PhotoBanter.com

-   Digital SLR Cameras (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Why does Nikon keep making FF lenses? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=75656)

RichA January 13th 07 05:59 AM

Why does Nikon keep making FF lenses?

They could cut their costs substantially by going with sub-FF support
lenses, even ones designed for
digital, Olympus's overpriced pro lenses notwithstanding.
Looking that this, I'd say it's a fair bet Nikon is going FF at some
point, maybe soon.

DX lenses:

DX Nikkor Lenses for DX Format Digital SLRs
10.5mm f/2.8G ED AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor
12-24mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor - REBATE!
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor
18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor - NEW!
18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor
17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor - REBATE!
55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor

Film Lenses:

Vibration Reduction (VR) Lenses
70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
200mm f/2G ED-IF AF-S VR Nikkor
300mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Nikkor - REBATE!
24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor - REBATE!
70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor - REBATE!
80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED AF VR Zoom-Nikkor
200-400mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF AF Zoom-Nikkor
24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S Zoom-Nikkor
28-70mm f/2.8D ED-IF AF-S Zoom-Nikkor - REBATE!
28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G AF Zoom-Nikkor
28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D AF Zoom-Nikkor
70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor - NEW!
70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF Zoom-Nikkor
80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF Zoom-Nikkor - REBATE!

Greg \_\ January 13th 07 06:21 AM

Why does Nikon keep making FF lenses?

In article . com,
"RichA" wrote:

They could cut their costs substantially by going with sub-FF support
lenses, even ones designed for
digital, Olympus's overpriced pro lenses notwithstanding.
Looking that this, I'd say it's a fair bet Nikon is going FF at some
point, maybe soon.

I say March
--
"As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely,
the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great

Reality-Is finding that perfect picture
and never looking back.

www.gregblankphoto.com

C J Campbell January 13th 07 07:00 AM

Why does Nikon keep making FF lenses?

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 20:59:37 -0800, RichA wrote
(in article . com):

They could cut their costs substantially by going with sub-FF support
lenses, even ones designed for
digital, Olympus's overpriced pro lenses notwithstanding.
Looking that this, I'd say it's a fair bet Nikon is going FF at some
point, maybe soon.

Old news. Even Thom Hogan says the D3h will be released this year, possibly
at PMA, summer at the latest. As he says, there are too many prototypes
floating around -- nearly everybody who is anybody has seen one.

Father Kodak January 13th 07 08:18 AM

Why does Nikon keep making FF lenses?

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 22:00:44 -0800, C J Campbell
wrote:

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 20:59:37 -0800, RichA wrote
(in article . com):

They could cut their costs substantially by going with sub-FF support
lenses, even ones designed for
digital, Olympus's overpriced pro lenses notwithstanding.
Looking that this, I'd say it's a fair bet Nikon is going FF at some
point, maybe soon.

Old news. Even Thom Hogan says the D3h will be released this year, possibly
at PMA, summer at the latest. As he says, there are too many prototypes
floating around -- nearly everybody who is anybody has seen one.

Well, * I * haven't seen one, not even a (Photoshopped) image on a web
site.

But Thom is curiously very vague about the specifications, with his
"teaser" comment about a "surprise." What in heck does he mean with
that comment?

Father Kodak

Jeroen Wenting January 13th 07 10:02 AM

Why does Nikon keep making FF lenses?

They could cut their costs substantially by going with sub-FF support
lenses, even ones designed for
digital, Olympus's overpriced pro lenses notwithstanding.
Looking that this, I'd say it's a fair bet Nikon is going FF at some
point, maybe soon.

Nikon still has a massive userbase of people using real cameras and buying
lenses for those.
Anyway, anything is full frame for a given definition of "frame".
DX is "full frame", so is 645, so is 35mm, and so is 6x6.
And I doubt Nikon will ever produce a 6x6 DSLR, which (being the largest of
those formats) is the only true "full" frame among them, everything else is
smaller and therefore a subset of 6x6.

Old news. Even Thom Hogan says the D3h will be released this year,
possibly
at PMA, summer at the latest. As he says, there are too many prototypes
floating around -- nearly everybody who is anybody has seen one.

Well, * I * haven't seen one, not even a (Photoshopped) image on a web
site.

But Thom is curiously very vague about the specifications, with his
"teaser" comment about a "surprise." What in heck does he mean with
that comment?

it means he doesn't know and is just speculating but wants to sound
important by making you think he's got one already but isn't allowed to talk
(if he really had one he'd not even be allowed to say that you're in for a
surprise).

