PhotoBanter.com

-   General Photography Techniques (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Just starting out (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=3946)

Vulture774 October 2nd 03 06:47 PM

Just starting out

"Ian Pettman" wrote in message ...
hi

I just bought a Praktica BMS electronic in superb condition (ebay), my first
SLR

Just starting out with photography, Just wondered if you guys could point me
in the direction of
a web page, or a good book, for basic photography - really looking for
shutter speed to aperture settings, that sort of thing

any help will be appreciated very much

Thankyou in advance

Ian

Check out "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.
Verry good Book on the basics of exposure.

TJack October 30th 03 12:41 AM

Just starting out

Hi Ian.

I'm just starting out with an SLR as well, and had many of the same
questions until a few days ago. I picked up "The Basic Book of
Photography", referenced below, and found it extremely helpful and easy to
follow.

If there is anyone with experiance who has any comments on the book, I would
love to hear them; I know this may seem like the blind leading the blind.

Good luck, TJ

Grimm, Tom and Michelle. The Basic Book of Photography, 5th ed. 2003. New
York: Penguin Group Inc.

Francis A. Miniter October 30th 03 04:49 AM

Just starting out

I am not familiar with the particular book. But I may be able to help
in a general way. At the first stage of photography, with a camera in
hand, the first area of knowledge you need to master is image
composition. So, books such as Hedgecoe, "The Photographer's Handbook"
(always in print, it seems) or Levey, Irish & Kazdan, "Photography:
Composition, Color, Display" (Amphoto, 1979) would be good guides, as
would the Kodak "Here's How Book of Photography". Also, a very useful
way to learn composition is to look at a lot of photography of others.
You could get "Black & White Magazine", which surveys the work of
current and past photographers. Or, start looking at the New York Times
Sunday Magazine Section in a new way - seeing the photos as what has
been selected to make the point, and, yes, the commercial photography is
important. You can even start looking at movies from the point of view
of composition. What is included within the vision of the camera, what
is excluded. What is in the background, or in the foreground. In fact,
movies are very good in this regard, because you see truly professional
placement of foreground and background images and how they relate to
each other. Once you start seeing still images and moving images in
this manner, your whole concept of photography will develop in a new
direction.

Francis A. Miniter