PhotoBanter.com

-   35mm Photo Equipment (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Interesting Leica product announcements today ... (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=123094)

Wolfgang Weisselberg May 11th 12 12:37 PM

Interesting Leica product announcements today ...

Bruce wrote:

1. Leica M Monochrom, with 18 MP black and white full frame sensor. No
need for a Bayer pattern, no AA filter, no interpolation. Low noise
up to ISO 10,000.

Niche product, needs filters on the lens (instead of being able
to do that in post) which negates the high ISO partially or fully.

I wish them luck. There should be more dedicated monochrome
cameras.

No AA filter also means that the:

2. Leica Summicron 50mm f/2 ASPH. The first 50mm Summicron with an
aspherical element. The previous (pre-ASPH) model was one of the
sharpest lenses ever made. This one will be even better.

won't be a good match outside controlled situations where aliasing
can be detected before the situation has ended.

-Wolfgang

nospam May 12th 12 05:17 AM

Interesting Leica product announcements today ...

In article , Mxsmanic
wrote:

Niche product, needs filters on the lens (instead of being able
to do that in post) which negates the high ISO partially or fully.

What filters are needed on the lens?

usual ones for b/w are red or yellow, but also polarizer and others.

Me May 12th 12 12:03 PM

Interesting Leica product announcements today ...

On 12/05/2012 4:17 p.m., nospam wrote:
In , Mxsmanic
wrote:

Niche product, needs filters on the lens (instead of being able
to do that in post) which negates the high ISO partially or fully.

What filters are needed on the lens?

usual ones for b/w are red or yellow, but also polarizer and others.

Most of the time you'd need to use colour filters on B&W
(outdoors/daylight), you're probably not going to want or need to use
above base ISO, so that's probably not a significant disadvantage.
The Leica M9 sensor however was hardly state of the art for quantum
efficiency or read noise, so I wouldn't be surprised if the mono version
was not as good in any way (including resolution) as current FX canon
and nikon "colour" cameras at high ISO, simply converted to B&W, with
filter effects done in PP.

nospam May 12th 12 04:04 PM

wrote:

usual ones for b/w are red or yellow, but also polarizer and others.

Why? I never use filters for black and white, and the results are just fine.

typically to darken the sky. other filters can affect foliage, skin,
and other parts of the subject.

Doug McDonald[_6_] May 12th 12 10:19 PM

On 5/11/2012 8:43 PM, Mxsmanic wrote:
Wolfgang Weisselberg writes:

Niche product, needs filters on the lens (instead of being able
to do that in post) which negates the high ISO partially or fully.

What filters are needed on the lens?

The same ones as for B&W film!

Red ones for very dark sky, for example.

Doug McDonald

PeterN May 13th 12 03:13 AM

On 5/12/2012 6:55 AM, Mxsmanic wrote:
nospam writes:

usual ones for b/w are red or yellow, but also polarizer and others.

Why? I never use filters for black and white, and the results are just fine.

If you are happy with the results, then keep doing what you are doing.
Please understand that some of us believe the portion of Goethe's
philosophy that man should never stop striving.

--
Peter

nospam May 13th 12 08:39 PM

wrote:

typically to darken the sky. other filters can affect foliage, skin,
and other parts of the subject.

For special purposes, one can filter.

that's the whole point. for some situations, filters are very useful.
nobody is advocating using the filters all the time.

But unfiltered B&Q usually looks just
fine if the spectral response of the sensor is not too different from that of
human vision. The main difference between silicon and a retina is that silicon
has much more extensive IR sensitivity.

different issue.

nospam May 13th 12 08:39 PM

Interesting Leica product announcements today ...

In article , Mxsmanic
wrote:

The same ones as for B&W film!

I never saw a reason to use filters for B&W film.

others do.

Red ones for very dark sky, for example.

The real sky isn't very dark, however.

so what? and in some cases, it can be.

David Dyer-Bennet May 14th 12 04:31 PM

Mxsmanic writes:

Wolfgang Weisselberg writes:

Niche product, needs filters on the lens (instead of being able
to do that in post) which negates the high ISO partially or fully.

What filters are needed on the lens?

Color-rendering filters; like the typical yellow-orange-red used to
darken skies for example. I've stopped carrying those because I always
capture a color image, and if I'm making a B&W print I can get those
effects in post from the color data. But the Monochrome M doesn't
capture the color data, so....
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

David Dyer-Bennet May 14th 12 04:32 PM

Mxsmanic writes:

nospam writes:

usual ones for b/w are red or yellow, but also polarizer and others.

Why? I never use filters for black and white, and the results are just fine.

You're weird :-).

Seriously, using filters to control B&W tonal rendering is *extremely*
common among people doing B&W landscape photography, and other kinds for
that matter. Ansel Adams was famous for pushing the skies to really
dramatic low levels with a red filter.