PhotoBanter.com

-   -   P&S's day has come and gone (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=99861)

[email protected] July 26th 08 01:17 PM

P&S's day has come and gone

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 21:42:28 -0400, "Richard" wrote:

The other day I picked up a Nikon D100 and a Sigma 70-300mm zoom for $200.00
used in near mint condition. I've seen Olympus and Pentax DSLRs going for
as low as $175.00 as "open box" (store demos). Why would I even consider
(barring the extreme need for portability) a P&S?

Have you ever visited an active volcano during an eruption?

I this April just past (Rabaul in new Guinea). My weapon of choice was my trusty old Canon S2 IS.

A DSLR does not last long there.

PeteD[_2_] July 27th 08 08:38 AM

P&S's day has come and gone

wrote:

The other day I picked up a Nikon D100 and a Sigma 70-300mm zoom for
$200.00
used in near mint condition. I've seen Olympus and Pentax DSLRs going
for
as low as $175.00 as "open box" (store demos). Why would I even consider
(barring the extreme need for portability) a P&S?

Have you ever visited an active volcano during an eruption?

I this April just past (Rabaul in new Guinea). My weapon of choice was my
trusty old Canon S2 IS.

A DSLR does not last long there.

And why the freaking hell would a S2 IS last longer than one of my D-SLRs
that is complely sealed? If I was to visit someting like that I would most
certainly take my best camera with one lens and get more and better shots
than any P&S.

Yoshi[_2_] July 27th 08 02:32 PM

P&S's day has come and gone

"PeteD" wrote in message

And why the freaking hell would a S2 IS last longer than one of my D-SLRs
that is complely sealed? If I was to visit someting like that I would most
certainly take my best camera with one lens and get more and better shots
than any P&S.

No doubt your DSLRs will last forever... you are too busy being an ASSHOLE
on usenet to ever make photographs.

Ron Hunter July 27th 08 06:58 PM

P&S's day has come and gone

wrote:

The other day I picked up a Nikon D100 and a Sigma 70-300mm zoom for
$200.00
used in near mint condition. I've seen Olympus and Pentax DSLRs
going for
as low as $175.00 as "open box" (store demos). Why would I even
consider
(barring the extreme need for portability) a P&S?

Have you ever visited an active volcano during an eruption?

I this April just past (Rabaul in new Guinea). My weapon of choice was
my trusty old Canon S2 IS.

A DSLR does not last long there.

And why the freaking hell would a S2 IS last longer than one of my
D-SLRs that is complely sealed? If I was to visit someting like that I
would most certainly take my best camera with one lens and get more and
better shots than any P&S.

Maybe, maybe not. It isn't the camera, but the person behind the camera
that makes a good, or bad picture.

Pete D July 27th 08 09:34 PM

P&S's day has come and gone

"Yoshi" wrote in message

"PeteD" wrote in message

And why the freaking hell would a S2 IS last longer than one of my D-SLRs
that is complely sealed? If I was to visit someting like that I would
most certainly take my best camera with one lens and get more and better
shots than any P&S.

No doubt your DSLRs will last forever... you are too busy being an ASSHOLE
on usenet to ever make photographs.

So all the posts I have made here lately are not photographs?

Pete D July 27th 08 09:37 PM

P&S's day has come and gone

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

And if your camera takes a second to take a shot and mine takes90
milliseconds I expect you will be disappointed.

James Silverton[_2_] July 27th 08 10:49 PM

P&S's day has come and gone

Pete wrote on Mon, 28 Jul 2008 06:37:01 +1000:

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
PeteD wrote:

wrote in message

Maybe, maybe not. It isn't the camera, but the person behind
the camera that makes a good, or bad picture.

And if your camera takes a second to take a shot and mine takes90 ms I
expect you will be disappointed.

There are some of us who can appreciate artistic photography without
being able to produce it ourselves, except perhaps after the event with
a photoeditor. We plebs want to take sharp, clear pictures quickly, on
the spur of the moment without carrying a studio around with us. What's
wrong with that?

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Ron Hunter July 28th 08 01:17 AM

P&S's day has come and gone

Pete D wrote:
"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
wrote:

[...]

Why should I be disappointed about my camera taking a few milliseconds
longer to take a picture? I am old, but not so old the difference
between 1/10 of a second, and 1 second to take a picture is going to
seriously concern me.

Pete D July 28th 08 07:28 AM

P&S's day has come and gone

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
PeteD wrote:

wrote in message

Maybe, maybe not. It isn't the camera, but the person behind
the camera that makes a good, or bad picture.

And if your camera takes a second to take a shot and mine takes90 ms I
expect you will be disappointed.

There are some of us who can appreciate artistic photography without being
able to produce it ourselves, except perhaps after the event with a
photoeditor. We plebs want to take sharp, clear pictures quickly, on the
spur of the moment without carrying a studio around with us. What's wrong
with that?

The point I am making is that my little D-SLR (Pentax DS) is small light and
has no delay taking shots, with even a "good" you will miss the shot or can
only take still life shots.

Pete D July 28th 08 07:28 AM

P&S's day has come and gone

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
Pete D wrote:
"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
wrote:

[...]

You're kidding right? How many shots do you take when the subject has moved?