PhotoBanter.com

-   -   The importance of a uv filter? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=9003)

Duffer August 10th 04 12:21 AM

The importance of a uv filter?

OK, I understand the need to protect the lens. But what else? (Yeah, I'm a
point and shoot kind of guy)

Beowulf August 10th 04 12:23 AM

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 23:21:35 +0000, Duffer wrote:

OK, I understand the need to protect the lens. But what else? ..

What else about what? Do you mean what other purpose does the UV filter
server?

--
"It said it needed Windows98 or better installed, so I installed Linux."

Jeremy Nixon August 10th 04 12:31 AM

Duffer wrote:

OK, I understand the need to protect the lens. But what else? (Yeah, I'm a
point and shoot kind of guy)

It cuts down the ultraviolet light entering the camera, to prevent it from
affecting the picture. In practice, digital sensors are far less sensitive
to UV light than film is, so, not much need. Infrared can be much more of
an issue than ultraviolet with digital. (Your digital camera has a filter
built in to block infrared light.)

--
Jeremy |

Hans-Georg Michna August 10th 04 03:37 PM

The importance of a uv filter?

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 23:21:35 GMT, "Duffer"
wrote:

OK, I understand the need to protect the lens. But what else? (Yeah, I'm a
point and shoot kind of guy)

Duffer,

normally there is no need to protect the lens. Every filter
degrades your lens performance, mainly through additional
reflections which reduce contrast and create bright spots in
night photos.

Therefore I recommend to use a filter only when you really need
it.

Lenses have a hard coating, so wiping of dust or fingerprints
with suitable materials is no problem.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.