PhotoBanter.com

-   -   lens test digitl factor (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=6551)

Dane Brickman July 17th 04 05:04 AM

lens test digitl factor

I searched all over the internet and I'm sure the answer is there, but I
can't seem to find a consensus...
I've got a 24mm, a 50mm and an 180mm that I want to test with my Edmund
Chart that I use with my film gear.

They call for the focal length of the lens in the calculations... In
digital, would that be the 35mm fc, or the fc with the digital factor (in
this case, 1.5).

thanks.

Canongirly July 17th 04 05:53 AM

lens test digitl factor

"Dane Brickman" wrote in message
I searched all over the internet and I'm sure the answer is there, but I
can't seem to find a consensus...
I've got a 24mm, a 50mm and an 180mm that I want to test with my Edmund
Chart that I use with my film gear.

They call for the focal length of the lens in the calculations... In
digital, would that be the 35mm fc, or the fc with the digital factor (in
this case, 1.5).

thanks.

I'd have thought it would be the digital fc as you're shooting the chart on
a digital with the mag factor. Unless you're body has a full frame sensor in
it.

Charles July 17th 04 06:03 AM

lens test digitl factor

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 00:04:09 -0400, "Dane Brickman"
wrote:

I searched all over the internet and I'm sure the answer is there, but I
can't seem to find a consensus...
I've got a 24mm, a 50mm and an 180mm that I want to test with my Edmund
Chart that I use with my film gear.

They call for the focal length of the lens in the calculations... In
digital, would that be the 35mm fc, or the fc with the digital factor (in
this case, 1.5).

thanks.

It depends on want you want to prove.

the focal length of the lens didn't change.

The resulting picture would be similar to one taken with a lens with a
focal length of 1.5 times the rated focal length displayed on the lens
in question.

do you want to find out how your lens performs, or how it compares to
some other lens used with a 35 mm camera? Or maybe a 4X5 camera.

Lots of answers out there, have to ask the right question.

--

- Charles
-

Alan D-W July 17th 04 05:28 PM

lens test digitl factor

"Canongirly" wrote in message

I'd have thought it would be the digital fc as you're shooting the chart

on
a digital with the mag factor. Unless you're body has a full frame sensor

in

It's not a mag factor, you are misleading the OP. It's a crop factor. No
magnification is happening.