, if
you have the best graphics card on the planet, the end result will always
look like crap if you spent $150 at the local computer fair for your
"Blazing Cherry" 30" monitor.

--
[This comment is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Church of
Scientology International]

Bowser August 15th 09 12:34 AM

Video card for photo work

"Martin Riddle" wrote in message
I'm looking for a new video card thats good with working with images. Dual
monitor support etc...
I have a GT9400, which doesn't seem to be very good color wise. The
onboard Intel graphics seemed better.
Eventually I will get a spider and do color correction.

But what are you guys using?, out of curiosity. ATI, Nvidia, what mfg?

NVidia FX 3700. It's very good. But, if I were buying a card and monitor
today I'd go for one of the cards and monitors that offer Displayport
interface. I understand it can pass more info than DVI. I think...

Martin Riddle August 15th 09 03:22 AM

Video card for photo work

"Bowser" wrote in message
. com...

"Martin Riddle" wrote in message
I'm looking for a new video card thats good with working with images.
Dual monitor support etc...
I have a GT9400, which doesn't seem to be very good color wise. The
onboard Intel graphics seemed better.
Eventually I will get a spider and do color correction.

But what are you guys using?, out of curiosity. ATI, Nvidia, what
mfg?

NVidia FX 3700. It's very good. But, if I were buying a card and
monitor today I'd go for one of the cards and monitors that offer
Displayport interface. I understand it can pass more info than DVI. I
think...

I was actually looking at the Dell Ultrasharp 24" to replace my samsung
700ift, The ultrasharp has a Displayport.
Unfortunately all the video cards that have a displayport, are power
hungry 48xx stuff. O well.....

Thanks for pointing that out.

Cheers

Martin Riddle August 19th 09 11:43 PM

Video card for photo work

"Larry Thong" wrote in message
m...
Martin Riddle wrote:

I was actually looking at the Dell Ultrasharp 24" to replace my
samsung 700ift, The ultrasharp has a Displayport.
Unfortunately all the video cards that have a displayport, are power
hungry 48xx stuff. O well.....

Why not just build a good system with a hefty power supply? My video
card
has two 8-pin power connectors and both are filled. The power supply
didn't
even burp!

Actually the 4890 has ok power dissipation. 45w idle and 120w full 3d
Some of the earlier radeon and nvidia stuff was much higher.
My 450w supply should be fine, as it is now with the 60W 9400 GT card.

Cheers

Martin Riddle August 19th 09 11:45 PM

Video card for photo work

Martin Riddle wrote:

I'm looking for a new video card thats good with working with images.
Dual monitor support etc...
I have a GT9400, which doesn't seem to be very good color wise. The
onboard Intel graphics seemed better.
Eventually I will get a spider and do color correction.

But what are you guys using?, out of curiosity. ATI, Nvidia, what
mfg?

ATI makes some really nice ones.

I'm leaning that route, I just discovered the Nvidia drivers have a bug
that shows up in Java graphics.

Cheers