PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Can camera write as fast as the card can take? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=23539)

ABC December 23rd 04 06:39 AM

Can camera write as fast as the card can take?

People are chasing after faster cards, now up to 20M/s.
I am just wondering if the camera can use all the speed at all. There
is no information I can see in the spec about how fast the camera
writes. e.g. if your camera cannot write faster than 10m/s , then why
but a 20M/s card?

Can anyone tell me where I can find such spec for the camera? I am
thinking about a FZ 20, in particular.

ABC
Do not reply by email.

David J Taylor December 23rd 04 07:56 AM

ABC wrote:
People are chasing after faster cards, now up to 20M/s.
I am just wondering if the camera can use all the speed at all. There
is no information I can see in the spec about how fast the camera
writes. e.g. if your camera cannot write faster than 10m/s , then why
but a 20M/s card?

(a) your USB 2.0 reader may be able to use the increased read speed

(b) your next camera may be able to use the increased write speed

Can anyone tell me where I can find such spec for the camera? I am
thinking about a FZ 20, in particular.

When writing movies the FZ20 writes at around 0.5MB/s. Perhaps TIFF or
continuous shooting would be a worse case? I don't think it can use the
faster 9MB/s of cards like the Kingmax Platinum.

My own feeling is to get the fastest cards you can, within a reasonable
price mark up. Perhaps not costing more than 10% than standard?

Cheers,
David

Phil Stripling December 23rd 04 05:19 PM

See
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007
for some data comparing cameras and CF cards of varying speeds and
capacities.

ABC December 24th 04 06:00 AM

thanks. Very interesting to see how different cameras write at
different speeds to the same card.

On 23 Dec 2004 09:19:07 -0800, Phil Stripling
wrotd:

Phil Stripling December 24th 04 06:06 AM

ABC writes:

On 23 Dec 2004 09:19:07 -0800, Phil Stripling
wrotd:

I did not. I never wrotd in my life. It's I lie, I tell you.

Phil Stripling December 24th 04 06:06 AM