PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Good news for high volume data backup (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=91654)

Alfred Molon[_4_] January 5th 08 10:35 AM

Good news for high volume data backup

http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsr...700383,00.html

Warner chose to support only the higher capacity Blue Ray format (50GB
per disk for Blue Ray vs. 30GB per disk for HD DVD).

This could mean the death of the lower capacity HD DVD format and lower
costs for Blue Ray disks due to their mass use (economies of scale).

Good news for all photographers who have to backup Gigabytes and
Gigabytes of images :-)
--

Alfred Molon

gpaleo January 5th 08 11:25 AM

Good news for high volume data backup

"Alfred Molon" wrote
http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsr...700383,00.html
Warner chose to support only the higher capacity Blue Ray format (50GB
per disk for Blue Ray vs. 30GB per disk for HD DVD).

This could mean the death of the lower capacity HD DVD format and lower
costs for Blue Ray disks due to their mass use (economies of scale).

Good news for all photographers who have to backup Gigabytes and
Gigabytes of images :-)

Alfred Molon

Gave up on optical media when 500GB hard disks dropped to 100EURO or less.
Now I back up nearly instantly to removable drives.
If you install a RAID array, it's even simpler.

David J Taylor[_4_] January 5th 08 11:28 AM

Good news for high volume data backup

Alfred Molon wrote:
[]
Good news for all photographers who have to backup Gigabytes and
Gigabytes of images :-)

I'm considering whether I really want wallets and wallets of DVDs for
backup - DVDs which may not be readable in a few years time. Instead, I'm
thinking of a couple of portable 250GB 2.5-inch HDs......

David

Alfred Molon[_4_] January 5th 08 01:42 PM

Good news for high volume data backup

In article , david-
says...

I'm considering whether I really want wallets and wallets of DVDs for
backup - DVDs which may not be readable in a few years time. Instead, I'm
thinking of a couple of portable 250GB 2.5-inch HDs......

A highly risky approach. One head crash and you lose everything.

Besides it's sufficient if DVDs last until the next generation of media
becomes available. You then just need to copy all your disks to the next
media generation.
--

Alfred Molon

Alfred Molon[_4_] January 5th 08 01:43 PM

Good news for high volume data backup

In article 1199532306.114264@athprx04, says...

Gave up on optical media when 500GB hard disks dropped to 100EURO or less.
Now I back up nearly instantly to removable drives.
If you install a RAID array, it's even simpler.

But they are by far not as safe as DVD-Rs. I use a RAID array and in
addition keep backup copies on DVDs.
--

Alfred Molon

Shawn Hirn January 5th 08 01:56 PM

Good news for high volume data backup

In article ,
Alfred Molon wrote:

http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsr...700383,00.html

Warner chose to support only the higher capacity Blue Ray format (50GB
per disk for Blue Ray vs. 30GB per disk for HD DVD).

This could mean the death of the lower capacity HD DVD format and lower
costs for Blue Ray disks due to their mass use (economies of scale).

Good news for all photographers who have to backup Gigabytes and
Gigabytes of images :-)

Hmm. You might be right, but considering that HD DVD has some powerful
supporters, don't knock it out yet. I also am not sure optical disks
would make good backup media only because writing to them would be a
heck of a lot slower than mechanical disk drives or solid state devices.

David J Taylor[_4_] January 5th 08 04:31 PM

Good news for high volume data backup

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , david-
says...

I'm considering whether I really want wallets and wallets of DVDs for
backup - DVDs which may not be readable in a few years time.
Instead, I'm thinking of a couple of portable 250GB 2.5-inch
HDs......

A highly risky approach. One head crash and you lose everything.

Er, no. (a) it's a backup and the originals may still be available (I
tend to keep all my processed stuff on disk, but not the unprocessed
"master"), and (b) the whole point of the two HDs is in case one fails
(portable to that one can be kept off-site).

Besides it's sufficient if DVDs last until the next generation of
media becomes available. You then just need to copy all your disks to
the next media generation.

... and I think I would prefer to copy one 250GB disk to the next 2TB (or
whatever) rather than have to copy 60 DVDs.

Cheers,
David

PossumTrot[_3_] January 5th 08 05:52 PM

"Shawn Hirn" wrote in message

Hmm. You might be right, but considering that HD DVD has some powerful
supporters, don't knock it out yet. I also am not sure optical disks
would make good backup media only because writing to them would be a
heck of a lot slower than mechanical disk drives or solid state devices.

