PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Best Spent $600??? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=8798)

Tom C. August 8th 04 04:56 AM

Best Spent $600???

I'm finally jumping into the digital camera world after having a great slr
system for some years. Would like a 5mp or better mid-level camera to start
with and was considering the Canon G5, until I read about the slow autofocus
that some reviewers have mentioned online. Trying to keep my budget to
$600, but can probably go up to $700 if it's worth it.

Any others that I should consider?
How about the Olympus C5060w? Fuji Finepix S7000?

Thanks for any help.

- Tom C.

nospam August 8th 04 06:15 AM

Best Spent $600???

In article , Tom C.
wrote:

I'm finally jumping into the digital camera world after having a great slr
system for some years. Would like a 5mp or better mid-level camera to start
with and was considering the Canon G5, until I read about the slow autofocus
that some reviewers have mentioned online. Trying to keep my budget to
$600, but can probably go up to $700 if it's worth it.

Any others that I should consider?
How about the Olympus C5060w? Fuji Finepix S7000?

since you have an existing slr system, you might want to save up a
little more and get a digital slr. the nikon d70 and canon digital
rebel are about $900. pentax will have one in that range soon, and
minolta will have their first slr but it isn't expected to be that
cheap. there will be a world of difference between these and the
cameras you listed, and you already have lenses.

clw August 8th 04 03:28 PM

Best Spent $600???

In article ,
"Tom C." wrote:

I'm finally jumping into the digital camera world after having a great slr
system for some years. Would like a 5mp or better mid-level camera to start
with and was considering the Canon G5, until I read about the slow autofocus
that some reviewers have mentioned online. Trying to keep my budget to
$600, but can probably go up to $700 if it's worth it.

Any others that I should consider?
How about the Olympus C5060w? Fuji Finepix S7000?

Thanks for any help.

- Tom C.

Try a Canon S 60 and add a spare battery and a larger card and you would
be right on your budget of about 600.00.

--
It is an aspect of maturity to deal rationally with inconsistencies

Michael Benveniste August 8th 04 04:38 PM

Best Spent $600???

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 20:56:03 -0700, "Tom C."
wrote:

Trying to keep my budget to $600, but can probably go up to $700 if
it's worth it.

Is that budget just for the camera, or do you have to fit in digital
editing tools, printers, etc into that figure?

--
Michael Benveniste --

Tom C. August 8th 04 05:23 PM

Best Spent $600???

The $600 will be only for the camera. I already have a 64mb card that I use
with an older 1.3mp Canon A10 - so I'll use that for a while and will
upgrade to a larger card later on.

I already have a printer and Photoshop.

Thanks-

Sabineellen August 8th 04 06:22 PM

Best Spent $600???

Any others that I should consider?
How about the Olympus C5060w? Fuji Finepix S7000?

The G5 will soon be updated to the G6.
Fuji s7000 was criticized for its image quality.

I would get the Olympus c5060w, which has a superb image quality. I almost got
it but decided to get the HP 945 because it uses AA batteries and has a longer
zoon. The image quality from the 5060 or even the 5050 shows a sharper lens.
Both the 5060 and the HP 945 won DIMA 2004 awards for image quality. The 5060
is a better camera overall if you don't mind the proprietary batteries. As for
zoom, i think wide angle is better than long telephoto. The HP 945 may soon be
updated.