PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Where I keep my spare cats. (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=130367)

David B.[_2_] May 16th 17 08:23 AM

Where I keep my spare cats.

Looking through my Dropbox folder, I decided to share this with you!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyccg6cbsa...ats.j pg?dl=0

Have a fun day, guys! :-)

--
David B.

Eric Stevens May 16th 17 10:25 AM

Where I keep my spare cats.

On Tue, 16 May 2017 08:23:46 +0100, "David B."
wrote:

Looking through my Dropbox folder, I decided to share this with you!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyccg6cbsa...ats.j pg?dl=0

Have a fun day, guys! :-)

Here is another
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjseto2r2v...02208.jpg?dl=0

It looked OK when I linked it but now it looks oversharpened to me.

Eric Stevens

David B.[_2_] May 16th 17 10:34 AM

Where I keep my spare cats.

wrote:

Looking through my Dropbox folder, I decided to share this with you!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyccg6cbsa...ats.j pg?dl=0

Have a fun day, guys! :-)

Here is another
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjseto2r2v...02208.jpg?dl=0

It looked OK when I linked it but now it looks oversharpened to me.

Has the cat on the right got a mouse? I wasn't too sure!

David B.[_2_] May 16th 17 10:51 AM

Where I keep my spare cats.

On 5/16/2017 10:43 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 16 May 2017 08:23:51 UTC+1, David B. wrote:
Looking through my Dropbox folder, I decided to share this with you!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyccg6cbsa...ats.j pg?dl=0

Have a fun day, guys! :-)

--
David B.

They look comfortable, here's mine on my lap and looking at a crow on the chimney of the building opposite. She saw it through net curtains too.

https://youtu.be/iJZl9vmsLKE

Nice pussy cat! :-)

You may enjoy this item:
http://www.catster.com/lifestyle/cat...y-mean-talking

Diesel May 16th 17 11:32 AM

Where I keep my spare cats.

Eric Stevens

wrote:

Looking through my Dropbox folder, I decided to share this with
you!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyccg6cbsa...0where%20I%20k
eep%20my%20spare%20cats.jpg?dl=0

Have a fun day, guys! :-)

Here is another
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjseto2r2v...02208.jpg?dl=0

It looked OK when I linked it but now it looks oversharpened to
me.

I'd advise caution when interacting with David Brooks. He seems
harmless enough, but, that's his M.O. I had the misfortune of
interacting with him, some years back originally. When I refused to
do some rather nasty things, per his request to various forum
administrators, he had an issue with me. and, it's been ongoing ever
since.

I certainly don't expect you to take my word for it. Rather, I have
the entire email correspondence between him and myself, You're
welcome to read it if you'd like. It's a normal ASCII text file
inside the .zip. Consider yourself warned.

http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk/bdemail1.zip

Diesel May 16th 17 11:34 AM

Where I keep my spare cats.

Whisky-dave

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyccg6cbsa...20where%20I%20
keep%20my%20spare%20cats.jpg?dl=0

Have a fun day, guys! :-)

--
David B.

They look comfortable, here's mine on my lap and looking at a
crow on the chimney of the building opposite. She saw it through
net curtains too.

https://youtu.be/iJZl9vmsLKE

This was my red long hair persian. I had him since he was a kitten,
but, sadly, he passed away some years back.

http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk/bug.jpg

Eric Stevens May 16th 17 11:35 PM

Where I keep my spare cats.

wrote:

Looking through my Dropbox folder, I decided to share this with you!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyccg6cbsa...ats.j pg?dl=0

Have a fun day, guys! :-)

Here is another
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjseto2r2v...02208.jpg?dl=0

It looked OK when I linked it but now it looks oversharpened to me.

Has the cat on the right got a mouse? I wasn't too sure!

It's more likely to be a piece of wood. They are that sort of cat -
they will play with anything when the mood takes them.

Eric Stevens

PeterN[_6_] May 17th 17 12:19 AM

Where I keep my spare cats.

On 5/16/2017 3:23 AM, David B. wrote:
Looking through my Dropbox folder, I decided to share this with you!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyccg6cbsa...ats.j pg?dl=0

Have a fun day, guys! :-)

Here is our grand dog, in a preliminary round at Westminster. She made
the finals, and screwed up completely.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qi83igj6a45hasn/Westminster%20Agility%20Trial%20beg.jpg?dl=0

--
PeterN

PeterN[_6_] May 17th 17 12:24 AM

Where I keep my spare cats.

wrote:

[...]

1. Nobody with any sense will open an unknown zip file.
2. This has nothing to do with photography. IOW nobody gives a ****.
Life is to short. It's your problem deal with it.

--
PeterN

nospam May 17th 17 12:37 AM

Where I keep my spare cats.

In article , PeterN
wrote:

I certainly don't expect you to take my word for it. Rather, I have
the entire email correspondence between him and myself, You're
welcome to read it if you'd like. It's a normal ASCII text file
inside the .zip. Consider yourself warned.

http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk/bdemail1.zip

1. Nobody with any sense will open an unknown zip file.

only if they're stuck using an insecure operating system.

on other platforms, there is no problem in unzipping a zip file.

however, in this case, there is no point in zipping it. it's just a
text file, which could have been hosted on a server just as easily, and
the difference in size is negligible.

2. This has nothing to do with photography. IOW nobody gives a ****.
Life is to short. It's your problem deal with it.

if you say so.

Ron C May 17th 17 12:38 AM

Where I keep my spare cats.

