PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Nikon 3700 or Canon A75 (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=7394)

Christopher Muto July 26th 04 11:39 PM

Nikon 3700 or Canon A75

i think that the canon is a better product... and that your pricing is not
accurate...
the nikon 3700 is at bhphotovideo for $399.95 less $100 rebate for a final
cost of $299.95.
the canon a75 is at bhphotovideo for $219.95 and not rebate nonsense.
so, even after the rebate, the nikon is over 35% more costly than the canon.
the a75 uses regular 'aa' alkaline batteries so you will not be far from a
fresh set if in a pinch. of course you can also use lithium or nimh type
batteries in it (comes with alkaline). the canon has a much better user
interface with menus that are more intuitive. the autofocus assist on the
canon is superior. the canon comes with better software. the canon comes
with a 32mb compact flash card and compact flash cards are relatively cheap
to the secure digital cards that the nikon uses (despite that fact that sd
cards have recently dropped in price). the nikon comes with a 16mb secure
digital memory card. 256mb sd/cf are about $65/45 respectively. the nikon
is smaller, but the canon feels better in your hand because of its grip.
read the reviews at http://www.steves-digicams.com/ and decide for yourself,
but i say go with the canon.

"James Cloud" wrote in message
om...
Hello, I am choosing a 3mp camera and these two are being considered.
Nikon has a $100 mail-in rebated which dropped the 3700 to below the
A75 price. Seems to me the 3700 is a slightly superior camera than
A75, with a smaller body and the use of the lithium ion battery. What
do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

James

Steve July 27th 04 05:24 AM

Nikon 3700 or Canon A75

James Cloud wrote:
Hello, I am choosing a 3mp camera and these two are being considered.
Nikon has a $100 mail-in rebated which dropped the 3700 to below the
A75 price. Seems to me the 3700 is a slightly superior camera than
A75, with a smaller body and the use of the lithium ion battery. What
do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

James

James:

The A series Canons are notorious for poor manufacturing quality control and
a high failure/return rate. Read the various internet forums and you will
see repeat reference to this. I personally know of several people (myself
being one of them) that had defective or failed A series Canons. I replaced
mine with a Nikon Coolpix 3100.

If you like to do macro photography, the Nikon lens will be a lot better
than that on the Canon.

Good luck,

Steve

octopus July 27th 04 06:59 PM

Nikon 3700 or Canon A75

(James Cloud) wrote in message . com...
Hello, I am choosing a 3mp camera and these two are being considered.
Nikon has a $100 mail-in rebated which dropped the 3700 to below the
A75 price. Seems to me the 3700 is a slightly superior camera than
A75, with a smaller body and the use of the lithium ion battery. What
do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

James

Best Buy offers the Canon A80 for $249.- (I saw it in one shop - in
another shop it was still $298.- and I had to tell them that I saw the
other price before they matched it). This is a 4MP camera with a
vari-angle LCD screen and it has a bigger sensor than the A75.
You can find some good information on the A80 at:
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/onlinesharing/A80/review/

Markus

Terence July 27th 04 09:01 PM

Nikon 3700 or Canon A75

(James Cloud) wrote in message . com...
[snip]

Thanks for the replies.

Chris, the 3700 is only 264 from comp-u-plus, with $100 off, it's
$164. Compu-u-plus is a reputable place -- I've bought from them
before.

Agreed A75 is more intuitive in controls.

I failed to understand why AA batteries are superior to Lithium Ion.
True, you can get AA anywhere, but the Li-Ion battery can last couple
of hundreds shots.

James

I'm not familiar with the 3700 (just popped over to the Fuji site to
check the specs), but I do have an A75 so my opinion is probably
skewed towards the Canon.

The A75 has much more robust set of manual controls than the Fuji -
it's something I specifically looked for when I was shopping around
for a digicam. This might not be as important to you, but having the
option to manually set the F-ratio, shutter speed, focus, ISO, etc...
was something I wanted in a camera.

I found the 9-point autofocus in the Canon to be unreliable, so I
simply turned off that feature and use the single/centre point focus.

Other than wishing for a high model Canon digicam (which I would get
if I had the money), I'm pretty happy with my A75.

Jaspinator July 28th 04 03:46 PM

Nikon 3700 or Canon A75

"Arty Phacting" wrote in message
is the A80 much the same?

Arty

"Sceptre" wrote in message
om...
(octopus) wrote in message

om...
[...]

Hey,

Don't get the A75. For more information, read my post at

http://forums.powershot-a.com/showth... threadid=8933
where A75 users on CANON'S WEBSITE are complaining that the Auto mode
uses bad apertures and focusing when taking pictures. The result is
that the pictures are out of focus, and tons of purple fringing with
auto mode setting apertures at 2.8 most of the time.

Hi there just my 2p worth, but having used the A75 (and its little brother
the a60) its a pretty fantastic camera for the price, and if you read
through the forum mentioned above many of the posters there seem to like it
too and do not notice those problems