PhotoBanter.com

-   Digital SLR Cameras (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Speaking of misinformation - the corporate mouthpiece (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=108584)

Chris Malcolm[_2_] September 18th 09 11:38 AM

Speaking of misinformation - the corporate mouthpiece

Bob Larter wrote:
Neil Harrington wrote:

Some of those things, like road-building and the military, are legitimate
functions of government since they are beyond the ability of private
enterprise to organize, manage and pay for.

I'd argue that public health falls into the same category, & my opinion
is backed up by experience.

Everyone seems to assume there's something odd about the organising
capabilities of private enterprise, or of government (depending on
your political colour) which means they can't organise certain kinds
of large enterprise. But it's got nothing to do with the nature of
government or of private enterprise. It's simply the plain fact that
the free market is very good at delivering the goods efficiently when
the people who benefit are the people who pay. The problem with things
like roads, education, and health care, is that they have wider social
benefits that improve the whole nation. The market will always make a
complete pig's ear of getting such things right, because there's no
easy way of lining up the payments with the benefits in the way the
market needs in order to operate properly.

--
Chris Malcolm