On 5/16/2017 3:23 AM, David B. wrote:
Looking through my Dropbox folder, I decided to share this with you!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyccg6cbsa...ats.j pg?dl=0

Have a fun day, guys! :-)

Is it Caturday already?

Ok, I'll add some cats to the mix.

Here's Matt and Baxter hanging out in the window:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fc7ojapdwm...er%20%231a.jpg

and here's Baxter (same window different day)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8lkc6609ol...20%5B3a%5D.jpg

--
==
Later...

---
http://www.avg.com

Diesel May 17th 17 01:28 AM

Where I keep my spare cats.

nospam
Tue, 16 May 2017
23:37:04 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

In article , PeterN
wrote:

I certainly don't expect you to take my word for it. Rather, I
have the entire email correspondence between him and myself,
You're welcome to read it if you'd like. It's a normal ASCII
text file inside the .zip. Consider yourself warned.

http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk/bdemail1.zip

1. Nobody with any sense will open an unknown zip file.

only if they're stuck using an insecure operating system.

on other platforms, there is no problem in unzipping a zip file.

however, in this case, there is no point in zipping it. it's just
a text file, which could have been hosted on a server just as
easily, and the difference in size is negligible.

True enough, I just .zip out of an old habit. :)

2. This has nothing to do with photography. IOW nobody gives a
****. Life is to short. It's your problem deal with it.

if you say so.

You can lead a horse to water...

Diesel May 17th 17 01:28 AM

Where I keep my spare cats.

PeterN
Tue, 16 May 2017 23:24:44 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk/bdemail1.zip

1. Nobody with any sense will open an unknown zip file.

Opening a .zip file is a harmful act is it? I don't think you'll find
much to support that conclusion; aside from those who've used
vulnerable archiving tools, that is.

The trick is, not clicking on an exe/pdf, etc, that might be inside.
In this case, it's a straight txt file, with the appropriate
extension, so Windows won't be fooled into 'executing' it for you.
The .zip file itself is created with PKZIP v2.0.4g as well; it has no
'exploit' options to dupe whatever archiving tool you use.

And, one can always check the domain the .zip is hosted on, if
they're concerned about it's possible contents. Or the trust issue.

I'm an expert malware researcher, BugHunter is my program, and that's
BugHunters domain. It would take a second to remove the .zip from the
url and load the url without it and check that for yourself. Easy.

Further, I'm also a former employee of Malwarebytes Corporation;
employed as, an expert malware researcher. Perhaps you've heard of
it? So, you see, I'd have nothing to gain by planting malware of any
kind on your machine or anyone elses, but, a whole lot to lose by
doing so.

2. This has nothing to do with photography. IOW nobody gives a
****. Life is to short. It's your problem deal with it.

I was simply giving you and others a friendly heads up concerning
David Brooks. The final decision and consequences lie with you and
them, not me. If you think he's harmless, by all means continue to
think so. Ignorance is bliss, so I'm told.

PeterN[_6_] May 17th 17 01:48 AM

Where I keep my spare cats.

On 5/16/2017 8:28 PM, Diesel wrote:
[...]

Your comments are duly noted. I really don't give a ****, unless it is
about photography, or a realistic threat against any member of my
family. Things are what they are. If you don't like my attitude, you'll
just have to deal with it.
Beware Greeks bearing gifts. PAS, excepted.

--
PeterN

David B.[_2_] May 17th 17 07:32 AM

Where I keep my spare cats.

On 5/17/2017 12:19 AM, PeterN wrote:
On 5/16/2017 3:23 AM, David B. wrote:
Looking through my Dropbox folder, I decided to share this with you!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyccg6cbsa...ats.j pg?dl=0

Have a fun day, guys! :-)

Here is our grand dog, in a preliminary round at Westminster. She made
the finals, and screwed up completely.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qi83igj6a45hasn/Westminster%20Agility%20Trial%20beg.jpg?dl=0

Haha! Dogs CAN let one down for sure!

Best to let sleeping dogs lie? .... here's MY granddog:-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b55p0t1fio...mmock.jpg?dl=0

--
David B.

David B.[_2_] May 17th 17 07:36 AM

Where I keep my spare cats.

On 5/17/2017 12:38 AM, Ron C wrote:
On 5/16/2017 3:23 AM, David B. wrote:
Looking through my Dropbox folder, I decided to share this with you!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyccg6cbsa...ats.j pg?dl=0

Have a fun day, guys! :-)

Is it Caturday already?

Caturday. I like that! ;-)

Ok, I'll add some cats to the mix.

Here's Matt and Baxter hanging out in the window:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fc7ojapdwm...er%20%231a.jpg

and here's Baxter (same window different day)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8lkc6609ol...20%5B3a%5D.jpg

I like your artistry, Ron. :-)

--
David B.

Diesel May 17th 17 11:00 AM

Where I keep my spare cats.

PeterN
Wed, 17 May 2017 00:48:46 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

Your comments are duly noted. I really don't give a ****, unless
it is about photography, or a realistic threat against any member
of my family.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by a realistic threat. As for
myself, he attempted (several times) to determine my actual meatspace
and publish a google streetmap view of what he thought was my house.
He did this because I said no to his request to hack a couple of web
forums he was previously banned from. He wanted access to the user
records, and, I refused to do that for him. I was willing to assist him
with any malware he felt existed on the forums, but, I required a url
pointing to a sample for analysis. He was unable to provide any such
urls. I consider that to be a valid and 'realistic' threat towards my
family, but, you may feel differently.