I too assumed that the recent announcement that Warner had chosen BluRay
might mean the end of HD-DVD, but an article today says that consumers have
bought about 60% more HD-DVD machines than BluRay (something like 500,000+
to 300,000+). One of the reasons for those numbers may be that WalMart
sells HD-DVD machines exclusively.

Ilya Zakharevich January 5th 08 07:50 PM

], who wrote in article :
http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsr...700383,00.html

Warner chose to support only the higher capacity Blue Ray format (50GB
per disk for Blue Ray vs. 30GB per disk for HD DVD).

This could mean the death of the lower capacity HD DVD format and lower
costs for Blue Ray disks due to their mass use (economies of scale).

Good news for all photographers who have to backup Gigabytes and
Gigabytes of images :-)

In fact, this MIGHT be a very bad news to (smarter? ;-) consumers.

I happened to investigate the difference between two formats last
week; ignoring the size difference (which may come and go due to
possibility of multi-layer variants), the MAJOR difference between the
formats is the encryption.

Apparently, Blu-ray MANDATES the AACS encryption. To add AACS, you
need to set up an account with AACS (about $3K - $10K, depending on
nobody knows what), and, after this, pay AACS about $1500 for each
master disk. Currently, the state of debugging is that you need about
3 "try" masters before you get a satisfactory result. This gives the
minimum overhead price of AACS of $9K or more.

This is nothing for major releases; thus people who see HD contents
only via major movies, this overhead does not matter at all. But for
"independent" video producers, this makes releasing Blu-ray
prohibitive. Thus, a Blu-ray-only world would be skewed much more to
the side of big corporations.

[Today, to release a few thousand run costs about $3.5 per HD disk,
and $7 per disk on Blu-ray; AFAIK, this difference is due NOT to the
technical matters, but entirely to AACS fees (it is with a producer
who takes video content, and returns already printed stuff). It
won't go down due to volume economy. The printing price is
practically the same - both per layer, or per gigabyte...]

Hope this helps,
Ilya

P.S. I could not find out on which step the AACS-requirement is
enforced. Is it the player, the Sony printing facilities, or
ALL printint facilities? If somebody knows, please answer...

Thanks...

Alfred Molon[_4_] January 5th 08 09:55 PM

Good news for high volume data backup

In article , david-
says...

.. and I think I would prefer to copy one 250GB disk to the next 2TB (or
whatever) rather than have to copy 60 DVDs.

You can still do that. But you should keep backups on DVD just in case.
--

Alfred Molon

nospam January 6th 08 12:00 AM

Good news for high volume data backup

I gave up on that a while ago. I prefer to use two usb drives which I
rotate, keeping one in my desk at work. Prior to this I kept DVDs at work.
But given how inexpensive these disks are these days and how much quicker
they are than burning DVDs, it's not a hard choice to make.

i used to do the cd/dvd route too. what a royal pain in the butt that
was.

now, i have all my images on a single drive (backed up of course) and
any image is easily accessible at any time, even when i travel. that
would be impossible with dvds.

george[_2_] January 6th 08 02:57 AM

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsr...700383,00.html

Warner chose to support only the higher capacity Blue Ray format (50GB
per disk for Blue Ray vs. 30GB per disk for HD DVD).

This could mean the death of the lower capacity HD DVD format and lower
costs for Blue Ray disks due to their mass use (economies of scale).

Of course on the downside for Blue Ray is that Sony is on their side. How
can one argue with a company whose line of "successes" include:
1) Betamax
2) MD
3) 8mm video
4) Hi-8 video
5) Digital-8 video
6) Memory Stick and Memory Stick Pro
7) SACD
8) Li-Ion batteries used in Dell and other PCs (you remember, that enormous
recall...)
I've probably even missed some!

David J Taylor[_4_] January 6th 08 07:19 AM

Good news for high volume data backup

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , david-
says...

.. and I think I would prefer to copy one 250GB disk to the next 2TB
(or whatever) rather than have to copy 60 DVDs.

You can still do that. But you should keep backups on DVD just in
case.

I do agree with you, but then I ask, why? What is to say that a
cheap-and-nasty DVD-R (the sort you can buy in the local shops) written on
the cheapest DVD writer (the sort fitted to most PCs), is going to be more
reliable?

I'm proposing that my processed photos will be on 4 HDs, two 3.5-inch
"live" disks, and two 2.5-inch portable backup HDs, one kept off-site.

Cheers,
David

Alfred Molon[_4_] January 6th 08 10:09 AM

Good news for high volume data backup

In article , david-
says...

