PhotoBanter.com

-   Other Photographic Equipment (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Digital camera review on long term test (and torture test) (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=81124)

[email protected] May 20th 07 04:26 PM

Digital camera review on long term test (and torture test)

Could anyone direct me with website that provide long term test on
digital cameras, not just the test when the camera is brand new?
Any difference in performance between the expensive models or
established brand name and their cheaper models?
Thanks for info

Rich May 20th 07 08:08 PM

On May 20, 11:26 am, wrote:
Could anyone direct me with website that provide long term test on
digital cameras, not just the test when the camera is brand new?
Any difference in performance between the expensive models or
established brand name and their cheaper models?
Thanks for info

Pro models actually specify things like shutter life. However, some
(Canon) have had problems in other areas.
Rule of thumb, if it costs more, it will last longer.

Michael J Davis May 24th 07 09:47 AM

Digital camera review on long term test (and torture test)

Rich observed
On May 20, 11:26 am, wrote:
Could anyone direct me with website that provide long term test on
digital cameras, not just the test when the camera is brand new?
Any difference in performance between the expensive models or
established brand name and their cheaper models?
Thanks for info

Pro models actually specify things like shutter life. However, some
(Canon) have had problems in other areas.
Rule of thumb, if it costs more, it will last longer.

umm. ... alternatively if it costs more, it'll cost more to repair!

Mike
--
Michael J Davis

I have a photographic memory;
but then I forget to load the film

ray May 24th 07 04:24 PM

On Sun, 20 May 2007 08:26:02 -0700, aniramca wrote:

Could anyone direct me with website that provide long term test on
digital cameras, not just the test when the camera is brand new?
Any difference in performance between the expensive models or
established brand name and their cheaper models?
Thanks for info

IMHO - you'll get more info from users than from a 'long term test'. I
think the basic thing to remember is that the better care you take of
photographic equipment, the longer it will last. That's true of optics as
well as electronics.

David Dyer-Bennet May 25th 07 08:11 PM

Digital camera review on long term test (and torture test)

RockyZ wrote:
On Thu, 24 May 2007 09:47:07 +0100, Michael J Davis
wrote:

Rich observed
On May 20, 11:26 am, wrote:
Could anyone direct me with website that provide long term test on
digital cameras, not just the test when the camera is brand new?
Any difference in performance between the expensive models or
established brand name and their cheaper models?
Thanks for info
Pro models actually specify things like shutter life. However, some
(Canon) have had problems in other areas.
Rule of thumb, if it costs more, it will last longer.

Yeah right. I guess that's why inexpensive high-end P&S cameras will outlast
DSLRs 30 times over because of all the mechanical linkage that DSLRs need to
operate their mirror-slapping, image-shaking, last-century technology.

Interesting theory. But I'm still shooting an SLR body from 1982 and
one from 1969, whereas two digital P&S have crapped out on the household
(third is going strong).

I expect the mechanics of my D200 to outlast the electronics.