Things are what they are. If you don't like my
attitude, you'll just have to deal with it.

I have no issue with your attitude.

PAS[_2_] May 17th 17 03:04 PM

Where I keep my spare cats.

On 5/17/2017 2:32 AM, David B. wrote:
On 5/17/2017 12:19 AM, PeterN wrote:
On 5/16/2017 3:23 AM, David B. wrote:
Looking through my Dropbox folder, I decided to share this with you!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyccg6cbsa...ats.j pg?dl=0

Have a fun day, guys! :-)

Here is our grand dog, in a preliminary round at Westminster. She
made the finals, and screwed up completely.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qi83igj6a45hasn/Westminster%20Agility%20Trial%20beg.jpg?dl=0

Haha! Dogs CAN let one down for sure!

Best to let sleeping dogs lie? .... here's MY granddog:-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b55p0t1fio...mmock.jpg?dl=0

Yes, let them lie. Here's one of mine:
http://www.pete-the-greek.com/Pets/Bella/i-qDB5NWM/A

PeterN[_6_] May 17th 17 04:31 PM

Where I keep my spare cats.

On 5/17/2017 2:32 AM, David B. wrote:
On 5/17/2017 12:19 AM, PeterN wrote:
On 5/16/2017 3:23 AM, David B. wrote:
Looking through my Dropbox folder, I decided to share this with you!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyccg6cbsa...ats.j pg?dl=0

Have a fun day, guys! :-)

Here is our grand dog, in a preliminary round at Westminster. She made
the finals, and screwed up completely.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qi83igj6a45hasn/Westminster%20Agility%20Trial%20beg.jpg?dl=0

Haha! Dogs CAN let one down for sure!

She's an advertising dog, and trained to sit and wait for instructions
when she sees a camera. She saw the TV camera at Westminster, and
........ She just didn't relate her agility run to the camera.

Best to let sleeping dogs lie? .... here's MY granddog:-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b55p0t1fio...mmock.jpg?dl=0

Knows what's important.

--
PeterN

Diesel May 18th 17 12:40 PM

Where I keep my spare cats.

Whisky-dave
Wed, 17
May 2017 09:52:18 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

aside from those who've used
vulnerable archiving tools, that is.

Itl;s NOT the archiving tool that's the problem.

Well, actually, it can be, if the tool is vulnerable. Unless we're
talking about clicking on an executable you find inside the zip, or,
any other file that can support executable code/script/macro in one
way shape or form. A pdf, a .doc, xls file, etc.

The trick is, not clicking on an exe/pdf, etc, that might be
inside.

Why would you zip a PDF ?

I .zip all kinds of things. .Rar stuff too.

In this case, it's a straight txt file, with the appropriate
extension, so Windows won't be fooled into 'executing' it for
you.

It takes more than a few words from somneone I don't know to
convince me of that.

You do know you can view the filename contents of the .zip file with
your archiving tool, without unzipping it, right? Your archiving
tool may even include it's own internal viewer, which would have no
trouble opening a plain ascii text file; which is what's inside the
..zip file.

You seem concerned about the .zip file, but let me ask you
something. Do you click on the links that point to pictures being
shared here often? Did you know a properly malformed .jpg file if
viewed a vulnerable viewer (or browser) can cause malicious
executable code to run on your machine simply by you 'viewing' the
picture? Do you click on the dropbox links? Do you blindly trust the
scripts it loads just to show you a picture? They do more than that,
but for the sake of my question, do you just trust them and click?

The .zip file itself is created with PKZIP v2.0.4g as well; it
has no 'exploit' options to dupe whatever archiving tool you use.

I'd have no idea who or what was used to create the zip.

That's alright. That's what file header data is for. As this
particular .zip file was created with the original software, it does
contain identification data inside the header. PKWARE (Creator of
PKZIP) is, btw, the originator of the .zip file format. The original
owner of the company and PKZIP/PKUNZIP, etcs, author has since
passed away. PK stands for Phil Katz, the originator of the .zip
file format.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PKZIP
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZIP_%28file_format%29
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Katz
https://community.spiceworks.com/top...ndard-was-born

And, one can always check the domain the .zip is hosted on, if
they're concerned about it's possible contents. Or the trust
issue.

It's the first step to take yes.

With you so far.

but if it were
http://bug-hunter.it-mate.com/bdemail1.zip

Did I post any such url? Nope.

You'll have to scroll down a little bit, but, they'll back me on the
domain I provided you:

http://www.completelyfreesoftware.com/du1_w31.html

And you can read the review they wrote for the program, if you'd
like. In the event the five doves isn't a big enough clue. :) The
program and the domain it's on is legitimate, as am I. The .zip file
is being hosted on my programs domain, and, I wouldn't risk the
domain OR tarnishing my reputation by hosting ANYTHING malicious on
it.

would this site be as trusted ?

There's no https which is what I'd look for .

Why would I bother with HTTPS for a site that has no interaction
with the user, and, isn't free to implement? What possible advantage
would it give me? And, by interaction, there's nothing for you to
login to, no place to leave a comment, nothing. It's very simple and
straight forward, old school html, without a single script. A 486
could render it with ease, on Windows 3.x using netscape. I have
nothing that requires a secure, encrypted session with you on that
site...

For more on the https or not to https, see he

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/11/0...site-Use-HTTPS

Unless you don't trust that site, either.

