PhotoBanter.com

-   Photographing Nature (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Flying with checked in camera gear (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=4411)

Bill Hilton February 18th 04 06:13 PM

Flying with checked in camera gear

After 9/11 the TSA asked that checked luggage be left unlocked so they could
inspect it, which meant the contents were more vulnerable to theft. I always
locked my cases carrying tripods, heads and other such gear anyway and have
never had a lock cut, but I'm still happy to learn the TSA has approved a new
class of lock which they can open if need be.

See here for details ...
http://www.thetravelinsider.info/roa...earchalert.htm ... or if
anyone has the official TSA site with info on these please post it.

Bill

RSD99 February 18th 04 07:51 PM

Flying with checked in camera gear

Some measure of progress ... but just how long do you think it will take for those
"Special TSA Keys" to be available on the black market?

I bet you can already get one if you know where to look ...

Nicholas O. Lindan February 18th 04 08:47 PM

Flying with checked in camera gear

"RSD99" wrote

Some measure of progress ... but just how long do you think it will take for those
"Special TSA Keys" to be available on the black market?

I bet you can already get one if you know where to look ...

ebay?

Seriously - if one has a lock then making the key for it is
not so hard - cut the lock open, measure the tumblers
and file a blank to fit.

It seems these come in user key/master key versions, so you
get a blank free with each lock.

OTOH: all Samsonite luggage uses the same key...

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio

RSD99 February 19th 04 11:15 AM

Flying with checked in camera gear

No ... not eBay or "file a blank to fit."

I mean the actual ... Government-Issue ... "TSA :Master Keys."

I'm willing to bet that they will be available ... to the "crooks" ... through their
normal black-market channels no later than the end of this month (if not already).

link.net...

PSsquare February 19th 04 08:27 PM

Flying with checked in camera gear

I'm willing to bet that they will be available ... to the "crooks" ...

through their
normal black-market channels no later than the end of this month (if not

already).

Just a thought. Since the crooks will need access to the baggage handling
areaa, it doesn't seem like that would be looking very far to get access to
the special keys. Eh?

PSsquare

Bill Hilton February 19th 04 09:04 PM

Flying with checked in camera gear

From: "RSD99"

just how long do you think it will take for those
"Special TSA Keys" to be available on the black market?

My guess is that crooks already have access to master keys for most luggage.
Big deal.

Right now you have two choices when flying with expensive gear, either not
locking it at all or locking it and hoping the TSA screeners don't see
something suspicious on the xray and cut off the locks. A thief with a master
key can still open it but it's supposedly much harder to access luggage now
that the TSA guys are behind the curtains too.

Now you have a third option, a lock that the TSA can open if need be. Sounds
like progress to me ... I've always locked mine with padlocks and even with
carbon fiber tripods or aluminum ball heads or accessory flash battery packs
like the Turbo-Z mine has not been opened by TSA but I can see where these
special locks might buy you peace of mind.

Bill

RSD99 February 19th 04 11:20 PM

Flying with checked in camera gear

And a fourth option:

FedEx ... hold at the FedEx depot at the destination airport. It's been used *often* by
some of the traveling pros I've met over the years.

jgjg February 22nd 04 04:54 AM

Flying with checked in camera gear

I did hear now that the TSA and FAA will allow photographers to bring an
extra carry on on the plane with them now. SO now you can bring one carry
on, one personal, and a photo bag. So maybe you can fit more on with you.

Also on the locks... I travel 90% of the time for my nonphotography job and
have never had a problem. I do not lock anything now but I also don't check
anything that I can't live without.

And one last thought.. Locks only keep honest people honest. It they want it
they will find a way to get it..

Bill Hilton February 22nd 04 05:18 AM

Flying with checked in camera gear

From: "jgjg"

I did hear now that the TSA and FAA will allow photographers to bring an
extra carry on on the plane with them now. SO now you can bring one carry
on, one personal, and a photo bag.

I think only ONE airline is actually honoring this, unfortunately. The others
are sticking with the one carry-on, one personal rule.

Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark) February 22nd 04 06:10 AM

From: "jgjg"

I did hear now that the TSA and FAA will allow photographers to bring an
extra carry on on the plane with them now. SO now you can bring one carry
on, one personal, and a photo bag.

I think only ONE airline is actually honoring this, unfortunately. The others
are sticking with the one carry-on, one personal rule.

I asked United if they honored the new guideline and was told
yes by an agent. But I haven't tested it. I could find no
statement on their website. I assume it will depend
on how much you push the limit. If you have a big photo backpack,
a big wheely suitcase and a big laptop bag I wonder if you could
get on.

Roger