PhotoBanter.com

-   35mm Photo Equipment (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Canon EF long lens rental Florida US (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=2181)

Michael C. Smith June 22nd 04 09:01 PM

Canon EF long lens rental Florida US

I'd like to rent a Canon EF long lens to photograph birds at Ding
Darling National Wildlife Refuge, Sanibel Island, Florida, USA (300mm,
400mm, 500mm, or 600mm). I prefer to pick up the lens in Florida
instead of shipping it, as rental fees accumulate during the shipping
period. If you ship the lens overnight, that's at least 2 extra days
of rental (in which case a week-long rental may be more cost
effective).

Does anyone know a shop in southern Florida that rents?

Should no one answer, the following may help someone in the future.

http://www.harmonphoto.com/
Harmon Photo, Ft. Myers, FL doesn't rent

Companies that will rent & ship to your location:

http://www.aperturepro.com/
Aperture Professional, Miami, Florida. Miami is 3.5 hours (per Yahoo)
from from Sanibel.

http://www.carouselstudios.com
Carousel Studios, Miami, FL.

http://www.samyscamerarental.com
Samy's Camera, Los Angeles, California CA.

http://www.adorama.com
Adorama, New York, NY.

http://www.acecam.com/rmcindex.html#Rental
ACECamera manufacturer & rental links; Doug Clifford.

Thanks.
--
...Mike Smith . Silver Spring, Maryland, USA

Bill Hilton June 22nd 04 09:40 PM

Canon EF long lens rental Florida US

From: (Michael C. Smith)

I'd like to rent a Canon EF long lens to photograph birds at Ding
Darling National Wildlife Refuge, Sanibel Island, Florida, USA (300mm,
400mm, 500mm, or 600mm).

Does anyone know a shop in southern Florida that rents?

This list is now four years old so maybe things have changed, but worth a phone
call. One of the companies mentioned is in Miami, but maybe no better than the
ones you already mentioned.

http://www.birdsasart.com/b31.html

Michael C. Smith June 23rd 04 03:39 AM

Canon EF long lens rental Florida US

dy (Bill Hilton) wrote in message ...
From:
(Michael C. Smith)

I'd like to rent a Canon EF long lens to photograph birds at Ding
Darling National Wildlife Refuge, Sanibel Island, Florida, USA (300mm,
400mm, 500mm, or 600mm).

Does anyone know a shop in southern Florida that rents?

This list is now four years old so maybe things have changed, but worth a phone
call. One of the companies mentioned is in Miami, but maybe no better than the
ones you already mentioned.

http://www.birdsasart.com/b31.html

Good find, Bill, thanks!

Out of curiosity (and a wish to be search engine savvy), how did you
mine this nugget?

...Mike Smith . Silver Spring, Maryland, USA

Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark) June 23rd 04 03:56 AM

Michael C. Smith wrote:
I'd like to rent a Canon EF long lens to photograph birds at Ding
Darling National Wildlife Refuge, Sanibel Island, Florida, USA (300mm,
400mm, 500mm, or 600mm). I prefer to pick up the lens in Florida
instead of shipping it, as rental fees accumulate during the shipping
period. If you ship the lens overnight, that's at least 2 extra days
of rental (in which case a week-long rental may be more cost
effective).

What is a typical rental charge for, say, a 500mm lens?
I assume you would want insurance too.

If it is as high I think it is, and considering how wonderful
a big lens is, might iot not be better to take out a
loan and just get one? How many days rental before
you've paid enough to buy it?

On a separate note, if you never been to Ding Darling, be
aware that opportunities are hit or miss. I've been to it
a fair number of times the last couple of years and
many hours, even a full day can go by with not much.
But if it is slow at Ding, there are other wonderful
places to go too.

Roger

Bill Hilton June 23rd 04 04:32 AM

From: (Michael C. Smith)

Good find, Bill, thanks!

Out of curiosity (and a wish to be search engine savvy), how did you
mine this nugget?

I bought Arthur's book on bird photography a few years back and took a workshop
with him once. I'm on his mailing list and remembered this particular Bulletin
about rentals, by chance.

Since you're going to Ding for birds you might enjoy getting his Bulletins
direct, it's free and there are usually some good tips and pics in them.

When are you going to Ding? I've shot there in Dec, Feb, March and April and
wonder if it's very good much later than that (like, now)? You might also try
Corkscrew Swamp if it's overcast and you have fill flash or Venice Rookery for
great close-up egret and heron shots in the winter and spring ... Roger C
(other responder to your post) has a lot of excellent shots from Venice on his
site.

Good luck.

Bill

Michael C. Smith June 24th 04 04:45 PM

Canon EF long lens rental Florida US

dy (Bill Hilton) wrote in message ...
I'm on his mailing list and remembered this particular Bulletin
about rentals, by chance. ..

Bill, I'm glad you've got a good memory! I subscribed to the
newsletter.

When are you going to Ding? I've shot there in Dec, Feb, March and April and
wonder if it's very good much later than that (like, now)? ..

Bill

I'm in Sanibel now (19-26 June 2004). Birds aren't abundant but I see
something after shooting sunrises and sunsets. I've seen a few
roseate spoonbill, heron, cormorant, white ibis, brown pelican, and
hawk. With the limited range of my 70-200/2.8, I have to be close to
fill the frame. I'm practicing before renting or investing in a long
lens.

