PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Lens problem with Pentax K100D (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=81703)

cyrusthevirus June 1st 07 08:20 PM

Lens problem with Pentax K100D

Last week I bought a K100D, mainly because I have some nice
Pentax lenses from my previous film cameras, both K and 42×1.
Today, while testing a non-automatic 50 mm (Pentax-M), I
noticed it is used only at full aperture.
Is there a way to use it "stop-down" or something similar? I
don't care to use it in totally manual mode or to have a
darker image in the viewfinder.
The manual, even if very detailed, is not very useful.

Thanks in advance

Cyrus (the 42×1 virus)

John Bean June 1st 07 08:56 PM

Lens problem with Pentax K100D

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 21:20:49 +0200, cyrusthevirus
wrote:

Is there a way to use it "stop-down" or something similar?

Use "M" mode, set aperture on lens, press and release AE/L
button to automatically stop down lens to meter and set
shutter speed. Press shutter to take picture ;-)

--
John Bean

cyrusthevirus June 2nd 07 01:29 AM

Lens problem with Pentax K100D

Il 01/06/2007 21:56, John Bean dixit:
wrote:

Is there a way to use it "stop-down" or something similar?

Use "M" mode, set aperture on lens, press and release AE/L
button to automatically stop down lens to meter and set
shutter speed. Press shutter to take picture ;-)

Thanks a lot for your hint, John!
As future memory (so I can google if I forget it) and as
reference for other K100D users here it is the whole
procedure I found:
0) set the preview method (Menu - Custom Setting) on "optical"
1) shut down the camera
2) change the lens
3) set focal length for shake reduction
4) set the camera on M (manual exposure)
5) press and release AE-L
6) turn the ON/OFF button clockwise on the 3rd sign (preview
position) to meter: it stop down the lens and it is possible
to see in the display the "difference from the appropriate
exposure" (manual, p. 145)
7) turn the e-dial to adjust the shutter speed
8) turn the old aperture ring on the lens to adjust the aperture
9) cheese :-)

Just to demonstrate it works, I uploaded a "screens hot" of
this reply on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/funadium/525599309/

Thanks again.
Cyrus

John Bean June 2nd 07 10:13 AM

Lens problem with Pentax K100D

wrote:

[...]

You don't need to use 6 and 7 if you set aperture (8) first,
then press AEL (5), which meters and sets shutter speed
automatically. You can of course use 6 and 7 if you want to
meter manually, in which case pressing AEL in step 5 is
completely unneccesary.

You're making it all sound a lot more complicated than it
is, but whatever works for you ;-)

--
John Bean

cyrusthevirus June 2nd 07 10:38 AM

Lens problem with Pentax K100D

Il 02/06/2007 11:13, John Bean dixit:

wrote:

[...]

I'm quite old-fashioned (¹)...
I noticed the procedure can be simplified, but it was almost
late when I wrote the message.
Today I'll make some tests with my old 42×1 macro bellow.

Thanks again
Cyrus

(¹) the day someone will make a cell phone with a rotary
dial I'll buy it ;-)

Brian Reynolds June 22nd 07 09:59 PM

Lens problem with Pentax K100D

In article , cyrusthevirus wrote:

I'm quite old-fashioned (¹)...

[snip]

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=286

--
Brian Reynolds | "But in the new approach, as you know,
| the important thing is to understand
http://www.panix.com/~reynolds/ | what you're doing rather than to get
NAR# 54438 | the right answer." -- Tom Lehrer