PhotoBanter.com

-   General Equipment For Sale (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Screwed by Canon Rebate (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=74898)

Steve December 29th 06 08:12 PM

Screwed by Canon Rebate

Andrew White wrote:
If you're not Scott, let me tell you something: rebate are a scam only
if you're a stupid and lazy slob. I get every single rebate I file.

Andrew, you are, of course, our hero. Only you could state with
absolute certainty that no rebate in history has ever remained unpaid
unless the submitter was a lazy slob.

--

Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.

....G.K. Chesterton

Glen December 29th 06 08:37 PM

Screwed by Canon Rebate

"Steve" wrote in message
Andrew White wrote:
If you're not Scott, let me tell you something: rebate are a scam only
if you're a stupid and lazy slob. I get every single rebate I file.

Andrew, you are, of course, our hero. Only you could state with
absolute certainty that no rebate in history has ever remained unpaid
unless the submitter was a lazy slob.

It's Andrew's MO. This guy is a hoot! When you get bored, read some of his
postings, he's proof, the Indian used to screw the buffalo.

December 29th 06 09:35 PM

Screwed by Canon Rebate

In article ,
HeyBub wrote:

I got a rebate check sometime back. It came in a nondescript envelope via
"Bulk Mail" (now known as "Standard Mail").

At least it was in an envelope. The last check I got was printed on a
postcard.

--
http://yosemitenews.info/

anon December 29th 06 10:22 PM

Screwed by Canon Rebate

go to fatwallet.com and check the 'rebates' forum. You
may be able to get contact info there for someone at
Canon, the retailer, or the rebate house.

it may be a cliche, but it's true that the squeaky wheel
gets the grease. If you're not going away like many do,
you should get someone to take care of you.

good luck.

T Shadow December 29th 06 10:47 PM

Screwed by Canon Rebate

"Bill" wrote in message
T Shadow wrote:

I used to agree but think it has changed. Recently bought a Ultra HDD
enclosure at CC. Didn't look closely enough at the rebate PDF until

readying
the paperwork. The rebate has to go through an operation called
OnRebate.com. An obvious data mining operation. I refuse to do business

with
an outfit like this and will relinquish the $20 to keep from it. I'll

never
buy a product again with a rebate that goes through something like this.

Onrebate.com is just a different rebate processing company (with
really picky rules about their rebate submissions and a
requirement that you submit it online and then print and mail
the form). Please tell us how you figured out that they are a
data mining operations any more than Parago (rebateshq.com) and
the other rebate processors??? Parago also lets you submit your
forms online.

Interestingly, Ultra seems to have switched to another company
as of December.

Bill

Ever read Websites Privacy Policies?
Know what a web beacon is?
I've used other online operations. This is going way too far IMHO.

The Etobian December 29th 06 11:09 PM

Screwed by Canon Rebate

On 29 Dec 2006 09:56:01 -0800, "-hh"
wrote:

It would appear that their excuse was because they were able to "lose"
your UPC since you didn't physically attach it.

I bought a Canon from a big-box store several years ago. Canon tried
to B.S. their way out of the rebate even though I stapled the UPC to
the form, and scanned what I did. After a year of complaining, I
finally got my $50 rebate. In rersponse to my complaints, they kept
asking for "new" things, like the front page of the printer manual,
"photocopy" of the printer driver CD, etc.

I also had cc.'d the big-box store. The week before I got my check
from Canon, the store offered to pay me $50 in cash, which I got when
I went to the store.

Did I cash the check? Hell, ya. I consider it payment for the time
Canon made me jump through hoops by falsely denying my rebate.

clifto December 30th 06 12:12 AM

Screwed by Canon Rebate

-hh wrote:
John wrote:
There's no other way of phrasing it: CANON RIPPED ME OFF EVEN THOUGH I
FOLLOWED ALL THE RULES.

Actually, it is the Redemption company who is Canon's representative
who is doing the "ripping offing".

It would appear that their excuse was because they were able to "lose"
your UPC since you didn't physically attach it.

I don't have to go back to the OP's article to know that he expressly
said he *always* attaches the UPC to the rebate form with tape.

--
Nazi: a person who is winning an argument with a liberal.

Bill December 30th 06 12:42 AM

Screwed by Canon Rebate

HeyBub wrote:

I got a rebate check sometime back. It came in a nondescript envelope via
"Bulk Mail" (now known as "Standard Mail").

At least it was in an envelope. The last check I got was printed on a
postcard.

As I said in another post, for everyone who complains about it
coming in a non-descript envelope, there will be another person
who complains about it being sent as a postcard. That said, I
don't think I've ever heard of people having problems with
postcard checks being taken. Amongst other things, I suspect it
is federal offense to steal it.

Bill

Barry Watzman December 30th 06 12:42 AM

Screwed by Canon Rebate

Sales taxes are collected on mail-in rebates, they are NOT collected on
"instant rebates".

The rest of your post is conjecture that may be true in some cases and
not true in others. From the customer's perspective, it doesn't matter:
An instant rebate is just a sale price (and sales taxes are NOT paid
on the rebate amount; only the "net" rings on the register and is
charged tax).

M Berger wrote:
You have missed a big part of the picture.

With mail in rebates, the store sales figures aren't
decreased as they would be with the instant reduction.
Localities like it because they get the full sales tax
amount.

In most cases the store doesn't pay the rebate, the parent
company or manufacturer does.

Barry Watzman wrote:
An "instant rebate" isn't a rebate at all, it's just a sale price.
And no doubt that it's better than a mail-in rebate of the same
amount, but you will NEVER find "instant rebates" that are the
equivalent of the larger mail-in rebates. The rebate "system" depends
on the fact that only a minority of buyers will ever apply for the
rebate.

Barry Watzman December 30th 06 12:43 AM

Screwed by Canon Rebate

I totally disagree with your premis (that rebates are generally a scam
(there are some that are, but a small minority)), and as for your
"check", I almost never get an envelope at all, they are almost always
just postcards.

HeyBub wrote:
James wrote:
As has been adequately explained here before, rebates are by their
very nature a scam. There is no logical explanation for a rebate
program other than being a scam.

Here's further proof:

I got a rebate check sometime back. It came in a nondescript envelope via
"Bulk Mail" (now known as "Standard Mail").

I normally toss snail-mail-spam. Probably millions others do too. Evidently
the rebate company tried to take advantage of this social engineering
concept.