PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Geotagging app (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=130886)

Alfred Molon[_4_] November 3rd 17 10:39 PM

Geotagging app

Caan anybody recommend an Android app which records position and
altitude, and later you can add that data to the exif of JPEGs and RAWs?

I'm using O.I.Share for the E-M1 II but it doesn't record the altitude.
--
Alfred Molon

Mayayana November 3rd 17 11:31 PM

Geotagging app

"Alfred Molon" wrote

| Caan anybody recommend an Android app which records position and
| altitude, and later you can add that data to the exif of JPEGs and RAWs?
|
| I'm using O.I.Share for the E-M1 II but it doesn't record the altitude.

I don't have an app suggestion, but a possible idea:
If you don't find it you might be able to rig up
something with Google maps, which does offer
altitude.
Sample:

Enter this URL into a browser and you'll get back the
elevation (in meters) for Boulder, CO. The text is
easily parsed and the whole thing can be automated.

maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/elevation/json?locations=40.014985,-105.270545

That request returns this:

{
"results" : [
{
"elevation" : 1623.978393554688,
"location" : {
"lat" : 40.014985,
"lng" : -105.270545
},
"resolution" : 19.08790397644043
}
],
"status" : "OK"
}

But then of course there's the issue of auto-entering it
into your image files.

Alan Browne November 4th 17 12:00 AM

Geotagging app

On 2017-11-03 17:39, Alfred Molon wrote:
Caan anybody recommend an Android app which records position and
altitude, and later you can add that data to the exif of JPEGs and
RAWs?

Any trail logger that saves (or exports) date in .kml, .kmz, .gpx, .log
(NMEA sentences) should do the trick. But do check that it supports
altitude, esp. NMEA files as many do not record altitude.

Google Play is the source.
This looks promising:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...otracker&hl=en

I use a German product called "Trails" on my iPhone - alas not available
for Android.

I'm using O.I.Share for the E-M1 II but it doesn't record the
altitude.

As a stopgap you could snap a photo with the Android camera and (if
properly set) that data would be saved in the snap for later transfer to
the other photos. (tedious).

Pretty much any "trail logger" can be used for what you want to do and
usually the "tagging" can be made automated in post process. You do
need to know the offset from "real time" to your camera's time in order
to do that - no big deal using exiftool. (ie: your time zone and the
difference between "correct" time and the camera's time (unless you
sync'd it all before going out).

Important note: GPS altitude â‰* altitude above sea level of where you are
as the GPS ellipsoid is not referenced to sea level.

PeterN[_7_] November 4th 17 03:55 PM

Geotagging app

On 2017-11-03 17:39, Alfred Molon wrote:
Caan anybody recommend an Android app which records position and
altitude, and later you can add that data to the exif of JPEGs and
RAWs?

Any trail logger that saves (or exports) date in .kml, .kmz, .gpx, .log
(NMEA sentences) should do the trick.Â* But do check that it supports
altitude, esp. NMEA files as many do not record altitude.

Google Play is the source.
This looks promising:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...otracker&hl=en

I use a German product called "Trails" on my iPhone - alas not available
for Android.

I'm using O.I.Share for the E-M1 II but it doesn't record the
altitude.

As a stopgap you could snap a photo with the Android camera and (if
properly set) that data would be saved in the snap for later transfer to
the other photos. (tedious).

Pretty much any "trail logger" can be used for what you want to do and
usually the "tagging" can be made automated in post process.Â* You do
need to know the offset from "real time" to your camera's time in order
to do that - no big deal using exiftool.Â* (ie: your time zone and the
difference between "correct" time and the camera's time (unless you
sync'd it all before going out).

Important note: GPS altitude â‰* altitude above sea level of where you are
as the GPS ellipsoid is not referenced to sea level.

I do it the easy way. I take a snap of the location with my iPhone. All
relevant information is recorded.

--
PeterN

Alan Browne November 4th 17 10:17 PM

Geotagging app

On 2017-11-03 17:39, Alfred Molon wrote:
Caan anybody recommend an Android app which records position and
altitude, and later you can add that data to the exif of JPEGs and
RAWs?

Any trail logger that saves (or exports) date in .kml, .kmz, .gpx,
.log (NMEA sentences) should do the trick.Â* But do check that it
supports altitude, esp. NMEA files as many do not record altitude.

