PhotoBanter.com

-   -   End of the road for Aperture? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=127473)

Savageduck[_3_] June 28th 14 01:09 AM

End of the road for Aperture?

It seems that Apple is making some changes to its Pro image editing app
philosophy. They are shelving plans for further development of
Aperture. Apparently sometime next year they will release a a new Photo
App for OSX, iPhoto will be replaced. This might be a rumor at this
stage as I haven't seen anything official from Apple.

When iOS 7 is updated to iOS 8 in September some of the elements of the
new Photo App and Cloud storage will be found there.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2014/06/2...t-of-aperture/

As far as I know, Jonas is the only shooter here using Aperture.

Savageduck

Eric Stevens June 28th 14 04:28 AM

End of the road for Aperture?

On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 17:09:48 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

It seems that Apple is making some changes to its Pro image editing app
philosophy. They are shelving plans for further development of
Aperture. Apparently sometime next year they will release a a new Photo
App for OSX, iPhoto will be replaced. This might be a rumor at this
stage as I haven't seen anything official from Apple.

See
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06...t s_arrivals/
or http://tinyurl.com/m8oqptc

When iOS 7 is updated to iOS 8 in September some of the elements of the
new Photo App and Cloud storage will be found there.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2014/06/2...t-of-aperture/

As far as I know, Jonas is the only shooter here using Aperture.

Eric Stevens

Savageduck[_3_] June 28th 14 04:57 AM

End of the road for Aperture?

wrote:

It seems that Apple is making some changes to its Pro image editing app
philosophy. They are shelving plans for further development of
Aperture. Apparently sometime next year they will release a a new Photo
App for OSX, iPhoto will be replaced. This might be a rumor at this
stage as I haven't seen anything official from Apple.

See
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06...t s_arrivals/

or

http://tinyurl.com/m8oqptc

That seems to confirm the rumors.
Personally, I never became a fan of the Apple iPhoto/Aperture library
system and stayed in the Adobe camp.

Alan Browne June 28th 14 02:03 PM

End of the road for Aperture?

On 2014.06.27, 20:09 , Savageduck wrote:
It seems that Apple is making some changes to its Pro image editing app
philosophy. They are shelving plans for further development of Aperture.
Apparently sometime next year they will release a a new Photo App for
OSX, iPhoto will be replaced. This might be a rumor at this stage as I
haven't seen anything official from Apple.

When iOS 7 is updated to iOS 8 in September some of the elements of the
new Photo App and Cloud storage will be found there.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2014/06/2...t-of-aperture/

As far as I know, Jonas is the only shooter here using Aperture.

I tried Aperture during v.1 of it and was not impressed at all (esp. at
the time as it managed the photo library out of site in a database -
something I cannot tolerate at all - v2 fixed that if you wanted to work
direct).

OTOH, having Bridge / CS3, 5 more than makes up for any and all things
that Aperture had.

Whatever Apple comes up with on the photo side, I would expect:

- it will continue the cross-product (iOS - OS X) integration that
has accelerated under Mavericks and Yosemite while continuing Apple's
more recent strong push to their cloud[1].
- it will do amazing things...
- in unspecified ways (eg: "obfuscated processing" (aka "magic"))
- the user will have less control (appeal to the masses)
- the RDF will promote the "magic"

And so it will not be a professional or serious amateur product in the
Photoshop sense; but it will provide for very fast cross platform
exchange and presentation.

Adobe's reign of terror for high end editing will continue. All bow down.

[1] this whole 'cloud' thing is hilarious. We were doing cloud
computing back in the CompuServe days and everything since has been
variations on clouds. The other thing of course is there is no singular
"cloud" there are many clouds that companies are proffering and scheming
to get you locked into their particular bit of cumulus.

--
I was born a 1%er - I'm just more equal than the rest.

Savageduck[_3_] June 28th 14 03:36 PM

End of the road for Aperture?

On 2014-06-28 13:03:17 +0000, Alan Browne
said:

[...]

....and you will be able to produce and share all sorts of Instagram
type images.

Adobe's reign of terror for high end editing will continue. All bow down.

It isn't that terrible.
The $9.99/month deal is pretty good and a lot better than being on the
old upgrade treadmill. Now that was the reign of terror.
http://www.adobe.com/news-room/pressreleases/201406/061814AdobeCCPhotoPlan.html

Alan Browne June 28th 14 05:22 PM

End of the road for Aperture?

On 2014-06-28 13:03:17 +0000, Alan Browne
said:

[...]

I deliberately left that out ...

Adobe's reign of terror for high end editing will continue. All bow
down.

It isn't that terrible.
The $9.99/month deal is pretty good and a lot better than being on the
old upgrade treadmill. Now that was the reign of terror.
http://www.adobe.com/news-room/pressreleases/201406/061814AdobeCCPhotoPlan.html

I take issue with renting s/w by calendar time and not by work done. If
I used it 5 days a week an hour/day or more that would be something else.

--
I was born a 1%er - I'm just more equal than the rest.

Sandman June 28th 14 08:33 PM

End of the road for Aperture?

In article 2014062717094870571-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck wrote:

It seems that Apple is making some changes to its Pro image editing
app philosophy. They are shelving plans for further development of
Aperture. Apparently sometime next year they will release a a new
Photo App for OSX, iPhoto will be replaced. This might be a rumor at
this stage as I haven't seen anything official from Apple.

When iOS 7 is updated to iOS 8 in September some of the elements of
the new Photo App and Cloud storage will be found there.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2014/06/2...t-of-aperture/

As far as I know, Jonas is the only shooter here using Aperture.

Yeah, I'm really bummed out about this. Because I really don't like
Lightroom.

--
Sandman[.net]

nospam June 28th 14 09:11 PM

End of the road for Aperture?

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

It seems that Apple is making some changes to its Pro image editing app
philosophy. They are shelving plans for further development of
Aperture. Apparently sometime next year they will release a a new Photo
App for OSX, iPhoto will be replaced. This might be a rumor at this
stage as I haven't seen anything official from Apple.

See

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06...ture_adobe_anx
iously_awaits_arrivals/
or http://tinyurl.com/m8oqptc

more link bait.

aperture was *not* abruptly axed.

it's been obvious for years that it's been dead.

PeterN[_4_] June 29th 14 02:30 AM

End of the road for Aperture?

On 6/28/2014 12:22 PM, Alan Browne wrote:

snip

I take issue with renting s/w by calendar time and not by work done. If
I used it 5 days a week an hour/day or more that would be something else.

I am not exactly thrilled with the shoe rental concept either.
Having said that, if software must be rented for non-commercial use, I
would prefer a time rental over a use concept. I think that a use
concept would have a tendency to stifle creative experiments. While at a
quick glance a use concept for commercial use, if coupled with a time
concept for non-commercial use, could easily create enforcement issues,
that would probably be more of a distraction for Adobe, than it would be
worth.

--
PeterN

PeterN[_4_] June 29th 14 02:56 AM

End of the road for Aperture?

On 6/28/2014 9:30 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 6/28/2014 12:22 PM, Alan Browne wrote:

snip

I take issue with renting s/w by calendar time and not by work done. If
I used it 5 days a week an hour/day or more that would be something else.

I am not exactly thrilled with the shoe rental concept either.
Having said that, if software must be rented for non-commercial use, I
would prefer a time rental over a use concept. I think that a use
concept would have a tendency to stifle creative experiments. While at a
quick glance a use concept for commercial use, if coupled with a time
concept for non-commercial use, could easily create enforcement issues,
that would probably be more of a distraction for Adobe, than it would be
worth.

That should have read SW rental, not shoe rental.

--
PeterN