PhotoBanter.com

-   Film & Labs (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Velvia 50 (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=82475)

Toni Nikkanen June 20th 07 10:39 PM

Velvia 50

So Velvia 50 hasn't been manufactured for a while due to a required
component being unavailable. And most, if not all, stores have run out
of it in 135 format. However it seems it's still fairly available at
120 format - is this just because 120 format film stock moves slower
or is this version still actually being manufactured? I bought some
rolls last month without noticing the 135 format version was gone -
and now when doing eBay searches, there's a lot of it in 120 format
with reasonable prices, and smaller amounts in 135 format with a
relatively high going price.

ftran999 June 21st 07 12:21 AM

Velvia 50

"Toni Nikkanen" wrote in message

So Velvia 50 hasn't been manufactured for a while due to a required
component being unavailable. And most, if not all, stores have run out
of it in 135 format. However it seems it's still fairly available at
120 format - is this just because 120 format film stock moves slower
or is this version still actually being manufactured? I bought some
rolls last month without noticing the 135 format version was gone -
and now when doing eBay searches, there's a lot of it in 120 format
with reasonable prices, and smaller amounts in 135 format with a
relatively high going price.
--

I don't know if your aware, but Fuji is introducing a newer version of
Velvia 50. Probably the best place to check for more info would be

Toni Nikkanen June 21st 07 08:31 AM

Velvia 50

"ftran999" writes:

I don't know if your aware, but Fuji is introducing a newer version of
Velvia 50. Probably the best place to check for more info would be
apug.org.

I know they are going to introduce a newer Velvia 50 but am not aware
they have done so just yet.. I'll go and check apug.org. (and place an
order for the old stuff in 120 format so I'll at least have it in that
format).

Rod Smith June 21st 07 03:57 PM

Velvia 50

In article ,
Toni Nikkanen writes:

"ftran999" writes:

I don't know if your aware, but Fuji is introducing a newer version of
Velvia 50. Probably the best place to check for more info would be
apug.org.

I know they are going to introduce a newer Velvia 50 but am not aware
they have done so just yet.. I'll go and check apug.org.

Check this thread:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/...ikes-back.html

Apparently the new product is being shipped out in sample quantities and
should be in stores within a month or two, at least in the US (I'm not
sure of European availability). Fuji might send you some samples if you
ask for them.

--
Rod Smith,
http://www.rodsbooks.com

Toni Nikkanen June 25th 07 06:10 PM

Velvia 50

I contacted Fuji Finland and they told me Velvia 50 is coming back
between July and August for 135 format and in the beginning of
September for 120 format. Too late for my summer vacation pics,
but I'll manage ;)

Toni Nikkanen July 24th 07 10:04 AM

Velvia 50

Toni Nikkanen writes:

I contacted Fuji Finland and they told me Velvia 50 is coming back
between July and August for 135 format and in the beginning of
September for 120 format. Too late for my summer vacation pics,
but I'll manage ;)

....and it seems the new Velvia 50 is priced higher than the old one
was, about the same price as the new Velvia 100. Oh well, I'll manage
somehow. I only shoot it during the summer, which is short in Finland
anyway ;)

jeremy July 24th 07 10:31 PM

Velvia 50

Toni Nikkanen writes:

I contacted Fuji Finland and they told me Velvia 50 is coming back
between July and August for 135 format and in the beginning of
September for 120 format. Too late for my summer vacation pics,
but I'll manage ;)

...and it seems the new Velvia 50 is priced higher than the old one
was, about the same price as the new Velvia 100. Oh well, I'll manage
somehow. I only shoot it during the summer, which is short in Finland
anyway ;)

Ken Rockwell has already received his initial supply, in both 120 and 35mm,
and he says on his web site that it is every bit identical to the original
emulsion. The difference seems to be in the base, not the emulsion.

He has some comparison images: when you click the link, scroll down to see
the images:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm

Toni Nikkanen July 25th 07 09:07 AM

Velvia 50

"jeremy" writes:

Ken Rockwell has already received his initial supply, in both 120 and 35mm,
and he says on his web site that it is every bit identical to the original
emulsion. The difference seems to be in the base, not the emulsion.

Well that's a relief, I am sure. I actually liked the old base, it was
nice and rigid. Dunno about the new one until I get to try some. It's
not that important, anyway, the way it looks is the thing :)

Did anyone else notice the original Velvia had a tendency to NOT
gather dust as much as other films? Or am I just crazy?

No Name July 26th 07 04:49 AM

Velvia 50

In article ,
Toni Nikkanen wrote:

...and it seems the new Velvia 50 is priced higher than the old one
was,

Just be happy that you can get it at all.