PhotoBanter.com

-   -   What's up with Nikon (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=13579)

leo September 21st 04 11:18 PM

What's up with Nikon

Canon announces their new products a month, or two at the most, before they
appear in the market. Nikon's doing the FUD more than half a year away, like
the D70 and now the D2X.

Roland Karlsson September 21st 04 11:23 PM

"leo" wrote in
ink.net:

Canon announces their new products a month, or two at the most, before
they appear in the market. Nikon's doing the FUD more than half a year
away, like the D70 and now the D2X.

Different tactics - thats all.

Both are just as valid.

A third tactic - to announce cameras that never arrive is not
a really clever tactic though - at least not in the long run.

/Roland

Bill Hilton September 21st 04 11:53 PM

From: "leo"

Canon announces their new products a month, or two at the most, before they
appear in the market. Nikon's doing the FUD more than half a year away, like
the D70 and now the D2X.

If you have a product like the 1Ds that's currently shipping you typically
wouldn't announce the model replacing it (1Ds Mark II) until you're ready to
start shipping. Otherwise sales would dry up for the existing model. Same
deal with the 20D, they announce it and start shipping product within a couple
of weeks, and suddenly the 10D looks like yesterday's news.

If you don't have a product in that slot (if you're not competing with
yourself) then you'd announce several months early since you aren't
canibalizing your sales and also you might keep some of your base users from
jumping ship to the competition. Minolta for example announced their dSLR last
February and we still don't know the ship date or price.

So Nikon has nothing to lose by announcing the D2X before they can actually
ship it, and a lot to gain since many pros have dumped Nikon and moved to Canon
because of the 1D Mark II and 1Ds. This should slow down the defections since
the D2X looks like a very sweet camera, based on the specs and projected price.

Bill

gsum September 22nd 04 08:09 AM

Nikon have a 3 year upgrade period and when they release a product
it is right first time - unlike the D60 which lasted a mere 7 months before
it had to be upgraded to bring it into line with the D100. Now we have the
20D which is only a slight improvement on the 10D. If the 20D
had 10 or 12 mp I might have been tempted to switch to Canon
but at 8mp the 20D appears to be a big mistake. Who's going to
buy it? Certainly not many D60, 10D or D100 owners. I'm waiting for a
D2X or D200 - can't afford Canon's upgrade path.

Graham

ink.net...

Eric Gill September 22nd 04 02:17 PM

"gsum" wrote in
:

Nikon have a 3 year upgrade period and when they release a product
it is right first time

What does this have to do with announcing a product six months in advance?

- unlike the D60 which lasted a mere 7 months
before it had to be upgraded to bring it into line with the D100. Now
we have the 20D which is only a slight improvement on the 10D.

If you had actually *used* the 20D, you wouldn't have said this.

If the 20D had 10 or 12 mp

....it would have cost $4,500 or more, instead of $1,500.

I might have been tempted to switch to Canon
but at 8mp the 20D appears to be a big mistake.

For who, exactly?

Who's going to buy it?

Someone who wants, oh, 90, 95% of the feature set of the 1d MkII at a
fraction of the cost.

Certainly not many D60, 10D or D100 owners.

You left out a good reason why this claim would be true.

I'm waiting for a
D2X or D200 - can't afford Canon's upgrade path.

Right, right - but you *can* afford to pay three times as much for another
camera body. Got it.