PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Download software (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=75729)

Ockham's Razor January 14th 07 11:15 PM

Download software

I am frustrated with the Nikon software for downloading from my camera
to the computer. The SW from Canon for my wife's P&S works great and I
can put the shots anywhere in our picture management files.

I have tried to use the Canon software via a card reader but it is not
recognized.

Graphic Convertor works but is slow as it seems to download all the
pictures first then gives you the option of which to keep and which to
discard.

Using Mac G-5 with OS X.3.9.

TIA

carrying a cross."
Sinclair Lewis

Roy G January 14th 07 11:28 PM

Download software

"Ockham's Razor" wrote in message
I am frustrated with the Nikon software for downloading from my camera
to the computer. The SW from Canon for my wife's P&S works great and I
can put the shots anywhere in our picture management files.

I have tried to use the Canon software via a card reader but it is not
recognized.

Graphic Convertor works but is slow as it seems to download all the
pictures first then gives you the option of which to keep and which to
discard.

Using Mac G-5 with OS X.3.9.

TIA

carrying a cross."
Sinclair Lewis

If you don't bother with the Nikon SW, you can just copy, or drag, the files
from the Camera to any folder you choose.

We have Canon, Fuji and Nikon cameras, but none of their SW is on the
machine.

It is all just a pain in the Tits.

Roy G

John McWilliams January 15th 07 02:00 AM

Download software

Roy G wrote:
"Ockham's Razor" wrote in message
I am frustrated with the Nikon software for downloading from my camera
to the computer. The SW from Canon for my wife's P&S works great and I
can put the shots anywhere in our picture management files.

I have tried to use the Canon software via a card reader but it is not
recognized.

Graphic Convertor works but is slow as it seems to download all the
pictures first then gives you the option of which to keep and which to
discard.

Using Mac G-5 with OS X.3.9.

Try Image Capture, right there in your Apps folder. You can choose to
d/l all, or selected images.

If you don't bother with the Nikon SW, you can just copy, or drag, the files
from the Camera to any folder you choose.

We have Canon, Fuji and Nikon cameras, but none of their SW is on the
machine.

It is all just a pain in the Tits.

For even more fun, use Adobe Lightroom to download, Mac or Windows. You
can set all kinds of import features from EXIF into, keywords, tone
curves, renaming.

--
John McWilliams

tomm42 January 15th 07 02:36 PM

Download software

On Jan 14, 6:15 pm, Ockham's Razor wrote:
I am frustrated with the Nikon software for downloading from my camera
to the computer. The SW from Canon for my wife's P&S works great and I
can put the shots anywhere in our picture management files.

I have tried to use the Canon software via a card reader but it is not
recognized.

Graphic Convertor works but is slow as it seems to download all the
pictures first then gives you the option of which to keep and which to
discard.

Using Mac G-5 with OS X.3.9.

TIA

Just use a card reader, create a folder drag and drop. Firewire card
readers are much faster than cameras for downloading. You can use Adobe
Photoshop Elements, with Bridge or Lightroom to work with the images. I
just ignore the camera software, both Nikon and Canon is very clunky.

Tom

Dave Cohen January 15th 07 10:36 PM

Download software

Ockham's Razor wrote:
I am frustrated with the Nikon software for downloading from my camera
to the computer. The SW from Canon for my wife's P&S works great and I
can put the shots anywhere in our picture management files.

I have tried to use the Canon software via a card reader but it is not
recognized.

Graphic Convertor works but is slow as it seems to download all the
pictures first then gives you the option of which to keep and which to
discard.

Using Mac G-5 with OS X.3.9.

TIA

I'm surprised you like the canon software, most don't and I haven't even
loaded it on my current build. However, as I recall, zoombrowser will
read from a card reader so give it another try, that is unless they've
been so cruel as to only recognize a card that has the canon stuff on
it, but I find that hard to believe.
There's lots of good free stuff out there for organizing photos. Some
like picassa. Personally, I just use windows explorer with suitable
directory structure.
Dave Cohen

J. F. Cornwall January 15th 07 10:57 PM

Download software

Dave Cohen wrote:
Ockham's Razor wrote:

[...]

No, I just used Zoombrowser this morning to download some shots from my
K100d's SD card (in a reader), no problems at all.

Jim

Ockham's Razor January 16th 07 12:14 AM

Download software

In article ,
"J. F. Cornwall" wrote:

No, I just used Zoombrowser this morning to download some shots from my
K100d's SD card (in a reader), no problems at all.

Will not read a Nikon formated SD card in a card reader.

carrying a cross."
Sinclair Lewis

Roy G January 16th 07 04:37 PM

Download software

"J. F. Cornwall" wrote:

No, I just used Zoombrowser this morning to download some shots from my
K100d's SD card (in a reader), no problems at all.

Will not read a Nikon formated SD card in a card reader.

--

Simple solution = Don't use Canon, or Nikon, or anyone else's crappy
software to download.

Just copy, or drag, to Hdd.

Roy G

John McWilliams January 16th 07 06:00 PM

Download software

"J. F. Cornwall" wrote:

No, I just used Zoombrowser this morning to download some shots from my
K100d's SD card (in a reader), no problems at all.

Will not read a Nikon formated SD card in a card reader.

Simple solution = Don't use Canon, or Nikon, or anyone else's crappy
software to download.

Just copy, or drag, to Hdd.

'Ceptin' onna Mac, using the Image Capture app has some advantages, one
being that if there are multiple folders, it puts all of the pix into
one, and it lets you download partials easily, etc.

For even more flexibility, I use Lightroom now to manage my off-card
imports. It'll divide up the contents by days, very useful in some
circumstances.

--
john mcwilliams

C J Campbell January 16th 07 06:54 PM

Download software

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 15:15:57 -0800, Ockham's Razor wrote
(in article ):

Using Mac G-5 with OS X.3.9.

Good heavens, man. Use iPhoto. And update your software once in awhile.