PhotoBanter.com

-   General Photography Techniques (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Photographing glass (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=4112)

Jan Werbiński May 4th 04 06:41 PM

Photographing glass

Hi
How to photograph flat glass and small glass tech. elements in studio? Work
is for web and publication.

It's not, that I don't know. I just looking for new ideas and techniques. I
get this job after client was dissapointed with other photographers work.

Time to get that covered in dust projecting spot?
Glass is giving so many possibilites. So much fun. :-)

--
Jan Werbiński O0oo....._[:]) bul, bul, bul
Prywatna http://www.janwer.com/

Phil Stripling May 4th 04 08:03 PM

Photographing glass

"Jan Werbiński" writes:

Hi
How to photograph flat glass and small glass tech. elements in studio? Work
is for web and publication.

Two suggestions: (1) flat black, nonreflective background and base; light
the glass only. (2) translucent background and base; light through the
background and base, but not the glass.

This Guy Here May 4th 04 09:37 PM

Photographing glass

One lights & photographs glass differently from pretty much any other
subject. It's a fun challenge. Some advice:

=== Make sure the glass is spotless!

=== For clear or light colored glass, don't light the glass at all;
instead, light the background with a bright light & put the glass
object between the background & the camera. That's how you get those
images of glass objects where the glass looks like a dark ink drawing.
Consider not lighting the background evenly -- a bright spot that
darkens around the edges can be very dramatic; an evenly lit
background would be good for a minimalist image (and perhaps best if
you are trying to do catalog type images).

=== If the glass is clear, consider B&W images.

=== For opaque glass, use soft boxes. Experiment with placement --
you will probably get the best results by placing the soft boxes off
to the sides of the glass object (or even a little behind the glass
object.

=== Composition will be important. Take your time & get it right.

Good luck.

looknsee
http://www.looknseephoto.com