PhotoBanter.com

-   -   picture of IC Chips or Circuit Boards (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=57091)

Ohm February 13th 06 02:00 AM

picture of IC Chips or Circuit Boards

Hi,

I am trying to take some closeup pictures of Computer Printed Circuit
Boards with the letters on the chips showing, I need it to catalog
PCB's with what chip or manufacturer id or part#. I have used a SONY
DSC F717 in "M"acro? "P"ortrait and the Flower Icon, but unfortunately
the out come is either too dark when flash not used or washed out when
flash is used. I am using the inbuid pop-up flash. Also I tried using
with extra flurocent lighting, but not getting the result I expected.
Also I tried a +10 Macro lens but no good. I see so many people using
this SONY F717 to take macro picture, but no one has described how they
set their camera to do that or what lighting they have used. Appreciate
if someone can point me to instructions that are useful to take macro
picutres.

Thank you

Ohm

Charles February 13th 06 02:37 AM

On 12 Feb 2006 18:00:58 -0800, "Ohm" wrote:

[...]

Strong side lighting, try taking the project into the sun, as directly
lighter as you can arrange without casting shadows on the parts. If
that works, then you can set up with some artificial lights,
incandescent probably the easiest to correct for color. flash is
difficult because you can't see what's going to happen until after it
does. A flash with tent lighting should work, but a bunch of
incandescent bulbs would be easier to set up for low production.

Scott W February 13th 06 03:09 AM

Ohm wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to take some closeup pictures of Computer Printed Circuit
Boards with the letters on the chips showing, I need it to catalog
PCB's with what chip or manufacturer id or part#. I have used a SONY
DSC F717 in "M"acro? "P"ortrait and the Flower Icon, but unfortunately
the out come is either too dark when flash not used or washed out when
flash is used. I am using the inbuid pop-up flash. Also I tried using
with extra flurocent lighting, but not getting the result I expected.
Also I tried a +10 Macro lens but no good. I see so many people using
this SONY F717 to take macro picture, but no one has described how they
set their camera to do that or what lighting they have used. Appreciate
if someone can point me to instructions that are useful to take macro
picutres.

Try a flatbed scanner, for most boards this works very well.

Scott

Richard Tomkins February 13th 06 04:26 AM

picture of IC Chips or Circuit Boards

If I were to do this, this is my proposed setup.

Tripod for camera.

Small easle, this to setup the module on.

Desktop halogen lamp, this to illuminate the subject from the side, maybe 10
or 15 watts max.

Adjust physical light position so that you can see the lettering in the view
finder.

You could try an LED flashlight as well.

You could purchase a ring flash that goes around the outside of the lens,
but this may be too expensive.

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam...RING/RING.html

oups.com...

Lionel February 13th 06 06:16 AM

picture of IC Chips or Circuit Boards

Kibo informs me that "Scott W" stated that:

Ohm wrote:
[...]

This is the method I use too. It works very well, & is much easier than
using a camera.