PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Good news for high volume data backup (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=91654)

Alfred Molon[_4_] January 6th 08 05:26 PM

Good news for high volume data backup

In article , says...

You need multiple backup copies no matter what the backup media is.

Yes, that is what I am suggesting. The DVDs are the backup of the RAID
array.
--

Alfred Molon

David J Taylor[_4_] January 6th 08 05:58 PM

Good news for high volume data backup

Alfred Molon wrote:
[]
JPEGs are already compressed. Compressing the RAW files would reduce
their size to a bit over half, but it's not that practical (you have
decompress the files to be able to use them and this takes time).

Actually, some operating systems include optional compression at the file
level - for example NTFS. Has anyone measured how much extra time this
would add to opening a RAW file? I haven't seen any significant extra
time to using comressed files in NTFS, but I don't use RAW.

Cheers,
David

Scott W January 6th 08 06:59 PM

Good news for high volume data backup

On Jan 6, 7:58*am, "David J Taylor" -this-
bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk wrote:
Alfred Molon wrote:

[]

JPEGs are already compressed. Compressing the RAW files would reduce
their size to a bit over half, but it's not that practical (you have
decompress the files to be able to use them and this takes time).

Actually, some operating systems include optional compression at the file
level - for example NTFS. *Has anyone measured how much extra time this
would add to opening a RAW file? *I haven't seen any significant extra
time to using comressed files in NTFS, but I don't use RAW.

Raw files are compressed already. A non-compressed raw file on a 8MP
camera with 12 bits/color would take 12 MBytes of space, but the
normal size for a raw file from a 8MP camera is closer to 8MBytes.

Scott

Scott

acl January 6th 08 07:11 PM

On Jan 6, 9:59 pm, Scott W wrote:

Raw files are compressed already.

Not all, my d200 offers either lossy compression or no compression. No
lossless compression.

nospam January 6th 08 07:14 PM

Good news for high volume data backup

In article
,
acl wrote:

On Jan 6, 9:59 pm, Scott W wrote:

Raw files are compressed already.

Not all, my d200 offers either lossy compression or no compression. No
lossless compression.

the pentax k100d has uncompressed raw - 10 meg file from a 6mp sensor.

Alfred Molon[_4_] January 6th 08 08:10 PM

Good news for high volume data backup

In article cee743f0-3371-4e7a-ad4f-ae667f92be21
@e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com, says...

Raw files are compressed already. A non-compressed raw file on a 8MP
camera with 12 bits/color would take 12 MBytes of space, but the
normal size for a raw file from a 8MP camera is closer to 8MBytes.

That depends on the camera. Not all cameras compress the RAW files.
--

Alfred Molon

Bolshoi January 6th 08 08:21 PM

Good news for high volume data backup

On 6 Jan, 18:26, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , says...

did you ever consider compressing the files first ??

JPEGs are already compressed. Compressing the RAW files would reduce
their size to a bit over half, but it's not that practical (you have to
decompress the files to be able to use them and this takes time).

Besides, should there be some data damage to individual bytes, with an
uncompressed file only one pixel or also its neighbours are affected,
while if it's a compressed file the damage is much greater.
--

Alfred Molon

I am going to buy a 500mb hdd shortly after thinking about putting
data on DVD etc..
but a quick google shows JPG compression software.....whether it is
useful or not I have yet to find out

Bolshoi January 6th 08 08:22 PM

On 6 Jan, 21:21, Bolshoi wrote:
On 6 Jan, 18:26, Alfred Molon wrote:

In article , says...

did you ever consider compressing the files first ??

JPEGs are already compressed. Compressing the RAW files would reduce
their size to a bit over half, but it's not that practical (you have to
decompress the files to be able to use them and this takes time).

Besides, should there be some data damage to individual bytes, with an
uncompressed file only one pixel or also its neighbours are affected,
while if it's a compressed file the damage is much greater.
--

Alfred Molon

I am going to buy a 500mb hdd shortly after thinking about putting
data on DVD etc..
but a quick google shows JPG compression software.....whether it is
useful or not I have yet to find out

.....500gb.....about 99 euro's in Carrefour

Robert Haar January 6th 08 08:34 PM

Good news for high volume data backup

On 1/5/08 9:57 PM, "george" wrote:

Of course on the downside for Blue Ray is that Sony is on their side. How
can one argue with a company whose line of "successes" include:
1) Betamax
2) MD
3) 8mm video
4) Hi-8 video
5) Digital-8 video
6) Memory Stick and Memory Stick Pro
7) SACD
8) Li-Ion batteries used in Dell and other PCs (you remember, that enormous
recall...)
I've probably even missed some!

Don't forget the Windows root kit that was on Sony BMG audio CDs until
public outcry (and some lawsuits) made them change.

Jürgen Exner January 6th 08 09:10 PM

Bolshoi wrote:
....500gb.....about 99 euro's in Carrefour

Fry's in the US just had a special: Seagate 500GB PATA for 99$ US.
At the current exchange rate that's just 67 Euro.

BTW: I'm pretty sure you didn't mean gramm bit (that would be gb) but giga
byte (that's GB) ;-))

jue