PhotoBanter.com

-   Digital Point & Shoot Cameras (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Ixus i - grainy shots in poorly lit conditions (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=28651)

Topbanana November 21st 04 06:21 PM

Ixus i - grainy shots in poorly lit conditions

I bought one of these recently and have been trying it out all over
the place - I've noticed however that in indoor dark and open rooms
(museum galleries for instance), the resulting pics in 'auto' mode
become very grainy in the darker areas of the pictures - even at the
highest resolution with lowest compression. Indeed, in large (say
100~200 square metres) fairly reasonably lit rooms with high ceilings
the camera decides to use the automatic flash and pictures come out
extremely dark.

I'm no expert in the world of digital photography, so should this be
expected or should I perhaps be tweaking some of the settings manually
to overcome this?

Robert Klemme November 22nd 04 07:48 PM

"Topbanana" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
om...
I bought one of these recently and have been trying it out all over
the place - I've noticed however that in indoor dark and open rooms
(museum galleries for instance), the resulting pics in 'auto' mode
become very grainy in the darker areas of the pictures - even at the
highest resolution with lowest compression. Indeed, in large (say
100~200 square metres) fairly reasonably lit rooms with high ceilings
the camera decides to use the automatic flash and pictures come out
extremely dark.

I'm no expert in the world of digital photography, so should this be
expected or should I perhaps be tweaking some of the settings manually
to overcome this?

I'd say it's expected. All compact cams have quite a small sensor that gets
noisy above of ISO 100 or 200. You can try to compensate with image
manipulation software (Helikon Filter for example) but of course the result
will never be as good as that of a full size sensor cam.

Kind regards

robert