PhotoBanter.com

-   Film & Labs (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Cleaning surface of photographs (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=1486)

Chris Wilkins December 3rd 03 08:15 PM

Cleaning surface of photographs

Whats the best way to clean the surface of glossy (and matte)
photographs.

I have some I have printed myself (B&W) that have a few fingerprints I
would like to remove. I did try using a tissue but found that it made
some scatches on it.

Also I have some old B&W Skylab photos from the 70's that have a few
dirt marks on them. Again what the best way to clean them?

BTW. I think I remember hearing sometime ago on TV that you can use
Silver polish. Have I got that right?

Chris...

Michael A. Covington December 4th 03 01:33 AM

Cleaning surface of photographs

"Chris Wilkins" wrote in message
m...
Whats the best way to clean the surface of glossy (and matte)
photographs.

I have some I have printed myself (B&W) that have a few fingerprints I
would like to remove. I did try using a tissue but found that it made
some scatches on it.

Also I have some old B&W Skylab photos from the 70's that have a few
dirt marks on them. Again what the best way to clean them?

BTW. I think I remember hearing sometime ago on TV that you can use
Silver polish. Have I got that right?

I would use film cleaner.

Dan Wenz December 4th 03 03:10 AM

Cleaning surface of photographs

Michael A. Covington wrote:

I would use film cleaner.

I just received my (first) bottle of PEC-12 today with PEC pads, haven't
used them yet. I tried to buy then from B&H, but they wouldn't ship
them, since they said they'd have to be shipped Via UPS or similar, and
they chose not to go that route. Others, including Adorama, where I
bought mine, seemed to have no problem with shipping them via 3 day
ground, UPS in their case.

otzi December 18th 03 05:00 AM

"Dan Wenz" wrote in message
Michael A. Covington wrote:

I would use film cleaner.

I just received my (first) bottle of PEC-12 today with PEC pads, haven't
used them yet. I tried to buy then from B&H, but they wouldn't ship
them, since they said they'd have to be shipped Via UPS or similar, and
they chose not to go that route. Others, including Adorama, where I
bought mine, seemed to have no problem with shipping them via 3 day
ground, UPS in their case.

We have here a 3M product called film and photo cleaner. Aerosol. Got from
big time office supplies. It works just fine. I know little of any long
term degradation but as the stuff evaporates quickly I would reckon it OK.
At a push I've used it on a marked lens with apparently safe results.