PhotoBanter.com

-   -   DRM for JPEGS? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=128855)

android October 18th 15 06:09 PM

DRM for JPEGS?

It just might be in the pipeline. I hate then people steal the work of
others that might have taken days to produce just to be cool on FB for a
few minutes. Bring it on!

Via Petapixel:

http://tinyurl.com/qe4nq75

http://petapixel.com/2015/10/14/drm-...jpeg-image-for
mat/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaig n=Feed%3A+PetaPixel
+%28PetaPixel%29Z
--
teleportation kills

Mayayana October 18th 15 07:51 PM

DRM for JPEGS?

| http://petapixel.com/2015/10/14/drm-...jpeg-image-for
| mat/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaig n=Feed%3A+PetaPixel
| +%28PetaPixel%29Z

Just this is the link:

http://petapixel.com/2015/10/14/drm-...-image-format/

I saw that news the other day somewhere. Maybe
Slashdot. It's got me curious. I haven't seen any
mention of how it would be done. Options I can
think of:

1) Mark in the header. Useless for protecting the
image, but easy to do.

2) Encryption of image. Who or what decrypts?
Presumably one would need special software to
go online, or read an embedded license, in order
to decrypt the image for viewing. Then how would
a screenshot or copying of the image bytes in
memory be prevented?

3) Online database. Perhaps based on a unique
string of bytes in the image. Again it would
require conforming software. But JPG is an open
format. Like PDFs, there's nothing but encryption
that can prevent the image being accessed if
software doesn't go along with the restriction
scheme.

It would be interesting to know more if anyone
has details.

android October 18th 15 08:05 PM

DRM for JPEGS?

In article ,
"Mayayana" wrote:

| http://petapixel.com/2015/10/14/drm-...jpeg-image-for
| mat/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaig n=Feed%3A+PetaPixel
| +%28PetaPixel%29Z

Just this is the link:

If that the link above works quite fine. Otherwise...

http://tinyurl.com/qe4nq75

http://petapixel.com/2015/10/14/drm-...-image-format/

I saw that news the other day somewhere. Maybe
Slashdot. It's got me curious. I haven't seen any
mention of how it would be done.

With electronics, that's how its done...
--
teleportation kills