Google Play is the source.
This looks promising:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...otracker&hl=en

I use a German product called "Trails" on my iPhone - alas not
available for Android.

I'm using O.I.Share for the E-M1 II but it doesn't record the
altitude.

As a stopgap you could snap a photo with the Android camera and (if
properly set) that data would be saved in the snap for later transfer
to the other photos. (tedious).

Pretty much any "trail logger" can be used for what you want to do and
usually the "tagging" can be made automated in post process.Â* You do
need to know the offset from "real time" to your camera's time in
order to do that - no big deal using exiftool.Â* (ie: your time zone
and the difference between "correct" time and the camera's time
(unless you sync'd it all before going out).

Important note: GPS altitude â‰* altitude above sea level of where you
are as the GPS ellipsoid is not referenced to sea level.

I do it the easy way. I take a snap of the location with my iPhone. All
relevant information is recorded.

That sounds like the hard way given what the OP wants to do.

The OP's issue is automated tagging his Oly phots. Similar to me
tagging my SLR phots. (Though I usually use an independent GPS recorder
I can also use my iPhone for that).

If you record GPS continuously then tagging any number of photos after
the fact takes a minute to set up and a few seconds to execute using a
tool like exiftool or any one of a variety of GUI based tools.

exiftool -geotag=GPS_20171103_162238.log -overwrite_original_in_place
-geosync=-4:00:00 *.dng

(Just need to navigate to the folder containing the dng's before
executing the command. I keep a "template" of the command in a text
file so I just need to paste that into terminal, modify the gps file
name and let 'er rip).

Recording the position in a single shot is a fine backup, but pretty
tedious if you have 50 - 100 photos to tag afterwards.

android November 5th 17 06:46 AM

Geotagging app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...vich.geotracke
[...]

GPSPrune is free, has a GUI and work:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GpsPrune
--
teleportation kills

android November 5th 17 06:48 AM

Geotagging app

On 2017-11-03 17:39, Alfred Molon wrote:
Caan anybody recommend an Android app which records position and
altitude, and later you can add that data to the exif of JPEGs and
RAWs?

Any trail logger that saves (or exports) date in .kml, .kmz, .gpx,
.log (NMEA sentences) should do the trick.Â* But do check that it
supports altitude, esp. NMEA files as many do not record altitude.

Google Play is the source.
This looks promising:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...vich.geotracke
r&hl=en

Available on Aptoide too:

https://www.aptoide.com/search/view?...vich.geotracke

Tim Watts November 5th 17 11:47 PM

Geotagging app

On 2017-11-03 17:39, Alfred Molon wrote:
[...]

Yes - I do that too. A manual step, but in some ways simpler than
running weird geotag apps.

Tim Watts November 6th 17 11:29 AM

Geotagging app

On 04/11/17 21:17, Alan Browne wrote:

If you record GPS continuously then tagging any number of photos after
the fact takes a minute to set up and a few seconds to execute using a
tool like exiftool or any one of a variety of GUI based tools.

exiftool -geotag=GPS_20171103_162238.log -overwrite_original_in_place
-geosync=-4:00:00 *.dng

(Just need to navigate to the folder containing the dng's before
executing the command.Â* I keep a "template" of the command in a text
file so I just need to paste that into terminal, modify the gps file
name and let 'er rip).

Recording the position in a single shot is a fine backup, but pretty
tedious if you have 50 - 100 photos to tag afterwards.

That is useful - I've used exiftool before, but this is either new or I
have not noticed this feature...

What particular app do *you* use for recording travel geo points?

Joe Makowiec November 6th 17 02:35 PM

Geotagging app

On 03 Nov 2017 in rec.photo.digital, Alfred Molon wrote:

Caan anybody recommend an Android app which records position and
altitude, and later you can add that data to the exif of JPEGs and
RAWs?

I'm using O.I.Share for the E-M1 II but it doesn't record the
altitude.

GPS Essentials:

http://www.gpsessentials.com/

I still haven't figured out everything it does - which is a lot - but it
will record a track (with altitudes) which you can export as a .gpx file.
You can also save waypoints. I use it with GeoSetter (Win only) to geotag
images.

http://www.geosetter.de/en

In spite of what it looks like, geosetter is still in development. Get
the beta, as it has some recent developments which make it more useful:

www.geosetter.de/geosetter_beta.exe

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/