I'm an expert malware researcher, BugHunter is my program, and
that's BugHunters domain. It would take a second to remove the
.zip from the url and load the url without it and check that for
yourself. Easy.

why would I bother ?

Don't know. You seem concerned with the .zip file doing you harm.

Further, I'm also a former employee of Malwarebytes Corporation;
employed as, an expert malware researcher. Perhaps you've heard
of it?

No.

You've never heard of Malwarebytes Antimalware? Have you been living
under a rock, or, are you not a Windows user?

So, you see, I'd have nothing to gain by planting malware of any
kind on your machine or anyone elses, but, a whole lot to lose by
doing so.

it's your word and I don't know who you are.

I told you who I am. As well as what's on the site I previously
provided a link to. The .zip file contains a single, ASCII TEXT
file. Do you think by opening the unzipped file in NOTEPAD, Any harm
would come to your system?

using PKUNZIP -vn bdemail1.zip:

PKUNZIP (R) FAST! Extract Utility Version 2.50 03-01-1999
Copr. 1989-1999 PKWARE Inc. All Rights Reserved. Shareware Version
PKUNZIP Reg. U.S. Pat. and Tm. Off.

þ Pentium II class CPU detected.
þ XMS version 2.00 detected.
þ DPMI version 0.90 detected.

Searching ZIP: BDEMAIL1.ZIP

Length Method Size Ratio Date Time CRC-32 Attr Name
------ ------ ----- ----- ---- ---- -------- ---- ----
507425 DeflatX 191803 63% 03-14-2017 10:19 8e305db1 --wa DAVID.TXT
------ ------ --- -------
507425 191803 63% 1

DAVID.TXT is a complete, unedited, copy of ALL the email
correspondence between him and myself, in the order it was
sent/received. As I told you. It's zipped because, well, it doesn't
make sense to send a half meg file to everyone who wants a copy,
when I could send a smaller file instead. Why waste bandwidth and
resources of my domains provider?

And, Some of Davids replies contain HTML code because he insisted
upon sending plain text AND html of the same; and I made no edits of
ANY kind. My email client, Pegasus ignores html and shows me
plaintext only, but the 'raw' contents are still there. A modern
browser probably wouldn't try to render any of it, if I provided the
file raw on the site, instead of being .zipped instead, but, why
chance it? Notepad certainly won't render any html.

I was simply giving you and others a friendly heads up concerning
David Brooks.

I have no more reason to belive he is a nasty person than you are.

I *was* a nasty person, at one point. Many years ago. I've since
'changed my evil ways' and used my skills for productive things,
that of a malware researcher instead of developer. Not that I only
developed malware, mind you, I did write other stuff too:

http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk/core/

If you have something to say say it don;t hid it behind a zip.

Alright then. David Brooks is a stalker (amongst other things) and
contacted me via email under false pretenses, asking about my
program, but, attempting to groom me to do some shady hacking for
his sole benefit, against two! web forums he was previously banned
from. The .zip is the complete and unedited email correspondence, in
order, between David Brooks and myself, proving that what I've
written above is true! Copied directly from my Pegasus email client,
no less.

How about proving what you say is correct rather than just offer a
zip file without saying what's in it.

I told you what's inside of it. A plain ASCII TEXT FILE. You can
open it in notepad. Notepad isn't going to run any macros, or other
'code' of any kind. IE: I can't very well slip you a mickey if you
use notepad.

Is this what malware security 'experts do' tell people that if
you don't want malware download this zip to find out how not to
get a virus....

Your logic needs some work...If any actual malware expert, such as
myself, provided you a .zip file containing detailed instructions
(and likely additional files to remove the malware from your machine
for you), there'd be a logical reason for doing so. (as outlined
above).

David B.[_2_] May 18th 17 04:48 PM

Where I keep my spare cats.

On 5/18/2017 3:04 PM, Whisky-dave wrote:

Could be a double bluff. I've no more reason to trust what you say than certain others I don't feel I know very well.

I'd like to refer you to THIS post, Dave:-

HTH :-)

--
David B.

David B.[_2_] May 18th 17 04:58 PM

Where I keep my spare cats.

On 5/17/2017 3:04 PM, PAS wrote:
On 5/17/2017 2:32 AM, David B. wrote:
On 5/17/2017 12:19 AM, PeterN wrote:
On 5/16/2017 3:23 AM, David B. wrote:
Looking through my Dropbox folder, I decided to share this with you!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyccg6cbsa...ats.j pg?dl=0

Have a fun day, guys! :-)

Here is our grand dog, in a preliminary round at Westminster. She
made the finals, and screwed up completely.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qi83igj6a45hasn/Westminster%20Agility%20Trial%20beg.jpg?dl=0

Haha! Dogs CAN let one down for sure!

Best to let sleeping dogs lie? .... here's MY granddog:-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b55p0t1fio...mmock.jpg?dl=0

Yes, let them lie. Here's one of mine:
http://www.pete-the-greek.com/Pets/Bella/i-qDB5NWM/A

Nice dog! One of these? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shar_Pei

We don't see many of those here in the UK, but the ones which I HAVE met
seemed to have a disposition much like a Labrador.

--
David B.

PAS[_2_] May 18th 17 05:01 PM

Where I keep my spare cats.

On 5/18/2017 11:58 AM, David B. wrote:
On 5/17/2017 3:04 PM, PAS wrote:
[...]

Yes, Bella is a Chinese Shar Pei. Generally, the breed is
"stand-offish" with strangers but they are not mean or vicious dogs at
all. We have two and they are friendly with strangers.

