PhotoBanter.com

-   35mm Photo Equipment (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Focus ring jammed (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=15893)

Matthew McGrattan October 12th 04 12:48 PM

Focus ring jammed

Hi,

I picked up a 2nd hand Soligor tele lens recently.

The focusing ring seems completely jammed. Unmovable.

The glass is clean and the aperture stops down properly so it's worth
my spending a little time fixing it.

Anyone point to any tips or a web-site with instructions for cleaning,
lubing and then reassembling a lens of this type - it's a 135mm
short-ish tele lens?

I thought for a few seconds that it might even be a fixed focus lens
(it's jammed so solid) but the lens seems to be focused at a distance
that wouldn't make sense as a hyperfocal length at any aperture.

Thanks,

Matt

Uranium Committee October 13th 04 02:38 AM

Matthew McGrattan wrote in message . ..

Is there a high-rise building where you live? take the elevator to the
top. Go out on the roof. Drop lens over the side. Make sure no-one is
hurt.

Matthew McGrattan October 13th 04 02:07 PM

On 12 Oct 2004 18:38:09 -0700, (Uranium
Committee) wrote:

Matthew McGrattan wrote in message . ..

Is there a high-rise building where you live? take the elevator to the
top. Go out on the roof. Drop lens over the side. Make sure no-one is
hurt.

No doubt I should be buying some uber-LeicaZeissNikor lens or
something. But in the real world (where I am a student with no money)
any lens is better than no lens (and I paid less than the price of
packet of cigarette for it).

Matt

Mike October 13th 04 02:33 PM

"Matthew McGrattan" wrote in message
No doubt I should be buying some uber-LeicaZeissNikor lens or
something. But in the real world (where I am a student with no money)
any lens is better than no lens (and I paid less than the price of
packet of cigarette for it).

Matt

Chances are Matt that the lens was dropped before you purchased it.

Matthew McGrattan October 13th 04 04:49 PM

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:33:35 GMT, "Mike"
wrote:

"Matthew McGrattan" wrote in message
.. .
No doubt I should be buying some uber-LeicaZeissNikor lens or
something. But in the real world (where I am a student with no money)
any lens is better than no lens (and I paid less than the price of
packet of cigarette for it).

Matt

Chances are Matt that the lens was dropped before you purchased it.

yeah, that is entirely possible. If I can't get it to focus then I'll
just chalk it down to experience. Past experiences buying cheapo 2nd
hand lenses have been mostly positive.

matt