PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Calumet files Chapter 7 (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=127115)

Usenet Account March 13th 14 05:31 PM

Calumet files Chapter 7

http://petapixel.com/2014/03/13/calu...s-zero-notice/

--
Men make their own history, but they do not make it as they please; they
do not make it under self-selected circumstances, but under
circumstances existing already, given and transmitted from the past.

nospam March 13th 14 05:37 PM

Calumet files Chapter 7

In article , Usenet Account
wrote:

http://petapixel.com/2014/03/13/calu...tcy-gave-emplo
yees-zero-notice/

no surprise there.

Scott Schuckert March 13th 14 06:56 PM

Calumet files Chapter 7

In article , Usenet Account
wrote:

http://petapixel.com/2014/03/13/calu...tcy-gave-emplo
yees-zero-notice/

The negative comments about the company following the linked
article. Sad for everyone involved, but it's not uncommon. Publicly
talking about a possible closing guarantees you'll go over the edge; I
can only assume the owners (perhaps foolishly, but optimistically) held
out hope to the end.

If anyone remembers the Camera Craft chain in NY/NJ in the middle 70's,
that's what happened there. I was a store manager at the time, and
wound up being chased out the door by the sheriff, who chained it shut.

A couple of the managers who got wind of it the day before, basically
brought vans and stole the stores empty. Far as I know, it was never
even noticed.

nospam March 13th 14 07:01 PM

Calumet files Chapter 7

In article , Scott Schuckert
wrote:

The negative comments about the company following the linked
article. Sad for everyone involved, but it's not uncommon. Publicly
talking about a possible closing guarantees you'll go over the edge; I
can only assume the owners (perhaps foolishly, but optimistically) held
out hope to the end.

there will always be negative comments when a store closes and people
lose their jobs. however, anyone that didn't see it coming is blind.

PeterN[_4_] March 13th 14 07:38 PM

Calumet files Chapter 7

On 3/13/2014 1:56 PM, Scott Schuckert wrote:
In article , Usenet Account
wrote:

http://petapixel.com/2014/03/13/calu...tcy-gave-emplo
yees-zero-notice/

The negative comments about the company following the linked
article. Sad for everyone involved, but it's not uncommon. Publicly
talking about a possible closing guarantees you'll go over the edge; I
can only assume the owners (perhaps foolishly, but optimistically) held
out hope to the end.

If anyone remembers the Camera Craft chain in NY/NJ in the middle 70's,
that's what happened there. I was a store manager at the time, and
wound up being chased out the door by the sheriff, who chained it shut.

A couple of the managers who got wind of it the day before, basically
brought vans and stole the stores empty. Far as I know, it was never
even noticed.

You hit the nail on the head. There is no way a company in poor
financial condition would let the public know, unless it was forced to.
Suppliers would stop extending terms; the good employees would look
elsewhere; and customer attitudes would change. I was litigating a case
in Bankruptcy Court and ran into the owner of a local restaurant. The
man was grateful when I told him that I never saw him. Later in the week
we had a fight. I told him that I would never eat in his place again if
he didn't let me pay for my food. I did let him buy me a drink.

--
PeterN

PeterN[_4_] March 13th 14 07:45 PM

Calumet files Chapter 7

On 3/13/2014 2:01 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Scott Schuckert
wrote:

The negative comments about the company following the linked
article. Sad for everyone involved, but it's not uncommon. Publicly
talking about a possible closing guarantees you'll go over the edge; I
can only assume the owners (perhaps foolishly, but optimistically) held
out hope to the end.

there will always be negative comments when a store closes and people
lose their jobs. however, anyone that didn't see it coming is blind.

Did you make a published prediction?

--
PeterN

PAS March 14th 14 01:54 PM

Calumet files Chapter 7

wrote:

[...]

The classic camera store is a thing of the past for most folks. We have two
within a short walking distance of each other that we can go to: Cameta
Camera and Berger Bros. I do like Cameta a lot and bought my first camera
from them about 30 years ago. I'm not a fan of Berger Bros. Fortunately,
Cameta is doing so well as an eBay business that they'll be around for quite
a long time.

Savageduck[_3_] March 14th 14 03:12 PM

Calumet files Chapter 7

wrote:

[...]

One of our last local bricks & mortar camera stores in San Luis Obispo,
Jim's Campus Cameras had to close its doors last March.
http://jimscamera.com

Savageduck

nospam March 14th 14 04:07 PM

Calumet files Chapter 7

In article , PAS
wrote:

The classic camera store is a thing of the past for most folks.

exactly why it's no surprise calumet closed. those that claim to be
surprised are blind to what's happening. certainly the workers there
must have noticed there weren't very many customers anymore.

it's rare that a camera store can offer services to where they can stay
in business.

We have two
within a short walking distance of each other that we can go to: Cameta
Camera and Berger Bros. I do like Cameta a lot and bought my first camera
from them about 30 years ago. I'm not a fan of Berger Bros. Fortunately,
Cameta is doing so well as an eBay business that they'll be around for quite
a long time.

they might close their store and be just an online seller.

PAS March 14th 14 04:29 PM

Calumet files Chapter 7

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , PAS
wrote:

[...]

They certainly can. If the store closed down, Bill Cameta will still do
very, very well with his eBay business. He does a lot of business in used
gear also. If it ever closes, I'll miss the place.