PhotoBanter.com

-   -   A camera with a sensor bigger than 8 by 10 inches??!! (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=131415)

Neil[_9_] April 18th 18 01:22 PM

A camera with a sensor bigger than 8 by 10 inches??!!

On 4/17/2018 10:27 PM, RichA wrote:
I've heard of large sensor groups used for wide field scientific work, but this take the cake. I don't know what exactly this sensor might be like. Truly mind-bending if it's real.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/984647...ra-for-106-000

If that 12 megapixel is the actual resolution and isn't a typo, I'd much
rather carry my Olympus TG-4.

--
best regards,

Neil

nospam April 18th 18 01:37 PM

A camera with a sensor bigger than 8 by 10 inches??!!

In article , Neil
wrote:

I've heard of large sensor groups used for wide field scientific work, but
this take the cake. I don't know what exactly this sensor might be like.
Truly mind-bending if it's real.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/984647...-s-first-singl
e-shot-8-10-digital-camera-for-106-000

If that 12 megapixel is the actual resolution and isn't a typo, I'd much
rather carry my Olympus TG-4.

while it may be easier to carry, it has much smaller pixels, therefore
much higher noise.

android April 18th 18 06:08 PM

On 2018-04-18 12:33:44 +0000, Whisky-dave said:

On Wednesday, 18 April 2018 13:22:29 UTC+1, Neil wrote:
On 4/17/2018 10:27 PM, RichA wrote:
I've heard of large sensor groups used for wide field scientific work,
but this take the cake. I don't know what exactly this sensor might be
like. Truly mind-bending if it's real.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/984647...ra-for-106-000

If that 12 megapixel is the actual resolution and isn't a typo, I'd much
rather carry my Olympus TG-4.

--
best regards,

Neil

I wonder if you can get a selfie stick for it.

Sure. Here's a prototype waitng for the camera to be mounted:

https://media.aws.iaaf.org/media/Lar...ef6bda97df.jpg

--
teleportation kills

android April 18th 18 06:09 PM

On 2018-04-18 12:37:02 +0000, nospam said:

In article , Neil
wrote:

I've heard of large sensor groups used for wide field scientific work, but
this take the cake. I don't know what exactly this sensor might be like.
Truly mind-bending if it's real.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/984647...-s-first-singl
e-shot-8-10-digital-camera-for-106-000

If that 12 megapixel is the actual resolution and isn't a typo, I'd much
rather carry my Olympus TG-4.

while it may be easier to carry, it has much smaller pixels, therefore
much higher noise.

I would like to se the DxOmark scores for that sensor...
--
teleportation kills

nospam April 18th 18 06:11 PM

A camera with a sensor bigger than 8 by 10 inches??!!

In article , android
wrote:

I would like to se the DxOmark scores for that sensor...

the scores will depend how much dxomark is paid, if they are at all.

android April 18th 18 06:16 PM

On 2018-04-18 17:11:32 +0000, nospam said:

In article , android
wrote:

I would like to se the DxOmark scores for that sensor...

the scores will depend how much dxomark is paid, if they are at all.

Nahh... I should have said graphs 'cause I don't care for "scores" of
any kind either. Anyways, they are merely recycling the data that they
harvest for their software.
--
teleportation kills

Neil[_9_] April 18th 18 08:08 PM

A camera with a sensor bigger than 8 by 10 inches??!!

On 4/18/2018 8:37 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Neil
wrote:

I've heard of large sensor groups used for wide field scientific work, but
this take the cake. I don't know what exactly this sensor might be like.
Truly mind-bending if it's real.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/984647...-s-first-singl
e-shot-8-10-digital-camera-for-106-000

If that 12 megapixel is the actual resolution and isn't a typo, I'd much
rather carry my Olympus TG-4.

while it may be easier to carry, it has much smaller pixels, therefore
much higher noise.

"Much" higher noise? I seriously doubt it. S/N has more parameters than
just pixel size.

--
best regards,

Neil

nospam April 18th 18 09:02 PM

wrote:

If that 12 megapixel is the actual resolution and isn't a typo, I'd much
rather carry my Olympus TG-4.

while it may be easier to carry, it has much smaller pixels, therefore
much higher noise.

"Much" higher noise?

yes.

I seriously doubt it.

then you don't understand physics.

S/N has more parameters than
just pixel size.

so what?

the dominant factor for noise is pixel size. larger pixels collect more
light. basic physics.

the 12mp 8x10 camera has 75 micron pixels. those are *huge*. its base
iso is 2100, versus a base iso of 100-200 on a typical slr.

https://www.dpreview.com/files/p/art...eSense-Sensor-
Size-Comparison-x800.jpeg

size matters. full frame sensors have about a stop less noise than crop
sensors, which have about a stop less noise than micro 4/3rds, which
have a lot less noise than compact cameras and certainly cellphone
cameras, which have tiny sensors and very aggressive noise reduction
(which works fairly well, but not without compromise).

nospam April 19th 18 04:55 AM

A camera with a sensor bigger than 8 by 10 inches??!!

In article , android
wrote:

The sensor is probably dated and optimised for x-rays

probably not.

android April 19th 18 04:59 AM

On 2018-04-19 03:55:44 +0000, nospam said:

In article , android
wrote:

The sensor is probably dated and optimised for x-rays

probably not.

I stated the reasons for that opinion in that that you snipped. You're
dead wrong, of course! :-ppp
--
teleportation kills