J. Clarke January 13th 07 03:00 PM

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 10:02:48 +0100, Jeroen Wenting wrote:

They could cut their costs substantially by going with sub-FF support
lenses, even ones designed for
digital, Olympus's overpriced pro lenses notwithstanding.
Looking that this, I'd say it's a fair bet Nikon is going FF at some
point, maybe soon.

Nikon still has a massive userbase of people using real cameras

I see. So digital cameras aren't "real"?

and
buying lenses for those.
Anyway, anything is full frame for a given definition of "frame". DX is
"full frame", so is 645, so is 35mm, and so is 6x6. And I doubt Nikon
will ever produce a 6x6 DSLR, which (being the largest of those formats)
is the only true "full" frame among them, everything else is smaller and
therefore a subset of 6x6.

The accepted definition of "full frame" is 35mm equivalent. By pretending
that you don't know this or trying to redefine the term you're exposing
yourself as ignorant, loony, or trolling.

Old news. Even Thom Hogan says the D3h will be released this year,
possibly
at PMA, summer at the latest. As he says, there are too many prototypes
floating around -- nearly everybody who is anybody has seen one.

Well, * I * haven't seen one, not even a (Photoshopped) image on a web
site.

But Thom is curiously very vague about the specifications, with his
"teaser" comment about a "surprise." What in heck does he mean with
that comment?

it means he doesn't know and is just speculating but wants to sound
important by making you think he's got one already but isn't allowed to
talk (if he really had one he'd not even be allowed to say that you're
in for a surprise).

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Bigguy January 13th 07 04:44 PM

Why does Nikon keep making FF lenses?

The accepted definition of "full frame" is 35mm equivalent.

Only if you work exclusively / mostly with 35mm....

Full frame has other meanings too.
I have a film / TV / photo background and the term 'full frame' has many
meanings depending on context.

/pedantry

Guy

gpaleo January 13th 07 06:21 PM

Why does Nikon keep making FF lenses?

Ο "J. Clarke" *γραψε στο μήνυμα

................................................. ......................................

The accepted definition of "full frame" is 35mm equivalent. By pretending
that you don't know this or trying to redefine the term you're exposing
yourself as ignorant, loony, or trolling.

................................................. .........................................

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

I shudder to think what the music industry would be like if they clung to
the notion that good CDs would have to be full frame, ie vinyl record size.
Why we compare melons with goldfish in the photo world is beyond me, saying
that a good goldfish should be melon sized and vice versa. The mediums are
so incredibly different that only end results are of importance. So if, in a
couple of years time, a sensor comes along thats 2x2 cm and WAY better than
film in picture quality we'll spit on it?? The "full frame" crap is just for
the huge 35mm lens base out there, and it will take some time for the notion
to simply wither and go away.

King Sardon January 13th 07 06:46 PM

Why does Nikon keep making FF lenses?

On 13 Jan 2007 14:00:14 GMT, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 10:02:48 +0100, Jeroen Wenting wrote:

Anyway, anything is full frame for a given definition of "frame". DX is
"full frame", so is 645, so is 35mm, and so is 6x6. And I doubt Nikon
will ever produce a 6x6 DSLR, which (being the largest of those formats)
is the only true "full" frame among them, everything else is smaller and
therefore a subset of 6x6.

The accepted definition of "full frame" is 35mm equivalent. By pretending
that you don't know this or trying to redefine the term you're exposing
yourself as ignorant, loony, or trolling.

35mm is a cropped format compared to 6x6. It's all relative to what
you are used to.

If medium fomat is your reference, then 35mm is cropped, and the 35mm
crop factor is 1.5. Instead of shooting portraits with your 150mm
lens, you would use 150/1.5 = about 100mm.

Focal lengths relative to the 35mm format are useful for many of us
because the format is so common, and we probably have some of the
lenses designed for that format around. But this format is now fading
and will be much less common in a few years.

So we should gradually stop comparing everything to 35mm.

The term "cropped format" is a bit depreciating, and suggests you are
losing something. You are not. The current Nikon and Canon small frame
formats are respectable and here to stay.

A normal focal length for the new formats is 30mm. Remember that
number: 30mm. No need to multiply anything.

KS

dennis@home January 13th 07 07:06 PM

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

The accepted definition of "full frame" is 35mm equivalent. By pretending
that you don't know this or trying to redefine the term you're exposing
yourself as ignorant, loony, or trolling.

I thought it was to distinguish between full frame and half frame 35mm
myself.
Of course 120 was full frame at 6x7 or 6x6 too.
Minox did a full frame 16mm at one time IIRC.
Are panoramic 35mm cameras more than full frame or full frame?

I would like less of the references to 35mm myself.
I used it for many years but I am quite capable of working a 4/3 camera
without having to refer to 35mm equivalents.