I do agree with you, but then I ask, why? What is to say that a
cheap-and-nasty DVD-R (the sort you can buy in the local shops) written on
the cheapest DVD writer (the sort fitted to most PCs), is going to be more
reliable?

Obviously you would use quality DVDs, wouldn't you? As for the writers
they seem to cost all the same. In any case, so far I have experienced
perhaps 1-2% bad DVDs which could not be read anymore and to be on the
safe side I burn two copies of each DVD (and I also have a HD backup,
see below).

I'm proposing that my processed photos will be on 4 HDs, two 3.5-inch
"live" disks, and two 2.5-inch portable backup HDs, one kept off-site.

I burn each file on two DVDs and keep a copy on a RAID array. I also
keep an additional copy on an external hard disk. I use the DVDs in case
something is wrong with the hard disks. In any case, at the moment I
have a huge and growing stack of DVDs, which is why a disk which has the
capacity of 11 DVDs sounds so appealing. Would reduce my DVD stack size
by a factor 11.
--

Alfred Molon

Al Dykes January 6th 08 12:42 PM

Good news for high volume data backup

In article ,
Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , david-
says...

I'm considering whether I really want wallets and wallets of DVDs for
backup - DVDs which may not be readable in a few years time. Instead, I'm
thinking of a couple of portable 250GB 2.5-inch HDs......

A highly risky approach. One head crash and you lose everything.

You need multiple backup copies no matter what the backup media is.

Bolshoi January 6th 08 01:31 PM

On 5 Jan, 11:35, Alfred Molon wrote:
http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsr...700383,00.html

Warner chose to support only the higher capacity Blue Ray format (50GB
per disk for Blue Ray vs. 30GB per disk for HD DVD).

This could mean the death of the lower capacity HD DVD format and lower
costs for Blue Ray disks due to their mass use (economies of scale).

Good news for all photographers who have to backup Gigabytes and
Gigabytes of images :-)
--

Alfred Molon

did you ever consider compressing the files first ??

Ron Hunter January 6th 08 02:27 PM

Alfred Molon wrote:
http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsr...700383,00.html

Warner chose to support only the higher capacity Blue Ray format (50GB
per disk for Blue Ray vs. 30GB per disk for HD DVD).

This could mean the death of the lower capacity HD DVD format and lower
costs for Blue Ray disks due to their mass use (economies of scale).

Good news for all photographers who have to backup Gigabytes and
Gigabytes of images :-)

Well, it will sell more players...
I am still not convinced that optical media is reliable enough for my
backups.
I have rented entirely too many unplayable DVDs.

David J Taylor[_4_] January 6th 08 02:35 PM

Bolshoi wrote:
On 5 Jan, 11:35, Alfred Molon wrote:
http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsr...700383,00.html

Warner chose to support only the higher capacity Blue Ray format
(50GB
per disk for Blue Ray vs. 30GB per disk for HD DVD).

This could mean the death of the lower capacity HD DVD format and
lower
costs for Blue Ray disks due to their mass use (economies of scale).

Good news for all photographers who have to backup Gigabytes and
Gigabytes of images :-)
--

Alfred Molon
sharing site

did you ever consider compressing the files first ??

Did you every try compressing JPEGs?

Jürgen Exner January 6th 08 05:05 PM

Bolshoi wrote:
did you ever consider compressing the files first ??

JPEG is already a compressed format. Even much more elaborate (read: much
more expensive) compression algorithms won't be able to squeeze them more
than a very few percentage points tighter.

If you are talking about RAW then that's a different animal, of course.

jue
--
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Alfred Molon[_4_] January 6th 08 05:26 PM

Good news for high volume data backup

In article , says...

did you ever consider compressing the files first ??

JPEGs are already compressed. Compressing the RAW files would reduce
their size to a bit over half, but it's not that practical (you have to
decompress the files to be able to use them and this takes time).

Besides, should there be some data damage to individual bytes, with an
uncompressed file only one pixel or also its neighbours are affected,
while if it's a compressed file the damage is much greater.
--

Alfred Molon

Alfred Molon[_4_] January 6th 08 05:26 PM

Good news for high volume data backup

In article , says...

You need multiple backup copies no matter what the backup media is.

Yes, that is what I am suggesting. The DVDs are the backup of the RAID
array.
--

Alfred Molon

David J Taylor[_4_] January 6th 08 05:58 PM

Good news for high volume data backup

Alfred Molon wrote:
[]
JPEGs are already compressed. Compressing the RAW files would reduce
their size to a bit over half, but it's not that practical (you have
decompress the files to be able to use them and this takes time).

