PhotoBanter.com

-   In The Darkroom (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Best developer for fuji neopan 1600 ? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=716)

Hywel Davies June 30th 04 10:13 PM

Best developer for fuji neopan 1600 ?

Which developers would the wise folks on this newsgroup recommend for neopan
1600? The aim is to minimise grain (at least somewhat). I've tried T-max, at
24C but this was more grainy than expected. I realise it's going to be
fairly grainy anyway.

Thanks

Ros

Donald Qualls July 1st 04 04:08 AM

Hywel Davies wrote:

Which developers would the wise folks on this newsgroup recommend for neopan
1600? The aim is to minimise grain (at least somewhat). I've tried T-max, at
24C but this was more grainy than expected. I realise it's going to be
fairly grainy anyway.

HC-110 or D-76 will likely give less grain than T-Max, without loss of
speed (though you're actually pushing a little to get Neopan 1600 to
1600; it's properly about 800-1000, but designed with low contrast so it
pushes well). If you can tolerate loss of speed and some loss of
acutance, Microdol-X should significantly reduce grain -- but then you
might as well shoot Tri-X or Neopan 400 and develop in conventional
processes. I've seen claims that shortening process time reduces grain,
other factors equal, which would suggest HC-110, possibly even in
Dilution A, would be the likeliest candidate. Dilution A times are
about 70% of Dilution B, in the likely case you can't find them listed
anywhere. The push to 1600 should still give a time around 4+ minutes;
I wouldn't try to go under 4 minutes for tank development because of
problems with consistency and fill/drain times relative to the total dev
time.

--
I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
-- E. J. Fudd, 1954

Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
Lathe Building Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/HomebuiltLathe.htm
Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/my7x12.htm

and don't expect them to be perfect.

Michael Scarpitti July 1st 04 02:13 PM

"Hywel Davies" wrote in message ...
Which developers would the wise folks on this newsgroup recommend for neopan
1600? The aim is to minimise grain (at least somewhat). I've tried T-max, at
24C but this was more grainy than expected. I realise it's going to be
fairly grainy anyway.

Thanks

Ros

I strongly recommend Acutol. Try 1+15 for 7.5 minutes @ 20C/68F. It's
a VERY fine-grained film when developed properly. Expose at about EI
650-800.

Michael Scarpitti July 1st 04 02:16 PM

Best developer for fuji neopan 1600 ?

"Hywel Davies" wrote in message ...
Which developers would the wise folks on this newsgroup recommend for neopan
1600? The aim is to minimise grain (at least somewhat). I've tried T-max, at
24C but this was more grainy than expected. I realise it's going to be
fairly grainy anyway.

Thanks

Ros

I strongly recommend Acutol. Try 1+15 for 7.5 minutes @ 20C/68F. It's
a VERY fine-grained film when developed properly. Expose at about EI
650-800. Here's an example:

http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=1225120

Silvio Bacchetta July 1st 04 03:17 PM

Best developer for fuji neopan 1600 ?

R.Gigi ha scritto:
Hi,
where can I find developing times with rodinal?

Try on digitaltruth. I remember they are very short, about 3.5 minutes
in 1+50 diluition.

--
Registered user at http://counter.li.org # 170453
Jabber JID:

Silvio Bacchetta July 1st 04 06:38 PM

Best developer for fuji neopan 1600 ?

R.Gigi ha scritto:
On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 16:17:30 +0200 (CEST),
(Silvio Bacchetta) wrote:
Try on digitaltruth. I remember they are very short, about 3.5 minutes
in 1+50 diluition.

Isn't too much short?

I was wrong, actually it is 5 minutes at 1+25 or 8 at 1+50. I was
mislead by the time for some other developer.

Donald Qualls July 2nd 04 04:47 AM

R.Gigi wrote:

Hi,
where can I find developing times with rodinal?

Start with:

http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html

wkg July 2nd 04 08:20 PM

Best developer for fuji neopan 1600 ?

Użytkownik "Hywel Davies" napisał w
wiadomości ...
Which developers would the wise folks on this newsgroup recommend for

neopan
1600? The aim is to minimise grain (at least somewhat). I've tried T-max,

at
24C but this was more grainy than expected. I realise it's going to be
fairly grainy anyway.

Thanks

Ros

Hallo !

In my opinion the best is XTOL 1+3 for Neopan 1600@800 ... I use it for
Neopan 1600@1600 also. Times from www.digitaltruth.com

Regards
wkg

Michael Scarpitti July 2nd 04 10:06 PM

Donald Qualls wrote in message news:UU4Fc.11002$%_6.9308@attbi_s01...
R.Gigi wrote:

Hi,
where can I find developing times with rodinal?

Start with:

http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html

--
I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
-- E. J. Fudd, 1954

Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
Lathe Building Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/HomebuiltLathe.htm
Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/my7x12.htm

and don't expect them to be perfect.

It would be difficult to find a developer less suited for Neopan 1600
than Rodinal. Worst possible choice.

Donald Qualls July 3rd 04 03:35 AM

Michael Scarpitti wrote:

It would be difficult to find a developer less suited for Neopan 1600
than Rodinal. Worst possible choice.

Your opinion, of course -- and while it might even be correct (though I
admit, with some subject matter grain doesn't bother me), that wasn't
the question asked. Maybe the original poster wanted to find out if he
*liked* the look? Or see it, to know what kind of subject matter it
might suit? Or perhaps he has some time critical images, and *only* has
Rodinal available in the time frame he's working in, and something with
ugly grain is better than undeveloped film?