I found this USGS page on 1993 seasonal abundance:

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/othrdata/chekbird/r4/dingdarl.htm
Bird Checklists of the United States
J. N. "Ding" Darling National Wildlife Refuge

Thanks again for the help, Bill.
--
...Mike Smith . Silver Spring, Maryland, USA

Michael C. Smith June 24th 04 05:01 PM

"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" wrote in message ...
Michael C. Smith wrote:
I'd like to rent a Canon EF long lens to photograph birds at Ding
Darling National Wildlife Refuge, Sanibel Island, Florida, USA (300mm,
400mm, 500mm, or 600mm). I prefer to pick up the lens in Florida
instead of shipping it, as rental fees accumulate during the shipping
period. If you ship the lens overnight, that's at least 2 extra days
of rental (in which case a week-long rental may be more cost
effective).

What is a typical rental charge for, say, a 500mm lens?
I assume you would want insurance too.

Aperture Pro's (Miami) largest lens, a 400/2.8 L, rents for $125
daily, $500 weekly, and a $7,500 deposit. Adorama is $100 daily, $300
weekly, and $6,500.00 new. Adorama rents a 600mm/f4 (call for price).
Insurance isn't listed; thanks for the reminder.

If it is as high I think it is, and considering how wonderful
a big lens is, might iot not be better to take out a
loan and just get one? ..

SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed). Need I say more? ;) I hope to get
one some day. The Canon 400mm f/4 DO is intriguing , only 4.3
lb/1,940g, light enough for hand holding.
http://www.adorama.com/CA4004ISU.html?searchinfo=canon%2040mm%20do&item_n o=5

Is 400mm too short for birding? I can afford (monetarily and
politically) only one long lens.

On a separate note, if you never been to Ding Darling, be
aware that opportunities are hit or miss. I've been to it
a fair number of times the last couple of years and
many hours, even a full day can go by with not much.
But if it is slow at Ding, there are other wonderful
places to go too.

Roger

Thanks for you suggestions, Roger. Great images & info on your site!

Michael C. Smith June 24th 04 05:09 PM

Canon EF long lens rental Florida US

W wrote in message ...
It is hit or miss at Ding Darling, what time of year are you going. I
also went to Merritt Island near Canaveral and had good luck. I brought
my 500mm this last trip in May and had better luck at Merritt Island.
Ding darling is better in early April. I found that most of the birds
are not fearful, you can get close, and I had good results with my
100-400mm zoom.

I don't know of any place that rents down there though.

Walter

Hi Walter,

Thanks for the Merritt Island suggestion.

Each lens has advantages (focal length vs. weight) but if you could
only have one additional lens for birding, would you want the
100-400mm or 500mm? (I have a 70-200mm/f2.8.)
--

Michael C. Smith wrote:
[...]

Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark) June 25th 04 04:58 AM

Michael C. Smith wrote:

Aperture Pro's (Miami) largest lens, a 400/2.8 L, rents for $125
daily, $500 weekly, and a $7,500 deposit. Adorama is $100 daily, $300
weekly, and $6,500.00 new. Adorama rents a 600mm/f4 (call for price).
Insurance isn't listed; thanks for the reminder.

Hmmm. That's better than I expected. That's a big deposit though!

Is 400mm too short for birding? I can afford (monetarily and
politically) only one long lens.

It depends on location. In many places yes, others no.
For example, look on my site and see the focal lengths used.
http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries/gallery.bird
I also shoot with a second body and either a 300 f/4 or
100-400 f/5.6. But have few bird photos on the site
are with the shorter focal lengths (maybe one or two).
The images are about 40% 500mm + 1.4x TC, 55% 500mm straight,
and 5% other (lower FL and 500mm+1,4x+2x). So I use the 500
most of the time. While I've taken many images with
other lenses, the 500mm ones always seem better.

You might consider also the 300 f/2.8
as you can add a 2x and get 600 f/5.6. Or, as an intermediate
the 300 f/4 and you can add a 1.4x and get 420mm f/5.6 (cheapest
solution to get started).
Also check out used lenses.

Keep in mind that hand holding a 400mm f/4 lens may be possible,
but only for a short time, and you'll quickly become unsteady.
Try adding a weight to your longest lens to make it weigh
what it would with a 400mm f/4 and see how long you can hold
it up. I often wait many minutes pointing at one bird hoping
for some particular action. I can't imagine hand holding that
long.

Also, with any big lens be prepared to add the cost of tripod
and head to hold the lens. If you go 500mm you need something
like a good carbon fiber (or much heavier aluminum tripod).
I found the qitzo 1325/1328 the minimum for the 500 f/4.
I had a gitzo 3021, but it wasn't quite up to the task.
Then a good head able to carry the weight. A wimberly
really helps follow action with a big lens (if you rent,
you will still need all this too). The gitzo +
wimberly plus plates will run somewhere around $1200-1500.
(I know, its discouraging...I just went through this the last
couple of years). Large format lkandscape is cheap in comparison!

Thanks for you suggestions, Roger. Great images & info on your site!

Thanks,
Roger

Michael C. Smith June 25th 04 12:23 PM

Canon EF long lens rental Florida US

"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" wrote in message ...
..

These are great lens and tripod ideas, Roger! Thank you for your time.

Cheers,

...Mike Smith . Silver Spring, Maryland, USA