PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Does anybody have an answer? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=106689)

ASAAR June 9th 09 02:37 PM

Does anybody have an answer?

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 04:35:50 -0700 (PDT), sambarluc wrote:

I have a silly idea: a modular camera, that you can build
on your needs like a PC. You don't buy the 73rd autofocus
point, if you don't need it.

Thom Hogan (who has considerable inside information about all
things Nikon) has been talking up modular cameras from Nikon as well
as a modern FM2.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...1642287&page=1

No real proof, but he thinks it's something being considered. If
it is produced it won't be as you envision it. You wouldn't buy
autofocus points. You *might* be able to buy different AF
assemblies, different sensors, etc. Thom was, BTW, a co-designer of
one of the first digital cameras and also the QuickCam (it's
possible that these are the same).

Yes. Logitech bought the business from us after we proved there
was actually a market there ;~). I was told by everyone in the
industry we showed it to that we'd never sell it at a profit (we
did, even though it's initial price was US$89) and wouldn't sell
more than 5,000 (we sold 1 million units in two years). But that's
a different story for a different time...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=31853148