Actually, some operating systems include optional compression at the file
level - for example NTFS. Has anyone measured how much extra time this
would add to opening a RAW file? I haven't seen any significant extra
time to using comressed files in NTFS, but I don't use RAW.

Cheers,
David

Scott W January 6th 08 06:59 PM

Good news for high volume data backup

On Jan 6, 7:58*am, "David J Taylor" -this-
bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk wrote:
Alfred Molon wrote:

[]

JPEGs are already compressed. Compressing the RAW files would reduce
their size to a bit over half, but it's not that practical (you have
decompress the files to be able to use them and this takes time).

Actually, some operating systems include optional compression at the file
level - for example NTFS. *Has anyone measured how much extra time this
would add to opening a RAW file? *I haven't seen any significant extra
time to using comressed files in NTFS, but I don't use RAW.

Raw files are compressed already. A non-compressed raw file on a 8MP
camera with 12 bits/color would take 12 MBytes of space, but the
normal size for a raw file from a 8MP camera is closer to 8MBytes.

Scott

Scott

acl January 6th 08 07:11 PM

On Jan 6, 9:59 pm, Scott W wrote:

Raw files are compressed already.

Not all, my d200 offers either lossy compression or no compression. No
lossless compression.

nospam January 6th 08 07:14 PM

Good news for high volume data backup

In article
,
acl wrote:

On Jan 6, 9:59 pm, Scott W wrote:

Raw files are compressed already.

Not all, my d200 offers either lossy compression or no compression. No
lossless compression.

the pentax k100d has uncompressed raw - 10 meg file from a 6mp sensor.

Alfred Molon[_4_] January 6th 08 08:10 PM

Good news for high volume data backup

In article cee743f0-3371-4e7a-ad4f-ae667f92be21
@e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com, says...

Raw files are compressed already. A non-compressed raw file on a 8MP
camera with 12 bits/color would take 12 MBytes of space, but the
normal size for a raw file from a 8MP camera is closer to 8MBytes.

That depends on the camera. Not all cameras compress the RAW files.
--

Alfred Molon

Bolshoi January 6th 08 08:21 PM

Good news for high volume data backup

On 6 Jan, 18:26, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , says...

did you ever consider compressing the files first ??

JPEGs are already compressed. Compressing the RAW files would reduce
their size to a bit over half, but it's not that practical (you have to
decompress the files to be able to use them and this takes time).

Besides, should there be some data damage to individual bytes, with an
uncompressed file only one pixel or also its neighbours are affected,
while if it's a compressed file the damage is much greater.
--

Alfred Molon

I am going to buy a 500mb hdd shortly after thinking about putting
data on DVD etc..
but a quick google shows JPG compression software.....whether it is
useful or not I have yet to find out

Bolshoi January 6th 08 08:22 PM

On 6 Jan, 21:21, Bolshoi wrote:
On 6 Jan, 18:26, Alfred Molon wrote:

In article , says...

did you ever consider compressing the files first ??

JPEGs are already compressed. Compressing the RAW files would reduce
their size to a bit over half, but it's not that practical (you have to
decompress the files to be able to use them and this takes time).

Besides, should there be some data damage to individual bytes, with an
uncompressed file only one pixel or also its neighbours are affected,
while if it's a compressed file the damage is much greater.
--

Alfred Molon

I am going to buy a 500mb hdd shortly after thinking about putting
data on DVD etc..
but a quick google shows JPG compression software.....whether it is
useful or not I have yet to find out

.....500gb.....about 99 euro's in Carrefour

Robert Haar January 6th 08 08:34 PM

On 1/5/08 9:57 PM, "george" wrote:

Of course on the downside for Blue Ray is that Sony is on their side. How
can one argue with a company whose line of "successes" include:
1) Betamax
2) MD
3) 8mm video
4) Hi-8 video
5) Digital-8 video
6) Memory Stick and Memory Stick Pro
7) SACD
8) Li-Ion batteries used in Dell and other PCs (you remember, that enormous
recall...)
I've probably even missed some!

Don't forget the Windows root kit that was on Sony BMG audio CDs until
public outcry (and some lawsuits) made them change.

Jürgen Exner January 6th 08 09:10 PM

Bolshoi wrote:
....500gb.....about 99 euro's in Carrefour

Fry's in the US just had a special: Seagate 500GB PATA for 99$ US.
At the current exchange rate that's just 67 Euro.