David B.[_2_] May 18th 17 05:04 PM

Where I keep my spare cats.

I've had a quick browse here http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/

A bit like 'Crufts' over here! http://www.crufts.org.uk/

Best to let sleeping dogs lie? .... here's MY granddog:-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b55p0t1fio...mmock.jpg?dl=0

Knows what's important.

Indeed! :-)

--
David B.

PeterN[_6_] May 18th 17 05:51 PM

Where I keep my spare cats.

On 5/17/2017 3:04 PM, PAS wrote:
[...]

You can have sweet dogs and nasty ones of any breed. A lot depends on
their training and socialization. Having said that, some breeds such as
Akitas, can be very protective. My younger daughter was walking her
neighbor's Akita, and went for a coffee in an outside cafe. Some guy
started to bother her. the Akita sensed a problem, stood up and just
stared at a point in the sidewalk. The dog made it clear that his eyes
were focused on a line, and that he would protect if anyone crossed the
line. Even the drunk realized it. a few minutes later someone called the
cops, and they quickly took the drunk away. when the cop came over to my
daughter to ask if she was OK, the Akita just sat down and went into
friendly mode.

--
PeterN

Diesel May 19th 17 01:06 AM

Where I keep my spare cats.

Whisky-dave
Thu, 18
May 2017 14:04:48 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

Well, actually, it can be,

but isn't

http://www.cvedetails.com/vendor/787/Winzip.html

:)

[snip for brevity]

I don't download vunerable viewers.

How would you know if it was when you downloaded it? The vulnerability
reports tend to come after the fact.

And, you do use a browser, right? :)

Do you click on the dropbox links?

If they lok valid and I'm on a Mac computer yes.

You think the Mac is immune?

Do you blindly trust the
scripts it loads just to show you a picture? They do more than
that, but for the sake of my question, do you just trust them and
click?

If the link is from dropbox and the URL looks OK and IO donlt
think there;s any reason to distust the poster of that link then
yes.

The poster of the link isn't the one who creates the scripts dropbox
uses, so what does trusting the poster have to do with my question?

That's alright. That's what file header data is for. As this
particular .zip file was created with the original software,

that doesn;t make it safe anyone can zip a virus.

True. However, the virus isn't magically going to 'get you' just by
unzipping the file containing it. Another step is required for that to
happen. First, you'd have to unzip the .zip file, second, you'd have to
be stupid enough to double click the unknown file that came out of the
..zip file, rather than load it into something that won't execute code,
but show you the raw contents instead. A hex editor, or, a text and
only text based viewer/editor.

Do I care, Nope.

:) I got that impression awhile ago.

Why would I bother with HTTPS for a site that has no interaction
with the user, and, isn't free to implement? What possible
advantage would it give me?

It indicates it;s secure so peole like me are more willing to
trust it.

ROFL! It indicates NOTHING of the sort.

http://www.helpwithpcs.com/jargon/http.htm
What is HTTPS?
HTTPS is a secure adaptation of HTTP which you will find in common use
on secure areas when visiting websites.

Note: You should always ensure you are using a HTTPS connection when
providing sensitive information to a website.

As I told you, previously, there are no secure areas on the bughunter
site. It doesn't host a forum, it offers you, the visitor, NO
INTERACTION. No scripts, no pictures (Unless you want to click the link
pointing to the jpeg of my deceased red long hair persian)

It's a plain jane html site with some direct links via urls that you
can click on if you want. Nothing more, nothing less.

And, by interaction, there's nothing for you to
login to, no place to leave a comment, nothing. It's very simple
and straight forward, old school html, without a single script. A
486 could render it with ease, on Windows 3.x using netscape.

The sort of thing that the recent mal/rasmonware have infected so
an excellent reason for not going there.

You don't make any sense. There's absolutely no interactive aspect to
the site. There's nothing it's going to 'run' inside your browser. And
nothing for the 'malware' to exploit, either. No forum code, no
vulnerable javascript, java, ajax, etc. Nothing. If you'd like to
discuss the finer points of Malware sometime, I'll be happy to teach
you all about it. You could probably use the knowledge.

As presently, you're spreading FUD. You're probably okay with that,
but, it is annoying for those of us who know better. Ignorance such as
that which you display contributes to the malware problem. As long as
people such as yourself remain, grossly ignorant concerning it, Malware
is *never* going to go away.

The recent attack on the UK hospitals, etc, is a perfect example of
that. Gross ignorance by the office employees as well as the IT staff.
The SMB ports should *never* have been improperly firewalled; which is
what allowed it to spread around, once the first idiot! clicked the
phishing link and allowed malicious code (again, the IT staff is just
as guilty for improper system policy setup) to run on his/her machine.

I won't even begin to discuss the sheer stupidity in lack of
maintaining useful patient record backups!

It didn't magically get loaded on any of those networks. Gross
ignorance allowed it, from the office worker to the IT personal.

I have
nothing that requires a secure, encrypted session with you on
that site...

For more on the https or not to https, see he

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/11/0...-Doesnt-Every-
Website

-Use-HTTPS

then why do they use https ?
Surely it's just a link to a text explanation.

It's a forum, a discussion forum. That has user accounts. You can login
to it, so it has interactive data that should be protected from prying
eyes. Which is what HTTPS is for. As my site has no such options,
there's no point in using HTTPS for it.

Unless you don't trust that site, either.

Well it does have https so why shouldn't I ?

