PhotoBanter.com

-   General Photography Techniques (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Where to develop B&W film in London? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=79519)

Hoshisato April 9th 07 04:16 PM

Where to develop B&W film in London?

I'm looking for a good address to have Black&White 35mm film developed
in London. I tried Jessops but they took 2 weeks and the negatives had
lots of calcium deposits on them. Any suggestions?

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios April 9th 07 06:56 PM

Where to develop B&W film in London?

? "Hoshisato" ?????? ??? ??????
ups.com...
I'm looking for a good address to have Black&White 35mm film developed
in London. I tried Jessops but they took 2 weeks and the negatives had
lots of calcium deposits on them. Any suggestions?

Although this doesn't belong to rec.photo.digital, the traditional way is to
do it yourself.Buy a developer, some stop bath, some fixer, a changing bag,
a 35 mm tank and an apprentice's darkroom book and you 're all set.IMHO
that's the reason that (almost) everybody has gone digital, you don't have
all the hassle and you do all the processing with your computer, and anyway
what you gonna do to print your B&W photos?

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

Mike O'Sullivan April 9th 07 07:05 PM

Where to develop B&W film in London?

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
? "Hoshisato" ?????? ??? ??????
ups.com...
I'm looking for a good address to have Black&White 35mm film developed
in London. I tried Jessops but they took 2 weeks and the negatives had
lots of calcium deposits on them. Any suggestions?

Although this doesn't belong to rec.photo.digital, the traditional way is to
do it yourself.Buy a developer, some stop bath, some fixer, a changing bag,
a 35 mm tank and an apprentice's darkroom book and you 're all set.IMHO
that's the reason that (almost) everybody has gone digital, you don't have
all the hassle and you do all the processing with your computer, and anyway
what you gonna do to print your B&W photos?

I remember going through all that with my dad in the bathroom, fixer in
the washbasin etc.

Brian April 9th 07 07:31 PM

Where to develop B&W film in London?

Google is your friend - try 'b&w film processing london'

Summer Wind[_2_] April 10th 07 05:37 AM

Where to develop B&W film in London?

"Hoshisato" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm looking for a good address to have Black&White 35mm film developed
in London. I tried Jessops but they took 2 weeks and the negatives had
lots of calcium deposits on them. Any suggestions?

Developing your own black and white film is a lot easier than you might
think. There are a lot of "how to" sites on the Web. Here are a couple.

http://photography.about.com/library...white%20 film

http://www.ehow.com/how_1353_develop-black-white.html

You will either find the process rewarding or a hassle. I find it
enjoyable. Are you going to scan or print your negatives?

Chromogenic B&W films an alternative to traditional silver emulsions. They
are processed in C-41 chemistry, so you can drop them off at the nearest
minilab and get negatives and prints. Use the prints as proofs and print or
scan the negatives. Here's an article.

http://photography.about.com/library.../aa090202d.htm

SW

Allen April 10th 07 02:57 PM

Where to develop B&W film in London?

Summer Wind wrote:
"Hoshisato" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I haven't done B&W in many years, but I ran many rolls of Panatomic-X
through Agfa Rodinal (both, I'm sure, NLA) after loading into a tank in
a changing bag. Temperature regulation was the hardest part. My
daughter, who is an artist, loves B&W and uses the chromogenic film you
mentioned; she takes it to a minilab and gets great results. She has
several 8x10s and 8x12s framed and hanging in her house. Having an
artist's eye certainly doesn't hurt, I must say. The downside in my case
is that whenever I want to do film I have to go and get my old Canon EOS
Elan from her. (This post really kept the spellcheck busy.)
Allen

Scott W April 10th 07 06:51 PM

On Apr 9, 5:16 am, "Hoshisato" wrote:
I'm looking for a good address to have Black&White 35mm film developed
in London. I tried Jessops but they took 2 weeks and the negatives had
lots of calcium deposits on them. Any suggestions?

If you are just looking to get the negatives developed then doing
yourself is likely to be the best bet. A changing bag and a
development tank are what you will need, no need for a darkroom.

If you have hard water then keeping a bit of distilled water on hand
for a final rinse and help with spotting.

Scott