PhotoBanter.com

-   Digital Point & Shoot Cameras (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Olympus camera overexposes (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=110611)

DaveC[_4_] January 21st 10 10:52 AM

Olympus camera overexposes

Olympus FE-20 p&s digicam.

Holding the camera up and using the display as the viewfinder, the exposure
looks normal. Pressing the shutter button results in an overexposed photo.

It doesn't matter if the flash is on or off; the resulting photo shown on the
LCD display is always overexposed.

Changing the exposure setting does have a little effect on the exposure.

I'm a bit confused; if the "before the shot" view in the display is accurate,
why would the exposed photo be different?

What might be the cause?

Thanks,
Dave

K W Hart January 21st 10 06:18 PM

"DaveC" wrote in message
Olympus FE-20 p&s digicam.

Holding the camera up and using the display as the viewfinder, the
exposure
looks normal. Pressing the shutter button results in an overexposed photo.

It doesn't matter if the flash is on or off; the resulting photo shown on
the
LCD display is always overexposed.

Changing the exposure setting does have a little effect on the exposure.

I'm a bit confused; if the "before the shot" view in the display is
accurate,
why would the exposed photo be different?

What might be the cause?

Thanks,
Dave

What do the negatives look like?

DaveC[_4_] January 21st 10 06:26 PM

Olympus camera overexposes

Olympus FE-20 p&s digicam.
^^^^^^^

What do the negatives look like?

??

Whiskers January 21st 10 07:02 PM

On 2010-01-21, DaveC wrote:
Olympus FE-20 p&s digicam.

Holding the camera up and using the display as the viewfinder, the exposure
looks normal. Pressing the shutter button results in an overexposed photo.

It doesn't matter if the flash is on or off; the resulting photo shown on the
LCD display is always overexposed.

Changing the exposure setting does have a little effect on the exposure.

I'm a bit confused; if the "before the shot" view in the display is accurate,
why would the exposed photo be different?

What might be the cause?

Thanks,
Dave

Are the pictures pale-looking even when you upload them to a computer?

Has the camera previously produced acceptable pictures?

Is thebattery OK?

Could be a fault in the exposure meter or in the 'firmware'.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

DaveC[_4_] January 21st 10 07:47 PM

Olympus camera overexposes

Olympus FE-20
- - -
Are the pictures pale-looking even when you upload them to a computer?

Has the camera previously produced acceptable pictures?

Is the battery OK?

Could be a fault in the exposure meter or in the 'firmware'.

Wouldn't these faults be evident in the "viewfinder" mode (before taking the
exposure)? When I aim the camera at light and dark subjects the camera
compensates by "irising" up and down to give what looks to be a
properly-exposed "preview" display. Only when the image is captured is it
overexposed.

Images downloaded and viewed on the computer are overexposed, identical to
when viewed on the camera's display.

This is a new-to-me camera (used) so I don't know the history.

Battery icon is green (fully charged).

It doesn't matter whether flash is on or off.

Ideas?

William Sommerwerck January 21st 10 08:56 PM

Olympus camera overexposes

Wouldn't these faults be evident in the "viewfinder" mode (before
taking the exposure)? When I aim the camera at light and dark
subjects the camera compensates by "irising" up and down to
give what looks to be a properly-exposed "preview" display.
Only when the image is captured is it overexposed.

Images downloaded and viewed on the computer are overexposed,
identical to when viewed on the camera's display.

This isn't what I remember you saying. Regardless...

If the picture is consistently misexposed, then the exposure-compensation
control (assuming the camera has one) should fix the problem. If it doesn't,
then the camera needs repair or replacement.

As I said, this discrepancy is not uncommon.

Whiskers January 21st 10 09:20 PM

On 2010-01-21, DaveC wrote:
Olympus FE-20
- - -
Are the pictures pale-looking even when you upload them to a computer?

Has the camera previously produced acceptable pictures?

Is the battery OK?

Could be a fault in the exposure meter or in the 'firmware'.

Wouldn't these faults be evident in the "viewfinder" mode (before taking the
exposure)?

Not necessarily. In 'viewfinder' mode one set of 'firmware' routines
operates to put an image on the screen; in 'picture taking mode' a
different set of routines determines the 'exposure' settings and then
encodes the image for 'saving' to memory, probably doing some 'processing'
and then compressing the data to a JPEG file, for point-and-shoot cameras.
Then yet another set of routines comes into play when you look at the
saved image.

Any of those firmware routines can become corrupted, for example by
physical damage to the camera or exposure to electro-magnetic radiation
that's powerful enough to scramble the bits and bytes stored in the
micro-chips.

When I aim the camera at light and dark subjects the camera
compensates by "irising" up and down to give what looks to be a
properly-exposed "preview" display. Only when the image is captured is it
overexposed.

OK, so the firmware that processes compresses and saves the image, may
be faulty; or the firmware that calculates the exposure; or the hardware
exposure meter (if there is one, as such).

Images downloaded and viewed on the computer are overexposed, identical to
when viewed on the camera's display.

This is a new-to-me camera (used) so I don't know the history.

Battery icon is green (fully charged).

It doesn't matter whether flash is on or off.

Ideas?

You've got a duff one. A camera shop may be willing to 'look at it', but
don't hold your breath.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

DaveC[_4_] January 21st 10 09:40 PM

Olympus camera overexposes

If the picture is consistently misexposed, then the exposure-compensation
control (assuming the camera has one) should fix the problem.

Compensation doesn't fix the problem, it fixes the symptom. The problem
remains.

The compensation range on this camera is +/- 2 stops and this is not enough.

If it doesn't, then the camera needs repair or replacement.

I'm asking questions to find out what the cause is. Repair options to be
considered after this is determined.

Thanks.

William Sommerwerck January 21st 10 09:40 PM

Olympus camera overexposes

Any of those firmware routines can become corrupted,
for example by physical damage to the camera or exposure
to electro-magnetic radiation that's powerful enough to
scramble the bits and bytes stored in the micro-chips.

It doesn't work that way. And if it did, the firmware would likely fail
altogether.

William Sommerwerck January 21st 10 09:48 PM

Olympus camera overexposes

If the picture is consistently misexposed, then the exposure-compensation
control (assuming the camera has one) should fix the problem.

Compensation doesn't fix the problem, it fixes the symptom. The problem
remains.
The compensation range on this camera is +/- 2 stops and this is not

enough.

If it doesn't, then the camera needs repair or replacement.

I'm asking questions to find out what the cause is. Repair options to be
considered after this is determined.

If +/- 2 stops isn't enough to compensate, then the camera is either grossly
misdesigned, or it's defective. The "cause" is immaterial, as a properly
designed and operating camera should not show this problem (or symptom, as
you prefer).