PhotoBanter.com

-   In The Darkroom (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   paint mixing, named colors (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=128251)

Dale[_5_] April 19th 15 05:51 AM

paint mixing, named colors

in painting and maybe many-colorant systems, I think a "mathematical"
software mixing program, in coordination with a spectral/color
measurement device might have a market

paints/painting can be expensive

if you had a software, perhaps with a xy/uv chromaticity diagram
locating all the paints, you could mix on the diagram, then calculate
how much of each paint you want to get the color you want, and mix them
too get an estimate before trial and error mixing

you would need a "measurement tube" to dispense the right amount of
paint, might save expensive colorants like some paints

ICC has named colors, don't know if they are spectrum or color based

I don't know if paint companies have named color profiles for their
pant, they might want you to use more paints in the trial and error process

named colors and xy/uv diagrams are probably how mathematical constructs
are generated for many-colorant ink systems beyond CMYK

--
Dale
http://www.dalekelly.org

Davoud April 19th 15 03:26 PM

paint mixing, named colors

Dale:
in painting and maybe many-colorant systems, I think a "mathematical"
software mixing program, in coordination with a spectral/color
measurement device might have a market

I think you're right. My local Sherwin-Williams store has had such a
device for years. Take a color sample to the store and a digital
colorimeter will measure the color and automatically add the correct
pigments to the base white to reproduce your sample color with amazing
precision.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

Dale[_5_] April 19th 15 03:35 PM

paint mixing, named colors

On 04/19/2015 10:26 AM, Davoud wrote:
Dale:
in painting and maybe many-colorant systems, I think a "mathematical"
software mixing program, in coordination with a spectral/color
measurement device might have a market

I think you're right. My local Sherwin-Williams store has had such a
device for years. Take a color sample to the store and a digital
colorimeter will measure the color and automatically add the correct
pigments to the base white to reproduce your sample color with amazing
precision.

forgot about that, they have been doing it for a long time

my thoughts were around expensive fine art paints where you have several
paints that are typical mixed by trial and error or memory of past trial
and error

you could have a software with a chromaticity diagram where you add
paints and mix them oriented to an end user like a fine art painter

--
Dale
http://www.dalekelly.org

Savageduck[_3_] April 19th 15 04:01 PM

paint mixing, named colors

On 2015-04-19 14:35:48 +0000, Dale said:

[...]

Check with Pantone. Perhaps they could come up with something for you.
https://www.pantone.com/pages/pantone/index.aspx

Savageduck

Davoud April 20th 15 12:45 AM

paint mixing, named colors

Dale:
in painting and maybe many-colorant systems, I think a "mathematical"
software mixing program, in coordination with a spectral/color
measurement device might have a market

Davoud:
I think you're right. My local Sherwin-Williams store has had such a
device for years. Take a color sample to the store and a digital
colorimeter will measure the color and automatically add the correct
pigments to the base white to reproduce your sample color with amazing
precision.

Dale:
forgot about that, they have been doing it for a long time

my thoughts were around expensive fine art paints where you have several
paints that are typical mixed by trial and error or memory of past trial
and error

you could have a software with a chromaticity diagram where you add
paints and mix them oriented to an end user like a fine art painter

I suppose, but Rembrandt and DaVinci got along without digital
colorimetry, and so can you.

Mayayana April 20th 15 02:32 AM

paint mixing, named colors

| I think you're right. My local Sherwin-Williams store has had such a
| device for years. Take a color sample to the store and a digital
| colorimeter will measure the color and automatically add the correct
| pigments to the base white to reproduce your sample color with amazing
| precision.
|

| forgot about that, they have been doing it for a long time
| my thoughts were around expensive fine art paints where you have several
| paints that are typical mixed by trial and error or memory of past trial
| and error
|
| you could have a software with a chromaticity diagram where you add
| paints and mix them oriented to an end user like a fine art painter

I buy a fair amount of paint for my work and
have had a lot of computer matches in the past.
My experience is that a computer rarely gets it
right, and even then it's only with off-whites.
I don't try to get a match unless I know the clerk
doing the matching and know that he can/will
tinker with it to get it right. Some things just
don't lend themselves to automation.

isw April 20th 15 06:26 AM

paint mixing, named colors

In article , Dale
wrote:

in painting and maybe many-colorant systems, I think a "mathematical"
software mixing program, in coordination with a spectral/color
measurement device might have a market

paints/painting can be expensive

if you had a software, perhaps with a xy/uv chromaticity diagram
locating all the paints, you could mix on the diagram, then calculate
how much of each paint you want to get the color you want, and mix them
too get an estimate before trial and error mixing

That won't provide enough information. You need to know the *specific*
pigments which were used, and that's nearly (or actually) impossible to
derive from the spectral values. And then, of course, you'd need to have
them on hand ...

Look up "metamerism".

Isaac

Dale[_5_] April 24th 15 07:01 PM

paint mixing, named colors

On 04/20/2015 01:26 AM, isw wrote:
Look up "metamerism".

yes ... you could do mixing from spectral data to avoid metamerism

--
Dale
http://www.dalekelly.org

isw April 25th 15 04:44 AM

paint mixing, named colors

In article , Dale
wrote:

On 04/20/2015 01:26 AM, isw wrote:
Look up "metamerism".

yes ... you could do mixing from spectral data to avoid metamerism

But it would be *really difficult* if you could not identify the
specific colorants from their spectra (impossible?). And, of course,
you'd be unlikely to have every possible item on hand anyhow.

Possible in theory, not very likely in practice.

Isaac

Dale[_5_] April 25th 15 06:16 AM

paint mixing, named colors

On 04/24/2015 11:44 PM, isw wrote:
In article , Dale
wrote:

On 04/20/2015 01:26 AM, isw wrote:
Look up "metamerism".

yes ... you could do mixing from spectral data to avoid metamerism

But it would be *really difficult* if you could not identify the
specific colorants from their spectra (impossible?). And, of course,
you'd be unlikely to have every possible item on hand anyhow.

Possible in theory, not very likely in practice.

Isaac

colorimetry alone would get you to "good enough color", accurate enough
too edit from

--
Dale
http://www.dalekelly.org