PhotoBanter.com

-   Photographing People (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Fill Flash ? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=24993)

Abheet Gidwani via PhotoKB.com January 8th 05 10:56 AM

Fill Flash ?

Hello ..

I am a self taught photographer . I learn by experimenting and asking

I am going to be shooting outdoors using a flash light . ll i need to know what are things that i need to take care off. i.e how do i set the appeture considering that there will be other light sources as well?

Rowan January 8th 05 02:47 PM

Will your flash be the main light or a fill light?

Abheet Gidwani via PhotoKB.com January 9th 05 09:04 AM

well am shooting at night .. so i guess my flash will be my key light .. and the street lights will be my ambient.. or if i shoot in the day i still would prefer my flash light to be my key light .

Abheet Gidwani via PhotoKB.com January 9th 05 09:04 AM

dadiOH January 9th 05 03:54 PM

Abheet Gidwani via PhotoKB.com wrote:
well am shooting at night .. so i guess my flash will be my key light
.. and the street lights will be my ambient..

Disregard them for your purpose
____________

or if i shoot in the
day i still would prefer my flash light to be my key light .

Then you will have to meter the ambient light and choose a
shutter/aperture combination that will under expose it while giving
correct exposure for the flash. Not always easy to do with focal plane
shutters.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

zeitgeist January 16th 05 09:49 AM

well am shooting at night .. so i guess my flash will be my key light ..

and the street lights will be my ambient.. or if i shoot in the day i still
would prefer my flash light to be my key light .

meter ambient light, select an f/stop that can give you enough flash
exposure and enough ambient light.

remember:

flash is controlled by the f/stop and output power
ambient is controlled by the f/stop and shutter speed.

your flash sync speed (for focal plane shutters) is the maximum speed that
will allow the flash to fire while the shutter is open fully from one side
to the other, you can usually shoot at slower speeds and many cameras have
choice of first or second curtain flash (so the streaks can look like they
are following the subject and not streaking through them)

so you could select a large f/stop or low output from your flash and then
look at your meter and select a shutter speed that will allow the ambient to
build up.

if your flash is the key light then you want your background to be one stop
under, maybe 1.5 stops

if your flash is fill then select an f/stop or output power that will be one
stop under the ambient exposure on the subject.