But, you didn't check it out. :) And, just because a site is using
HTTPS does NOT mean the site is 'safe' or otherwise 'secure' and won't
slip you a mickey. That's just not how things work.

Don't know. You seem concerned with the .zip file doing you harm.

They are pretty much the easist way to get infected .

Not hardly. Compromised websites, including HTTPS enabled ones are one
of the easiest vectors for acquiring unwanted software on your machine.
That's done by usage of scripts that your browser will happily execute,
without your knowledge, or consent, most of the time. Unless you have
various script blockers enabled, and, don't use browsers with known
vulnerabilities hindering the script blocking programs.

You've never heard of Malwarebytes Antimalware? Have you been
living under a rock, or, are you not a Windows user?

correct I'mm not a windows users our IT people on PCS use macfee
or soemthing they decide on and pay for.

mcrappy? :) That's never been a top notch AV program. John Mcafee sold
the pile of **** for a lot of money, years ago. He's a smart man like
that.

So, you see, I'd have nothing to gain by planting malware of
any kind on your machine or anyone elses, but, a whole lot to
lose by doing so.

it's your word and I don't know who you are.

I told you who I am.

Some knew who jimmy savelle was some didn't some thought they
knew.

Fair enough, but, I'm always under peer review and scrutiny. So, I
stand by what I wrote.

As well as what's on the site I previously
provided a link to. The .zip file contains a single, ASCII TEXT
file. Do you think by opening the unzipped file in NOTEPAD, Any
harm would come to your system?

No idea don't care, but what am I likely to gain by doing this...
free money, free sex, free beer ?

The answer to my question is a resounding No. Notepad is unable to
execute code of any kind. That's not what it's for. What you would gain
is evidence concerning David Brooks shady aspects. Nothing else.

ÅŸ Pentium II class CPU detected.

Didnlt the pentium II come out just after the romans built
hadrains wall,
but I'm not that good with history TBH.

You aren't so hot with IT either. :) PKZIP 2.0.4g doesn't know what
cpus are past the pentium II. As later processors are for the most
part, backwards compatible, it's check routine sees any later chip as a
pentium II. This one is actually a dual P3/800mhz system running in SMP
mode. It has two processors, mated. It's a dinosaur, by standards of
the day, but, still a workhorse for the things in which I use it for. I
have much faster, more capable machines on this network, but, they
serve other purposes.

DAVID.TXT is a complete, unedited, copy of ALL the email
correspondence between him and myself, in the order it was
sent/received.

So you're attempting to bore me to death, well that's a new sort
of virus.

As I told you. It's zipped because, well, it doesn't
make sense to send a half meg file to everyone who wants a copy,

1/2 meg is **** all.

Sorry, I was raised in the time period that you didn't waste resources
just because you could. My first computers didn't have much ram, or
hard drives, etc. Back then, the computer didn't have much to play
with, so you wrote tight efficient code, and, you didn't waste
resources as you did so.

when I could send a smaller file instead. Why waste bandwidth
and resources of my domains provider?

because you're paying them ?

Nope. It was freely provided to me, years ago. I have full control over
it, too. But, that doesn't mean I should waste resources and bandwidth,
just because I can.

I *was* a nasty person, at one point. Many years ago. I've since
'changed my evil ways'

don't we all ?

No. Some still tend to do the same stupid things, over and over again.
Incapable of learning from their previous mistakes.

and used my skills for productive things,
that of a malware researcher instead of developer. Not that I
only developed malware, mind you, I did write other stuff too:

You develope malware ?

I have in the past, yes.

Alright then. David Brooks is a stalker (amongst other things)
and contacted me via email under false pretenses, asking about my
program, but, attempting to groom me to do some shady hacking for
his sole benefit, against two! web forums he was previously
banned from. The .zip is the complete and unedited email
correspondence, in order, between David Brooks and myself,
proving that what I've written above is true! Copied directly
from my Pegasus email client, no less.

well thanks for the warning but I'll treat him the same way I do
others that I donlt know, I won't download his zips either.

Fair enough. :)

A plain ASCII TEXT FILE. You can
open it in notepad. Notepad isn't going to run any macros, or
other 'code' of any kind. IE: I can't very well slip you a mickey
if you use notepad.

Mickey finn drummer from T.rex ;-)

Hah! :)

Your logic needs some work...If any actual malware expert, such
as myself, provided you a .zip file containing detailed
instructions (and likely additional files to remove the malware
from your machine for you), there'd be a logical reason for doing
so. (as outlined above).

Could be a double bluff. I've no more reason to trust what you
say than certain others I don't feel I know very well.

Sure, and hell could freeze over tonight. North Korea could send an
ICMP with a viable nuclear warhead by tomorrow afternoon. Is either
likely? No.

Diesel May 19th 17 01:06 AM

Where I keep my spare cats.

PeterN
Thu, 18 May 2017 16:51:26 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

You can have sweet dogs and nasty ones of any breed. A lot depends
on their training and socialization. Having said that, some breeds
such as Akitas, can be very protective. My younger daughter was
walking her neighbor's Akita, and went for a coffee in an outside
cafe. Some guy started to bother her. the Akita sensed a problem,
stood up and just stared at a point in the sidewalk. The dog made
it clear that his eyes were focused on a line, and that he would
protect if anyone crossed the line. Even the drunk realized it. a
few minutes later someone called the cops, and they quickly took
the drunk away. when the cop came over to my daughter to ask if
she was OK, the Akita just sat down and went into friendly mode.

