PhotoBanter.com

-   35mm Photo Equipment (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Nikon D200 vs. D80 (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=69953)

W Chan September 11th 06 04:13 PM

Nikon D200 vs. D80

I suppose they are in different class targeting different customers.
However I look at the specs. and find the D80 is really catching up.

I have just sold my D70 to upgrade my gears.

What do you think?

w.

Doug Robbins September 11th 06 06:00 PM

Nikon D200 vs. D80

I think you're another airhead equipment junkie whose more interested in
buying cameras than in making photographs.

joeyk49 via PhotoKB.com September 12th 06 12:56 AM

Nikon D200 vs. D80

D200 v D80............... v Alpha100 ???

i REALLY wanted a D200...then Sony announced the Alpha, which has a CCD that
performs strangely like the Nikon's and works with my Maxxum lenses for 50%
less than the Nikon....

The D80 is just a refreshed D50...

The Alpha fits somewhere in between and outwardly looks to be a terrific buy..
then Canon upped the ante...

Its gonna be an interesting season...

I'm basically a film head... I have a little digi point and shoot but have
resisted buying an slr because of PRICE and mega-puke-cils. But the closer
they get to 16-20 mp and the farther they go under a grand, the more I'm
interested....

Doug Robbins wrote:
I think you're another airhead equipment junkie whose more interested in
buying cameras than in making photographs.

I suppose they are in different class targeting different customers.
However I look at the specs. and find the D80 is really catching up.

[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]

w.

--
Fixer scented Glade...
for those that just can't leave the darkroom...

Paul Furman September 12th 06 02:02 AM

Nikon D200 vs. D80

W Chan wrote:

I suppose they are in different class targeting different customers.
However I look at the specs. and find the D80 is really catching up.

I have just sold my D70 to upgrade my gears.

What do you think?

Hmmm, looking at the specs, the D80 actually lacks the D70's electronic
shutter so only 1/4000 sec (not 1/8000) and flash synch 1/200 sec (not
1/500). And it uses smaller memory cards and is a tiny bit smaller than
a D70.

It does have 2 command dials like a D70, not the one of a D50, and it
has an RGB histogram like the D200. It has the mirror lockup and big
viewfinder and LCD of a D200.

It lacks the D200's manual knobs & buttons for; AF & AE mode,
bracketing, WB, ISO, Quality and Function.

It doesn't meter with old lenses but I think it mounts some the D70
won't and it doesn't have as fast of a burst as a D200

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1

Thomas T. Veldhouse September 12th 06 03:06 PM

Nikon D200 vs. D80

Rita ? Berkowitz ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:

Hmmm, looking at the specs, the D80 actually lacks the D70's
electronic shutter so only 1/4000 sec (not 1/8000) and flash synch
1/200 sec (not 1/500). And it uses smaller memory cards and is a tiny
bit smaller than a D70.

At least the old D70 can be fooled to sync up to 1/4000 and above for flash.
I wonder if this will be the case with the D80?

No, because the D80 has a mechanical shutter.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

W Chan September 12th 06 04:41 PM

Nikon D200 vs. D80

does d200 have a mechanical shutter as well?

: Paul Furman wrote:
:
: Hmmm, looking at the specs, the D80 actually lacks the D70's
: electronic shutter so only 1/4000 sec (not 1/8000) and flash synch
: 1/200 sec (not 1/500). And it uses smaller memory cards and is a tiny
: bit smaller than a D70.
:
: At least the old D70 can be fooled to sync up to 1/4000 and above for
flash.
: I wonder if this will be the case with the D80?
:
:
: No, because the D80 has a mechanical shutter.
:
: --
: Thomas T. Veldhouse
: Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1
:
:

Paul Furman September 12th 06 06:37 PM

Nikon D200 vs. D80

W Chan wrote:

does d200 have a mechanical shutter as well?

D200 gets the high speeds.

: