PhotoBanter.com

-   General Photography Techniques (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Available Light Photography (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=3957)

George October 24th 03 01:44 AM

Available Light Photography

I'm looking for a critique of the following photo:

How does that picture look to you? I took this during our "Light up
Cincinnati" event. Exposure was 30 seconds @ f/11, Fuji Reala. The
picture is unedited, however I plan on editing out the truck on the
bottom left corner. Any composition changes you would make? Any
adjustments? I'm always looking to improve my skills; after 13 years
I'm still learning.

Thanks in advanced.

Francis A. Miniter October 24th 03 01:58 AM

Available Light Photography

I would simply crop it above the roof line of the truck. That would
also make it appear more "panoramic".

Francis A. Miniter

George October 24th 03 04:12 AM

Available Light Photography

I was thinking the same thing, or editing the truck out. Editing
would take some considerable amount of time. I remember seeing that
truck before shooting and wishing it wasn't there. But it was 40
degrees that night and I wanted to get back to my car, so composed the
best I could and took the shot.

Phil Stripling October 24th 03 04:34 AM

George writes:

I'm looking for a critique of the following photo:

It's a gorgeous picture. My nit to pick is that 30 seconds was a few
seconds too long. I'd like to see the one at 20 seconds.

Justin F. Knotzke October 24th 03 10:41 AM

Available Light Photography

quote who= George /:
I was thinking the same thing, or editing the truck out. Editing
would take some considerable amount of time. I remember seeing that
truck before shooting and wishing it wasn't there. But it was 40
degrees that night and I wanted to get back to my car, so composed the
best I could and took the shot.

If you crop it out, you'd lose the glare from the water on the right which
I think is a nice effect. Editing it out is big work but I think for this
shot, it's worth it.

Good Work.

Justin F. Knotzke

http://www.shampoo.ca
"Let's go first class... the whole bag." - P.E.T

Joe October 24th 03 02:39 PM

On 10/23/2003 08:44 PM, George said:
I'm looking for a critique of the following photo:

How does that picture look to you? I took this during our "Light up
Cincinnati" event. Exposure was 30 seconds @ f/11, Fuji Reala. The
picture is unedited, however I plan on editing out the truck on the
bottom left corner. Any composition changes you would make? Any
adjustments? I'm always looking to improve my skills; after 13 years
I'm still learning.

Thanks in advanced.

I like the picture, but my first impression is that something doesn't look
quite right. I think the sky is too light, and takes away from the night
time feeling. In my photo editing software, I did an edit curves, made the
darks darker, but kept the ligher values as is, and I thought it looked much
improved.

In the foreground, I think it would be better if the steamboat wasn't cut off
on the right edge. Maybe if you stood more to the right, to get the entire
boat, and still got some of the bridge on the left.

--
Joe
http://www.joekaz.net/

Mark Hanson October 24th 03 05:13 PM

"George" wrote in message
I'm looking for a critique of the following photo:

It's a beautiful photo. My only nit would be that it seems overexposed to my
tastes -- everything is *too* bright. An exposure of 15-20 seconds may have
produced similar results, but without the light bleeding you have here.

Mark

-Rob October 26th 03 05:52 PM

Available Light Photography

I'd keep the truck, I like it.