You seem very knowledgeable concerning Dogs and their mindsets. I
appreciate you having taken the time to post this.

PeterN[_6_] May 19th 17 01:58 AM

Where I keep my spare cats.

On 5/18/2017 8:06 PM, Diesel wrote:
[...]

both of my kids and quite a few of my friends are serious dog owners. My
older daughter spends every weekend taking her golden to various dog
events, such as hunting, agility, tracking and retrieving competitions.
the dog is a master senior hunter and as I posted earlier, qualified at
Westminster for the finals in agility. The dog goes to a doggie
chiropractor, and gets regular warm water massages. My other daughter,
for some reason, has a natural attraction for animals. On more than one
occasion, while swimming, wild dolphins would swim in and pay with her.
In order to keep up with them, I have had to learn something about
animals, Just as they had to learn something about art and music, in
order to keep up with me and my wife.

--
PeterN

David B.[_2_] May 19th 17 01:34 PM

Where I keep my spare cats.

On 5/17/2017 3:04 PM, PAS wrote:
[...]

That is true - but I have NEVER encountered a 'nasty' Labrador!

Having said that, some breeds such as
Akitas, can be very protective. My younger daughter was walking her
neighbor's Akita, and went for a coffee in an outside cafe. Some guy
started to bother her. the Akita sensed a problem, stood up and just
stared at a point in the sidewalk. The dog made it clear that his eyes
were focused on a line, and that he would protect if anyone crossed the
line. Even the drunk realized it. a few minutes later someone called the
cops, and they quickly took the drunk away. when the cop came over to my
daughter to ask if she was OK, the Akita just sat down and went into
friendly mode.

Thanks for sharing the tale! :-)

--
David B.

Savageduck[_3_] May 19th 17 03:45 PM

Where I keep my spare cats.

On 5/17/2017 3:04 PM, PAS wrote:
[...]

That is a canine truth that is evidenced by this shot of some strange
young guy and his Labs 35+ years ago.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ywsewwwkdln5dmj/LCO%2BLabs.jpg

Savageduck

Bill W May 19th 17 04:44 PM

Where I keep my spare cats.

On Fri, 19 May 2017 03:08:54 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
wrote:

someone calling themselves
emailed mt this morining with a zip attachment called 5566046.zip
do you think I should open that zip if so why ?

You have to open it to know what's in it...

David B.[_2_] May 19th 17 04:55 PM

Where I keep my spare cats.

On 5/17/2017 3:04 PM, PAS wrote:
[...]

*Great photograph*! :-)

MY Labrador, named Leo (actually a 1/4 cross with a Golden Retriever) we
homed when he was just 12 months old. He'd 'been to court' with his
mother - they'd both been caught chasing sheep together on Exmoor. The
judge decreed that the dogs were either to be destroyed ....... or split
up. The owner simply HAD to part with the 'pup'; my wife and I were the
fortunate beneficiaries!

Leo lived to be nearly seventeen. He was fit and well, almost to the
end. As he became more frail, though, I did arrange with our vet that
he'd come to our house and put Leo to sleep as and when we felt it was
appropriate.

As it turned out, Leo was put to sleep the very morning after my son
collapsed and died - Leo was too weak and poorly to be left with someone
else whilst we went up-country to deal with Nick's funeral arrangements.

As a parent and dog lover, you will understand the 'double whammy'. :-(

--
David B.

David B.[_2_] May 19th 17 05:05 PM

Where I keep my spare cats.

On 5/19/2017 4:41 PM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 19 May 2017 13:34:36 UTC+1, David B. wrote:

That is true - but I have NEVER encountered a 'nasty' Labrador!

well there's always a first time, but I tend to think it's usually how a human has treated them in the past but you can never be sure.
Some nasty pictures here.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-Harbour.html

It's the exception which proves the rule, eh?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Except...roves_the_rule

--
David B.

PAS[_2_] May 19th 17 06:13 PM

Where I keep my spare cats.

On 2017-05-19 12:34:32 +0000, "David B."

On 5/17/2017 3:04 PM, PAS wrote:
[...]

My wife and I have been, thankfully, spared the loss of a child. But we
have lost some dogs over the years. My wife was not always the dog
lover I am. We got our first dog when our youngest of two sons was an
infant so she had her priorities and it wasn't a new dog, that was
mine. Fast forward about 26 years and we got a dog after going about
five years without one. My wife named her Maya and she was an awesome
dog. She was a bear-coat Shar Pei which you don't see often

As a puppy: http://www.pete-the-greek.com/Pets/Maya/i-WNFH8Rd/A

Full-grown: http://www.pete-the-greek.com/Pets/Maya/i-fp8xSGf/A

Maya died two years ago at the age of 5 1/2. To say my wife was
devastated is an understatement. She was attached to that dog in a way
I had never seen. There are days where I still find her crying over Maya.

David B.[_2_] May 19th 17 06:29 PM

Where I keep my spare cats.

On 5/19/2017 6:13 PM, PAS wrote:
[....]
My wife and I have been, thankfully, spared the loss of a child. But we
have lost some dogs over the years. My wife was not always the dog
lover I am. We got our first dog when our youngest of two sons was an
infant so she had her priorities and it wasn't a new dog, that was
mine. Fast forward about 26 years and we got a dog after going about
five years without one. My wife named her Maya and she was an awesome
dog. She was a bear-coat Shar Pei which you don't see often

As a puppy: http://www.pete-the-greek.com/Pets/Maya/i-WNFH8Rd/A

Full-grown: http://www.pete-the-greek.com/Pets/Maya/i-fp8xSGf/A

Wow! :-) I've never seen such a dog! Thanks for sharing the photographs.

