PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Those little plastic windows appearing on lenses (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=128782)

Kevin McMurtrie[_3_] September 27th 15 07:32 PM

Those little plastic windows appearing on lenses

In article ,
RichA wrote:

They are being used on Zeiss, Tamron, others. Little clear plastic windows
that show the focusing distances underneath. Unfortunately, this is
meaningless, unless you use your cameras as crude range-finders. What would
be better would be with hyperfocal distance indicators, which these lenses
don't have, and they also don't have f.stop indicators anywhere either. This
minimalist look might be aimed at people more interested in look than
function.

http://tamron-usa.com/F012_F013speci...=2015&utm_medi
um=BANNER&utm_source=LUMINOUS&utm_content=F012-013&utm_term=BANNER

Most of this is displayed in the camera viewfinder or on the main LCD.

I greatly prefer simple lens mechanics so I say skip the fancy windows.
If it's dry friction mechanics, it may make dust when it moves. If it's
greased friction mechanics, it may outgas in hot weather or freeze in
cold weather. Those problems can be overcome with lots of little sealed
ball bearings but I'd rather just have some nice glass.

--
I will not see posts from astraweb, theremailer, dizum, or google
because they host Usenet flooders.