PhotoBanter.com

-   -   For Anyone Using the New Google Photo APP (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=128419)

Bob[_25_] June 11th 15 09:15 PM

For Anyone Using the New Google Photo APP

Hello,

Will blame my ignorance on my Sr. Citizen status now.

Trying to use that new Google Photos APP.
It's the one where they provide free unlimited cloud storage for photos
and videos. You upload them to their site.

Works, but incredibly slow uploading from my Desktop PC to them.

Have a bunch of questions I want to Post to their Google Photos
community forums, but just cannot find any screen, or Button to do so on
their Help page.

If someone could show me how, in great detail (assume you are dealing
with a complete idiot), I would be most appreciative.

Thanks,
Bob

0

android June 11th 15 09:30 PM

For Anyone Using the New Google Photo APP

In article , Bob
wrote:

Hello,

Will blame my ignorance on my Sr. Citizen status now.

Trying to use that new Google Photos APP.
It's the one where they provide free unlimited cloud storage for photos
and videos. You upload them to their site.

Works, but incredibly slow uploading from my Desktop PC to them.

Have a bunch of questions I want to Post to their Google Photos
community forums, but just cannot find any screen, or Button to do so on
their Help page.

If someone could show me how, in great detail (assume you are dealing
with a complete idiot), I would be most appreciative.

I just wanna share that I wouldn't know since I'm not cool enough to get
invites to all their awesome stuff. YMMW...
--
teleportation kills

Me June 11th 15 09:47 PM

For Anyone Using the New Google Photo APP

On 12/06/2015 8:30 a.m., android wrote:
In article , Bob
wrote:

Hello,

Will blame my ignorance on my Sr. Citizen status now.

Trying to use that new Google Photos APP.
It's the one where they provide free unlimited cloud storage for photos
and videos. You upload them to their site.

Works, but incredibly slow uploading from my Desktop PC to them.

Have a bunch of questions I want to Post to their Google Photos
community forums, but just cannot find any screen, or Button to do so on
their Help page.

If someone could show me how, in great detail (assume you are dealing
with a complete idiot), I would be most appreciative.

I just wanna share that I wouldn't know since I'm not cool enough to get
invites to all their awesome stuff. YMMW...

Do you need an "invite"?
Perhaps I was automatically invited as I'd been a Panoramio contributor
for 7 years or so. It just worked for me logging in via Google+.

Anyway, I uploaded a couple of test images. Set on "unlimited HQ" a
31.5MB jpeg took about 25 seconds to upload on my ~40/10 VDSL
connection. So that would have been maxing out my upload connection -
the service is not necessarily slow at their end. With a typical ADSL
connection, the image would have taken several minutes to upload.
Next thing is whether there's any point uploading large HQ images:
Downloading the image I'd uploaded, it had been resized from 7630x4192
to 4896x3268, compressed to 2.5MB.
So my conclusion, despite "unlimited" and "high quality" settings, it's
perhaps a useful photo-sharing app. What it is not is secure cloud
storage for backup.

android June 11th 15 09:59 PM

For Anyone Using the New Google Photo APP

wrote:

[...]

That's one those awesome features that I'm not cool enough for... ;-p

Anyway, I uploaded a couple of test images. Set on "unlimited HQ" a
31.5MB jpeg took about 25 seconds to upload on my ~40/10 VDSL
connection. So that would have been maxing out my upload connection -
the service is not necessarily slow at their end. With a typical ADSL
connection, the image would have taken several minutes to upload.
Next thing is whether there's any point uploading large HQ images:
Downloading the image I'd uploaded, it had been resized from 7630x4192
to 4896x3268, compressed to 2.5MB.
So my conclusion, despite "unlimited" and "high quality" settings, it's
perhaps a useful photo-sharing app. What it is not is secure cloud
storage for backup.

Now Bob knows!
--
teleportation kills