Maya died two years ago at the age of 5 1/2. To say my wife was
devastated is an understatement. She was attached to that dog in a way
I had never seen. There are days where I still find her crying over Maya.

I'm saddened to learn of your loss. I, too, have cried over the loss of
my pets over the years. They do, as you know, become a part of you.

--
David B.

Savageduck[_3_] May 19th 17 07:08 PM

Where I keep my spare cats.

On 2017-05-19 17:29:08 +0000, "David B." said:

On 5/19/2017 6:13 PM, PAS wrote:
[....]
My wife and I have been, thankfully, spared the loss of a child. But we
have lost some dogs over the years. My wife was not always the dog
lover I am. We got our first dog when our youngest of two sons was an
infant so she had her priorities and it wasn't a new dog, that was
mine. Fast forward about 26 years and we got a dog after going about
five years without one. My wife named her Maya and she was an awesome
dog. She was a bear-coat Shar Pei which you don't see often

As a puppy: http://www.pete-the-greek.com/Pets/Maya/i-WNFH8Rd/A

Full-grown: http://www.pete-the-greek.com/Pets/Maya/i-fp8xSGf/A

Wow! :-) I've never seen such a dog! Thanks for sharing the photographs.

Yup! My "Step-daughter from Hell" had a Shar Pei, and I had a better
relationship with the dog than with her.

This is another scan, shot with a K1000, some 25 years ago. You might
say that my hair is somewhat fairer, and beard more obvious these days.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1dcu4i7ru2sxe8u/LCO%2BHc.jpg

PAS[_2_] May 19th 17 07:19 PM

Where I keep my spare cats.

On 5/19/2017 1:29 PM, David B. wrote:
On 5/19/2017 6:13 PM, PAS wrote:
[....]
[...]

They certainly do become part of us. We have two now, Bella and Bubba.
Bubba is from the same litter as Maya was. Bella is six months younger
from the same father but different mother. We haven't had Bubba since
he was a pup, we only had Maya at the time. Bella came six months
later. A family on Long Island not far from us bought Bubba. Three
years ago they decided they had to give him up. The couple who bought
him had a baby at the time and three years later had another one. Her
mother was going to care for the two children while the mother went back
to work but she was allergic to dogs so they gave him up. When you buy
a dog from the breeder we got them from, you agree that if you decide to
give up the dog for any reason then you must give the breeder first
opportunity to take the dog. The breeder is in North Carolina, quite a
distance from Long Island. The couple was being difficult and they were
adamant that they would give the breeder one week to come and get the
dog or else they would send him to a shelter. She was upset about this
because she couldn't get to Long Island within a week - she has a family
and a job and what-not to attend to. She asked us if we would take
Bubba until a suitable place was found for him. We agreed immediately
and after having him for a day, we decided we would keep him. He's a
timid dog but a good boy. I wonder what causes him to be so timid
because he avoids being pet most of the time, as if he is afraid. I
wonder how he was treated by his other family.

PAS[_2_] May 19th 17 07:21 PM

Where I keep my spare cats.

On 2017-05-19 17:29:08 +0000, "David B." said:

On 5/19/2017 6:13 PM, PAS wrote:
[....]
[...]

That's a decent looking dog in that photo, the Shar Pei is nice too :)

Thanks for the peek into your life, nice to put a face to a post and to
get a look at that dog.

PAS[_2_] May 19th 17 07:28 PM

Where I keep my spare cats.

On 5/19/2017 1:29 PM, David B. wrote:
On 5/19/2017 6:13 PM, PAS wrote:
[....]
My wife and I have been, thankfully, spared the loss of a child. But
we have lost some dogs over the years. My wife was not always the
dog lover I am. We got our first dog when our youngest of two sons
was an infant so she had her priorities and it wasn't a new dog, that
was mine. Fast forward about 26 years and we got a dog after going
about five years without one. My wife named her Maya and she was an
awesome dog. She was a bear-coat Shar Pei which you don't see often

As a puppy: http://www.pete-the-greek.com/Pets/Maya/i-WNFH8Rd/A

Full-grown: http://www.pete-the-greek.com/Pets/Maya/i-fp8xSGf/A

Wow! :-) I've never seen such a dog! Thanks for sharing the photographs.

In the late 1970s, the Shar Pei was one of the rarest breeds. You had
to have a lot of money to afford one! After Mao took power in China, he
declared that ownership of dogs was not allowed and the breed dwindle to
the point it was almost extinct. A businessman names Matgo Law smuggled
about 200 Shar Peis from China to Hong Kong and then he appealed to
American breeders to help him in breeding them to avoid extinction. The
Shar Peis in the USA come mostly from those 200. Look-up "bone mouth
Shar Pei" to get a look at what they originally looked like versus the
"meat mouth Shar Pei" that is popular in the West.

David B.[_2_] May 19th 17 08:22 PM

Where I keep my spare cats.

On 5/19/2017 7:28 PM, PAS wrote:
On 5/19/2017 1:29 PM, David B. wrote:
On 5/19/2017 6:13 PM, PAS wrote:
[....]
[...]

Thank you! :-) I learn a lot here on Usenet!

I've just watched he- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzQcdFNpxug

--
David B.