PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Please, tell me Zeiss's offering to the camera world won't be areskinned SONY!! (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=131704)

Neil[_9_] August 25th 18 10:01 PM

Please, tell me Zeiss's offering to the camera world won't be areskinned SONY!!

On 8/25/2018 3:01 AM, RichA wrote:
Didn't they learn anything from Hasselblad? Leica's done ok with Panasonic though.

https://petapixel.com/2018/08/24/zei...ns-full-frame/

Those are rather curious perspectives, RichA. If the Leica/Panasonic
relationship is "ok", why would a Zeiss/Sony relationship be _not_ ok? I
don't think the MF scenario is comprable, due mainly to high prices and
the lack of 6x6 sensor backs, making "MF full frame" a different format,
where the competition becomes Leica on the high-end and Pentax and Fuji
for the rest.

--
best regards,

Neil

Neil[_9_] August 27th 18 01:00 PM

On 8/26/2018 10:38 PM, RichA wrote:
On Sunday, 26 August 2018 17:13:34 UTC-4, RichA wrote:
On Saturday, 25 August 2018 17:01:09 UTC-4, Neil wrote:
On 8/25/2018 3:01 AM, RichA wrote:
Didn't they learn anything from Hasselblad? Leica's done ok with Panasonic though.

https://petapixel.com/2018/08/24/zei...ns-full-frame/

Those are rather curious perspectives, RichA. If the Leica/Panasonic
relationship is "ok", why would a Zeiss/Sony relationship be _not_ ok? I
don't think the MF scenario is comprable, due mainly to high prices and
the lack of 6x6 sensor backs, making "MF full frame" a different format,
where the competition becomes Leica on the high-end and Pentax and Fuji
for the rest.

--
best regards,

Neil

So what if they release a Sony A7III reskinned as a "Zeiss" it costs 50-100% more and offers no tangible improvements?

To add:
At least if it's actually a Zeiss camera (and I have no idea why a cutting-edge electro-optics company like Zeiss can't make one) no one can complain about its price.

The re-badging model you're describing is a very old one. People
determine value based on that which is important to them, so if the name
is what they deem valuable that is what they'll pay for. I value
performance and reliability over a name, so while I own and like Zeiss
lenses, I won't be in line for a Zeiss camera until it proves to be a
better value than the alternatives.

--
best regards,

Neil