BTW: I'm pretty sure you didn't mean gramm bit (that would be gb) but giga
byte (that's GB) ;-))

jue

Frank ess January 7th 08 12:51 AM

PossumTrot wrote:
"Shawn Hirn" wrote in message

Hmm. You might be right, but considering that HD DVD has some
powerful supporters, don't knock it out yet. I also am not sure
optical disks would make good backup media only because writing to
them would be a heck of a lot slower than mechanical disk drives
or solid state devices.

I too assumed that the recent announcement that Warner had chosen
BluRay might mean the end of HD-DVD, but an article today says that
consumers have bought about 60% more HD-DVD machines than BluRay
(something like 500,000+ to 300,000+). One of the reasons for
those numbers may be that WalMart sells HD-DVD machines exclusively.

"For my part, my images are not worth backing up."

Who do you suppose said that? Or should have?

OT: Wasn't that long ago I saw a possum trotting. By the time I got
my camera, he was in a tree, hissing like a pointy-face cat.

My little companion animal, ET the Xoloitzquintli, did hold a skunk at
bay long enough that I could whip out my CP995:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/28/48...258b7404_o.jpg

--
Frank ess

Tony Cooper January 7th 08 03:19 AM

Good news for high volume data backup

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 16:51:11 -0800, "Frank ess"
wrote:

OT: Wasn't that long ago I saw a possum trotting.

I think I've been through there. It's near Pigeon Forge, isn't it?
Seems like there was a good restaurant on the town square.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Bolshoi January 7th 08 04:44 AM

On 6 Jan, 22:10, Jürgen Exner wrote:
Bolshoi wrote:
....500gb.....about 99 euro's in Carrefour

Fry's in the US just had a special: Seagate 500GB PATA for 99$ US.
At the current exchange rate that's just 67 Euro.

BTW: I'm pretty sure you didn't mean gramm bit (that would be gb) but giga
byte (that's GB) ;-))

jue

damn that Belgian beer ;-)

artix January 7th 08 10:30 AM

Alfred Molon wrote:
http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsr...700383,00.html

Warner chose to support only the higher capacity Blue Ray format (50GB
per disk for Blue Ray vs. 30GB per disk for HD DVD).

This could mean the death of the lower capacity HD DVD format and lower
costs for Blue Ray disks due to their mass use (economies of scale).

Good news for all photographers who have to backup Gigabytes and
Gigabytes of images :-)

That is good news indeed. Hopefully those disks will last longer than
average CDs.

--
artix
http://www.abstractart.ws _Abstract Art Directory_

PossumTrot[_3_] January 7th 08 01:00 PM

OT:Possum Trot was the original name for what is now Kansas City

"Frank ess" wrote in message

PossumTrot wrote:
I too assumed that the recent announcement that Warner had chosen
BluRay might mean the end of HD-DVD, but an article today says that
consumers have bought about 60% more HD-DVD machines than BluRay
(something like 500,000+ to 300,000+). One of the reasons for
those numbers may be that WalMart sells HD-DVD machines exclusively.

OT: Wasn't that long ago I saw a possum trotting. By the time I got my
camera, he was in a tree, hissing like a pointy-face cat.
Frank ess

Frank, As a former denizen of Kansas City, Mo. I chose the moniker Possum
Trot to celebrate its history. The original settlers also considered
Rabbitville and Port Fonda, eventually chosing the name based on the Kansa
tribe which lived in the area..

Frank ess January 9th 08 03:23 AM

PossumTrot wrote:
"Frank ess" wrote in message

PossumTrot wrote:
I too assumed that the recent announcement that Warner had chosen
BluRay might mean the end of HD-DVD, but an article today says
that consumers have bought about 60% more HD-DVD machines than
BluRay (something like 500,000+ to 300,000+). One of the reasons
for those numbers may be that WalMart sells HD-DVD machines
exclusively.

OT: Wasn't that long ago I saw a possum trotting. By the time I
got my camera, he was in a tree, hissing like a pointy-face cat.
Frank ess

Frank, As a former denizen of Kansas City, Mo. I chose the moniker
Possum Trot to celebrate its history. The original settlers also
considered Rabbitville and Port Fonda, eventually chosing the name
based on the Kansa tribe which lived in the area..

Very interesting. Thank you.

It's going to get dark in KC come October: the Black Mustang Club will
be holding its national five-day meeting there. blackmustangclub.com.

--
Frank ess